Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:34 PM

134 posts, read 412,882 times

Advertisements

For years I hated my curly hair---always wanted straighter,glossy hair. I once got it professionally straightened--and it began to break off terribly! Never again! I just learned to accept my hair and not mind the curl so much. Humidity,however,plays havoc with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
I'm sure that within a couple of years, curly hair will be back in, and women will be lining up for perms like they did in 1986.
Exactly. And women with stick straight hair will be frustrated that all the magazines show are styles with curly hair....

Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
I always envied Asian girls with their straight, shiney black hair. My Korean friend couldn't believe that when I told her. It seems magazines and other media are constantly emphasizing one standard of beauty or another so that very, very few people are always "in".

Old 05-29-2009, 01:30 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,429 times
In Thai fashion magazines they sell bleach so that women can bleach their nipples and genitalia pink. Dark genitalia is considered "unclean".

Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Having straight hair signifies affluence, ie that you have a lot of time on your hands?
ok, think of it this way: how much time do you think those girls spent in the bathroom spent getting their hair stick straight?

Old 05-29-2009, 05:49 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I have curls and am always trying to work with ringlest. I have noticed when a magazine is describing CURLS it is always WAVES or a curl that has been blown out.... never a true curl or ringlet. Is anyone else noticing this? And when they show someone who has curly hair getting a makeover in a magazine do you notice they always straighten her hair???? instead of working with her curls and showing her HOW to do her hair? Does anyone else find this as frustrating as I do or is it just me?
I don't have curls but I do have a lot of natural wave. I feel for you. I personally hate straight hair and I have been trying to get a good haircut forever and it seems impossible. I just got one yesterday and she did everything I asked her not to do.

We would all be better off working with what we "have" and not try to re invent ourselves to conform to society's idea of fashion. Why society makes it so hard to "be yourself" and celebrate who we are is beyond me.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:19 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Those of us with straight hair want curly hair, and vice versa. It's always the way.

A magazine isn't "forcing" you do to anything. It's your hair. Do what you want with it, and to hell with what anyone else says or thinks.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:47 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Those of us with straight hair want curly hair, and vice versa. It's always the way.

A magazine isn't "forcing" you do to anything. It's your hair. Do what you want with it, and to hell with what anyone else says or thinks.
With the title of my thread I didn't really mean ME I meant the population of curly haired women as a whole.... I think of all the young curly haired girls reading these magazines and I shutter.... My cousins are all young- in their teens and early 20's with curls like mine or even curlier!!!! and I haven't seen a curl on their head in almost 2 years!!!! Like I said, I don't usualy straighten my hair.... I think the last time I did was back in November and it was for a party.... it took about and hour and my mother had my children for the afternoon.... it was more of a time killer than anything.... But that was 6 months ago and I have to say I like my curls much better! So, I do what I want..... I just wish people/media would stop trying to force images into the mainstream.... it is a shame people feel the need to make others feel they need to be something they are not. That is what I am saying. It would be wonderful if we could all just be ourselves and help foster our own naturl beauty.... be ourselves... as I said... get back to basics..... I remeber in the 90's it was like all the barriers had fallen and it seemed like everything WAS accepted finally.... it would be lovely to go back to that...... in re. to straight and curl being accepted alike...

Old 05-29-2009, 01:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I have frizzy/wavy/curly hair. Ringlet curls underneath, wavy in the middle, frizzy on top. If I let it dry naturally, with no product I have what my mom calls a 'halfro', not quite an afro, but close enough.

I straighten my hair sometimes, but it takes me nearly 2 hours to dry and straighten it (thick hair...and lots of it). I used to get made fun of A LOT in high school for my hair and in class, certain kids would roll up paper and throw it in my hair to see how many would stick.

Now, I wear my halfro with pride, it may be a little out there and not quite 'normal', but I love it

Old 05-29-2009, 04:32 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
ok, think of it this way: how much time do you think those girls spent in the bathroom spent getting their hair stick straight?
Agreed. My hair is mostly naturally straight, but with "body" & occasional slight wave, and getting it sleek and straight takes me time. Just as having blown out curls/waves takes time & effort to achieve also. Natural hair texture is never promoted it seems (because they wouldn't make money off of that, would they? ).

I personally think that curly hair can be gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care