Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:02 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,235 times

Advertisements

I have long, thick hair with some wave. I have been considering purchasing a Mason Pearson hair brush with both nylon and boar bristles for about $135. Has anyone on this forum used this type of brush by Mason Pearson? Is it worth the cost? I hear nothing but raves from those who own a Mason Pearson brush, but know nobody personally who does. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:45 PM

170 posts, read 893,270 times
My Mason Pearson cost around $200 but it is the full size model. There was a less expensive model but it was much smaller.
I used to have a wonderful boar and pneumatic bristle brush (most likely those bristles were nylon) but it is no longer sold at Crabtree and Evelyn. I went with the Mason Pearson and it is pretty wonderful. My hair no doubt shorter than your's as it is chin length to shoulder length depending on the time of year but it is very thick and has a mind of it's own.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:19 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,867 times
Maybe it's because I grew up a bit of a country bumpkin but WHY?!?!?! would you spend over a hundred bucks on a hairbrush? :O

Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 AM

40 posts, read 273,030 times
A natural conditioning oil comes from a gland at the roots of our hair and brushing with one of these baby's is supposed to spread it along the length of hair and also massages the scalp. Awesome brush but I dont think I could spend that much for one...nope. Unless I found a better deal on ebay

Old 02-08-2008, 07:46 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,158 times
My granmother had one for years and years and years.

My two sisters and I all had long hair as kids/teenagers, and loved it when we went to visit granny, as it was the only brush that would make our hair smooth and de-tangled without pain!

It had a mix of stiff bristles and softer ones, quite a big paddle shape.

If I still had long hair, I'd pay the money.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:05 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,174 times
I must be living in the stone ages, $125.00 for a brush.......I thought $14.99 at Walmart was excessive, I use a brush I bought from Avon nearly 35 yrs. ago, for about $3,99 and still going strong, even being washed monthly.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:34 AM

28 posts, read 123,751 times
I've had mine for over 20 years ...still is as great as it was when I first got it. It just rinse it with shampoo once a week. The $14.99 brush from the drug store doesn't last more than a year before it starts to lose it's bristles!!! It is a well made investment!!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,235 times
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the person who suggested I order from Tressence.com and get the Mason Pearson hair brush. I mulled it over for weeks before deciding to get the large boar and nylon bristle brush for $134, which, according to the above post, costs normallly $200. Not only did I get fast and great service, but I LOVE THIS HAIR BRUSH.]
What is so great about it? Well, the nylon bristles are very fine and nothing like what I had from Sally's. The boar bristles are also fine, which, combined, makes for a long and silky brush from scalp to mid-back where my hair ends.
Is one of these Mason Pearson hair brushes worth the money? OMG, yes!!!!!
Like I said, I am pretty frugal about alot of things; but, since I am no longer cutting my hair and have learned to cut my own bangs, the only thing I have to go to a beauty shop for is to trim the ends of my hair every few months; so, I figured, to keep my hair long and silky I should get the BEST brush.
I love this brush. It is worth every penny. And the service I got from the company selling them as state above was just above excellent. I am one happy girl today!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 12:30 AM

160 posts, read 164,509 times
They are a MUST HAVE.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 17,221 times
Default Yes!

I just bought my mason pearson pocket bristle and nylon brush today, after months of milling it over and saving. My hair is mid back length and very fine, I am trying to grow it to waist length and the ends get dry because I have to wash it every day. I believe this brush was a good investment, it is gentle yet effective and is supposed to clean the hair as well as distribute the oils evenly along the hair shaft. After the first use I could see that my hair was smoother with less flyways, I would definitely recommend this brush for anyone who is trying to grow their hair but if you have short hair and get frequent cuts I don't think you really need it.
Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care