Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:38 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,395,267 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of getting a loose perm but I don't really know much about it, other than I can get nice loose waves that my curling iron's won't hold on my hair.

My hair is naturally wavy, but more like beach hair wavy and the texture is medium thick and I have somewhat dry hair.

I was wondering what the process involves and how it can affect my hair and post treatment, price ranges, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 03:23 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,534,614 times
First I would cut some layers in your hair because if you have wavy hair, layers will really make it much more wavy...

But a 'loose' perm is a regular perm on large rods...it can do a little damage but usually is OK...They will wrap your hair in large rods, apply solution, let it sit, rinse it and then apply a neutralizer.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:28 PM

what type of waves do those result in? I want more of the look you get from a 1" in barrel curling iron which I have, but my hair doesn't hold the curl, even with my natural waviness. I usually cut layers in my hair anyways.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:43 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,009,981 times
I've been curious about trying a loose perm, too. My hair is really long right now and I haven't done anything to it in years. I'm starting to get bored with it and would like to try something new. I always just cut my hair off really short at this point for a fun change... but this time I'm thinking of trying going curly/wavy for an interesting change. I've always had straight hair... I have a little wave to it... but like yours whenever I've tried to curl my hair, it just never stayed. It always looked really nice, though... for about a whole 5 seconds!

My biggest fear is having this loose perm done, and then ending up with fried, frizzy hair. I love how soft and clean my hair is. I color occassionally... about twice a year... but I've never highlighted, bleached, or done any other chemical treatments before, ever. I don't want to have to keep gunky products and creams in it all the time to keep it from being "crunchy". This is the main thing holding me back...

Old 06-22-2009, 04:00 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,643,336 times
The only advice I have is - - - If your hair takes a curl really well, ask the hairdresser to use the largest rods!

It has been years ago, but I remember it like yesterday........... I was 16 and went in for a "loose perm", even brought in a picture of how I wanted it to look. My hair was just past my shoulders and layered long. She did not cut my hair, but I came out with hair about chin lenght and looking like a poodle!!!

From that point, I knew to tell the hairdresser to use the largest rods on my hair! Most of them would look at me like I was crazy for asking that, but in the end were very glad they listened!

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:46 PM

oh wow..do you have pics you can post of your best results? I just want to see what it looks like with the largest rod, or do you know where I can find photo examples online? and how big is the largest rod? I like how my hair looks when I curl it with the 1" curler but it never holds longer than a couple hours and hair spray weighs down my hair and just speeds up the fall out process! My blow dryer works better with curling my hair. I use a big barrel metal round brush and then wind my hair around it while I'm drying it and the waves hold for a day or 2 and it takes a lot longer to fall out.

I'm looking for more of the hair Lauren on the Hills had it, I think on her last season, those are the kind of loose waves I want.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:07 PM

I think peach is the largest rod... But perms relax after a week...so if you are going to really big with the rods, I suggest alternating peach with white. White is the next size down.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I think peach is the largest rod... But perms relax after a week...so if you are going to really big with the rods, I suggest alternating peach with white. White is the next size down.

good to know! do you know what the size of these rods are?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:04 PM

Oops....not white...purple. Purple is the next size down. It's been a long time...

Anyway, I would say peach rods probably are about 2 inches...that is a guess. You could probably check Sally's website and they should detail it better.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:09 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,525,888 times
The best luck I have had with a casual curl from a perm is to do what others here have suggested and use large perm rolers.. I always ask to have the solution left on less time than is normal. My hair curls incredibly fast and leaving it on longer it always gives me frizz. also after the perm ask the beautitian to trip it. Very long hair may not curl as well - say shoulder length. Give it a few inches cut - It will grow back sooner than you think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care