Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:27 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times

Advertisements

I have really curly hair and I love it, but it's just too time consuming with 2 toddlers, so I get the thermal reconditioning. Once my kids are a little older, I plan on going back to my naturally curly locks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 08:34 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have frizzy/wavy/curly hair. Ringlet curls underneath, wavy in the middle, frizzy on top. If I let it dry naturally, with no product I have what my mom calls a 'halfro', not quite an afro, but close enough.

I straighten my hair sometimes, but it takes me nearly 2 hours to dry and straighten it (thick hair...and lots of it). I used to get made fun of A LOT in high school for my hair and in class, certain kids would roll up paper and throw it in my hair to see how many would stick.

Now, I wear my halfro with pride, it may be a little out there and not quite 'normal', but I love it
LOL..ok this is an odd question so no offense, im not being some kinda creep..but you wouldn't happen to have any pics of your hair would you?
I want to see it..lol. Or a found (googled) pic of similar hair?

Old 05-30-2009, 07:58 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

Anyone else remember the 80's? When perms were more popular than relaxers and every girl owned a curling iron instead of a flat iron?

I've never had a perm OR a flat iron. But I do use my curling iron every day.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:18 AM

61 posts, read 166,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Having straight hair signifies affluence, ie that you have a lot of time on your hands?

I don't know; I agree with you that's what "tans" are about (they actually became popular in the middle of the last century, when having a tan signified that you were part of the "jet-setting" crowd and could afford to fly off to exotic vacation spots), but I think naturally straight hair is actually much more common than naturally curly hair. Not to mention that, as I said, the pendulum swings: 60s- straight hair was in, 80s- curly hair was in, 2000s- straight hair is in. I'm sure that within a couple of years, curly hair will be back in, and women will be lining up for perms like they did in 1986.
Strangely enough, in some cultures eg Asian, its considered "low class" to be tanned because in those parts of the world, rich Asian women sit inside the house & get "paler" while the slaves/servants work in the fields & get a tan. Hence the prevalence of skin "whitening" products.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:21 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
HI agree with you that's what "tans" are about
I disagree. I think people simply look healthier with some color, myself included. People with stark pale white skin always look sickly to me. I know their SKIN is probably healthier , I just don't like the pale look.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:29 PM

61 posts, read 166,894 times
From what I see about us white people wanting to be darker, Asians/blacks/ Mexicans etc wanting to be paler, I'm starting to think the "ideal" complexion is somewhere in the middle. Think Halle Berry! Or Alicia Keys etc.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:32 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I disagree. I think people simply look healthier with some color, myself included. People with stark pale white skin always look sickly to me. I know their SKIN is probably healthier , I just don't like the pale look.
You are talking about a "modern-day" context.
I am talking about historically.
Of course tans no longer signify a "jet-setting" status, as they did in the 1940s and 50s.
There are no "jet-setters" today; everyone can afford to fly now. Even the middle class can afford vacations in tropical locales. Having a tan now doesn't have the same connotations it did then.

You have to understand that up until that point (the immediate post-WWII era), pale white skin like yours was valued. It was considered the best and most beautiful type of skin. It signified affluence: it meant that you didn't have to work outdoors in the sun.

This changed after WWII, when air travel became safer and movie stars, socialites, and other celebrities routinely vacationed in the tropics.
Suddenly, it was a tan that signified affluence, rather than pale skin.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:29 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
This is the longest combined quote I've answered so far. My apologies!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I'll let you know when I find the fashion mags that feature women with short legs and wide feet. It isn't a bad thing either - it just is. I find it incredibly annoying that I can rarely find pants that have short legs: IF they have leg lengths at all it generally goes like this: long, average then petite -which are cut differently. I need a short, not petite.
I agree with you. I'm not sure what the difference is between "short" and "petite," all I know is short/petite is too short, and medium is too long. Always. Since grade school. Sigh.

Quote:
Now the pendulum has swung the opposite direction; as in the 60s, long, straight, flat, lank hair is back in style: the flatter, the better, apparently.

My personal preference, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, is thick, straight, natural hair, with some body and bounce to it (which is totally lost when one uses a straightening iron).
Yes, I don't get it. I have straight, fine hair. I don't understand people who iron it to that stiff, flat look. I don't think anyone should fight against their natural assets, but I could see someone with curly hair straightening it (or vice versa), just for a different look. But straight-haired girls straightening their hair??? Would curly-haired girls get a perm? I'm confused. If I straightened my hair, you probably couldn't see it anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

I guess the "flat iron lobby" has gotten their talons into the fashion world. Let's all hope that this changes soon.
Yes.

Quote:
... I'm sure that within a couple of years, curly hair will be back in, and women will be lining up for perms like they did in 1986.
Much agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
In Thai fashion magazines they sell bleach so that women can bleach their nipples and genitalia pink. Dark genitalia is considered "unclean".
Sigh. This whole thread is run through with the same observances, but please, give me a break (not you, Violett, "requirements" in general). I don't care if you're a "believer" or "nonbeliever," either way, we have "come forth" as we are, apparently that's how we were meant to "come forth." Geeeeeez. Can't we get over it? It seems so childish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
We would all be better off working with what we "have" and not try to re invent ourselves to conform to society's idea of fashion. Why society makes it so hard to "be yourself" and celebrate who we are is beyond me.
I always say this; I think fashion is fun, but I don't follow it with a blind passion. I like what I like (when I can afford it ), but I'm not going to blindly follow someone else's view, especially when I find it hideous!

I wish we could agree to not follow trends; it's way more interesting to see everyone's differences. Trends are created to sell product.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:07 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

Anyone else remember the 80's? When perms were more popular than relaxers and every girl owned a curling iron instead of a flat iron?
LOL! I'm a guy. I even tried a "Tom Selleck" perm one time. Actually I think it was a mistake. I wanted a certain look... pointed to a photo in the salon... when they were done I had freakin' curls! LOL! (Was just looking for a little more of a "feathered look" that was popular at the time.)

Anyway, *women* at the time absolutely loved it. I was shocked, to say the least.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:15 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I have curls and am always trying to work with ringlest. I have noticed when a magazine is describing CURLS it is always WAVES or a curl that has been blown out.... never a true curl or ringlet. Is anyone else noticing this? And when they show someone who has curly hair getting a makeover in a magazine do you notice they always straighten her hair???? instead of working with her curls and showing her HOW to do her hair? Does anyone else find this as frustrating as I do or is it just me?

Well, speaking as a guy, I think what hair style works, depends on a gals (or persons) face, body and clothing choices.

That being said, the most common hair style men like on women is generally long, straight to slightly wavy. Don't know why, but it is true. Maybe social conditioning, who know?

From there, since the media is largely run by men and mostly employs men, I suspect that the typical male biases are presented.

Go to a magazine counter... look at the women on "For Women" magazine covers... Now go look at the Car Magazines... some general description (with perhaps skimpier clothing on, LOL!).

Bottom line, the female form is marketable. The average guy likes long legs, long hair, tight waist, nice rounded breasts. So that's what turns up on magazine covers, for reasons both internal and external to the biz, but largely internal to the male view of female sensuality.

All that being said, there are definitely "hotties" with all hair styles... including *bald*.

Just a quick search on "hot bald women" turned this up:

http://www.staticbrain.com/uploads/baldwoman7.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care