U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:12 PM

943 posts, read 2,873,960 times

Advertisements

I have heard from many of my friends that they have decided to give up on fancy salon haircuts. Many have gone from the $60 salon haircut to the cheap $18 cut at Supercuts, Fantastic Sams and the Haircuttery. Others have decided that in today's terrible economy even a budget salon is just to expensive and have moved to the $7 beauty school cut. The final solution is to either just shave it all off or go the home haircut route.

What do you think of home haircuts and have they been a possible solution to the terrible economy for you or your family and friends?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 03:21 PM

19,011 posts, read 26,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I have heard from many of my friends that they have decided to give up on fancy salon haircuts. Many have gone from the $60 salon haircut to the cheap $18 cut at Supercuts, Fantastic Sams and the Haircuttery. Others have decided that in today's terrible economy even a budget salon is just to expensive and have moved to the $7 beauty school cut. The final solution is to either just shave it all off or go the home haircut route.

What do you think of home haircuts and have they been a possible solution to the terrible economy for you or your family and friends?
Well, I'm a dude, and I dunno if I'm supposed to respond.

But I do cut my own mane many a time.

I pop into the barber's once in a while, but they destroy my mane with clippers and crazy barber chicks who speak all kinds of stories and either over-cut or totally mess it up

Old 06-09-2009, 03:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,376,716 times
I have been getting my hair cut at home for 20 years (all my life)..

My father has never been a barber so I have no clue how he learned to do it so well (maybe he practiced on my older brothers first..lol)..His haircuts have always come out better than when I went to a barbershop...

Im assuming you were talking to the ladies but I thought I'd add my 2 cents as well...

Old 06-09-2009, 03:48 PM

943 posts, read 2,873,960 times
Either men or women can respond. Sometimes a woman can cut their hair easier at home if they have long hair.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:01 PM

19,011 posts, read 26,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Either men or women can respond. Sometimes a woman can cut their hair easier at home if they have long hair.
You're probably right. The back side of the head for a dude is the most difficult and agonizing <thumbs down>

Old 06-09-2009, 04:10 PM

5,019 posts, read 13,101,114 times
I'm female with long hair and I have been cutting my own hair for 10+ years. It wasn't so much finances as the fact that I just got tired of stylists screwing up my hairstyle!

I want super-basic, almost all one-length hair that I can wash-and-wear (no heat or styling products) or put in a pony-tail. You'd be surprised how many hairdressers have a hard time with that.

I have a hip young friend who lets her BF(who is not a trained stylist) cut her hair. She has an amazing tousled pixie cut. People ask for the name of her stylist all the time and she just laughs.

Another friend (male) lets his 5 year old daughter give him a buzz cut from time to time.

So, yes, people do, and yes we survive. It's just hair, right?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:06 AM

27,236 posts, read 42,831,754 times
I cut my own...and I'm happy with the results.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 PM

19,513 posts, read 5,319,310 times
I trim my husband's hair with clippers between going in for a haircut. I trim my own hair, with scissors, also between haircuts.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 PM

19,663 posts, read 16,259,637 times
Default We Do Haircuts At Home

We have been doing haircuts at home for years now. I cut my own and no one can believe I did it and I cut 2 boys and my husband's. Not the economics but I too got tired of the hairdresser either refusing to do what I wanted, talking me out of it or just going ahead and doing what they pleased. I have some suggestions: Get some good shears from Sally's online or at the store. I paid under $20.00 for the light, shorter, I think about 5 inch ones give or take and have been using them for a few years. For the men or for myself when I have gotten fed up with the heat and the frizzes, I order clippers that have the one, adjustable blade - Phillips barber clippers - do a web search, mine come from Canada and last 2 or 3 years only costing $30.00 to $40.00 and I get the rechargeable kind. The two books that are good are: Cutting Your Family's Hair by Gloria Handel & Haircutting for Dummies (this gives all kinds of information about hair in general plus directions for basic styles). It is so much easier to do at home and the money saved is a great bonus. You can do this with these tools. I had tried those clipper sets with 20 attachments and disaster set in but the one with the one piece that slides is so superior. Husband and son get a haircut every two weeks.$$$$$$$ Go for it!

Old 06-21-2009, 03:05 PM

14,602 posts, read 20,411,121 times
hubby does his own cause stylists always mess it up and he got tired of it . also alot cheaper and faster .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or