Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:22 AM

19,676 posts, read 20,185,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
One thing I purchased that really helps is thinning shears, the chunkier kind with less teeth, I think 15, instead of like the 30 that regular thinning shears have..
My aunt gave me a pair of thinning shears when I was 16. It's been the biggest lifesaver ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,814,943 times
My mom cuts my brother's hair, and she cuts her own bangs, and I never thought it looked bad. I'd never try one on myself though lol.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,459 times
I started trimming my own bangs in my early teens after a hairstylist gave me bangs that were thick, blunt, and an inch above my eyebrows. I looked like a giant toddler and it took about 6 weeks until they got to the length I wanted (longish side bangs). After that I refused to let anyone touch them from that time until I grew them out several years ago.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:31 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,999,972 times
I learned how to cut hair years ago. I was self taught. I can't cut my own hair but I've always cut the hair of almost everyone I know. I just have a knack for it and they keep on coming back for another cut.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:18 PM

948 posts, read 3,353,571 times
Default Just say no to Supercuts

When I've been short on cash I would turn to them or other's and I always regretted it. I realized that I watched what was done to my hair when it was done correctly that I slowly started trimming the front of my hair and then I started with the sides and even the back using mirrors. My last cut that I did was awesome and it's a short style. I only found two salons in my 10 years of moving around that were worth the money. The rest of the cuts were just okay and in no way worth the $60 or gasp, yes, even $100 that I paid. I no longer believe that paying more means you get a better cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I have heard from many of my friends that they have decided to give up on fancy salon haircuts. Many have gone from the $60 salon haircut to the cheap $18 cut at Supercuts, Fantastic Sams and the Haircuttery. Others have decided that in today's terrible economy even a budget salon is just to expensive and have moved to the $7 beauty school cut. The final solution is to either just shave it all off or go the home haircut route.

What do you think of home haircuts and have they been a possible solution to the terrible economy for you or your family and friends?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,036,387 times
I cut my hair myself; got tired of putting out the bucks for a lousy haircut that I had to end up fixing myself when I got home. Have gone from the chop shop low cost haircuts to the more expensive cuts (done by a supposed master stylist) and the quality of both were inferior.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 PM

404 posts, read 1,147,004 times
I started cutting my own hair around 7 years ago. My hair grows extremely fast and I need a cut every 2-3 weeks. I pretty much mastered 1 style and have stuck with it. Sometimes I tend to cut it too short and look like I'm in the military. If I have an important social function I need to attend like a wedding I make sure I cut my hair a week prior so any imperfections grow out.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:27 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,952,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
I started cutting my own hair around 7 years ago. My hair grows extremely fast and I need a cut every 2-3 weeks. I pretty much mastered 1 style and have stuck with it. Sometimes I tend to cut it too short and look like I'm in the military. If I have an important social function I need to attend like a wedding I make sure I cut my hair a week prior so any imperfections grow out.
Yes. I cut my own, too. I find that if I cut it a little longer than I really want to, for the following few days I can snip a bit here and there and get it just where I want it.

It's hard to get a good hair stylist.
Ideally, you would see someone with hair like yours: fine/coarse, thin/thick, straight/curly; who has it cut nicely and ask who they go to - but most people cannot do that to a complete stranger.

I just got sick and tired of paying for bad haircuts that I could not manage myself, so I learned how to do my own.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:05 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,359,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
What do you think of home haircuts and have they been a possible solution to the terrible economy for you or your family and friends?
My household is just one person, me-but yes, I cut my own hair & have done so for decades.

I don't have the income to pay someone to do it professionally. And if they screwed it up (as can happen), that would be unpleasant plus I'd be poorer off-whereas, if I make a mistake, at least I'm not in a financial hole at the same time, too.

In my teens/20's I had half my head shaved (the underside near nape of my neck), so that was done with clippers/buzzer. Now I have bangs, which require a lot of maintenance, but better that I handle that for free than be reliant upon frequent visits to someone I cannot afford.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:47 PM

192 posts, read 348,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I'm female with long hair and I have been cutting my own hair for 10+ years. It wasn't so much finances as the fact that I just got tired of stylists screwing up my hairstyle!

I want super-basic, almost all one-length hair that I can wash-and-wear (no heat or styling products) or put in a pony-tail. You'd be surprised how many hairdressers have a hard time with that.

I have a hip young friend who lets her BF(who is not a trained stylist) cut her hair. She has an amazing tousled pixie cut. People ask for the name of her stylist all the time and she just laughs.

Another friend (male) lets his 5 year old daughter give him a buzz cut from time to time.

So, yes, people do, and yes we survive. It's just hair, right?
Same with me. nobody understood what I wanted done. I actually just did my first succesful home haircut a few weeks ago. (I had a failed attempt when I was in middle school). I even did layers and thinning, I have a LOT of very curly hair though. so it probably hides my mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care