Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 14,708 times

Advertisements

So, why not buy the conditioner with the shampoo if it dries your hair so much so that it breaks off which I don't believe! Really! What a bunch of idiot comments that are so severe as to blame the product! I've been using this on my very fine hair and never had a problem! Love Gee and always will!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
I used to LOVE THAT SHAMPOO!!!!!!!
The smell lingered for DAYS!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 11,441 times
Default Gee your hair smells terrific ingredients

I used GYHST shampoo and conditioner during the 1970's. It was a great shampoo. It didnt dry my hair or break it off. I also used "agree" shampoo and conditioner alot and "body-on tap", (which smelled like beer) occasionally...then they were all gone without any word as to why. Many years later...i came across a post somewhere online stating that GYHST shampoo was taken off the market because of some bad ingredients...Whatever the questionable ingredients were must have been really bad to take that shampoo off the market because everyone I knew either used it religiously or wanted it badly. If anyone knows more about why the manufacturers of gee your hair smells terrific shampoo stopped making the ORIGINAL 70's shampoo (not what is made under the same name in the phillipeans) please post. THanks!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific
Body on Tap
Faberge Organics
Lemon Up
Protein 21
Clairol Herbal Essence

I tried 'em all, and then some!

I wouldn't buy Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific now, though, not even for nostalgia's sake. Too expensive!

Old 02-09-2013, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 11,371 times
I purchased, GEE YOUR HAIR SMELLS TERRIFIC I loved the smell. I am returning mine as it smells like a tar shampoo I use on my dog. VERY DISAPPOINTED. The purchase price of $14.95 each was high but I treated myself. It is going back today. shampoo & conditioner, I purchased at the Vermont Country Store.

Rustybar1

Old 03-12-2013, 01:00 PM

6 posts, read 19,363 times
Please do NOT order Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific from Vermont Country Store. Most of their products are great but this is not one of them. I have undergone chemo and was just getting my hair back (it's a pixie now) and my husband (yes, since the 70's too) remembered how much we both loved it. Of course, being the 70's his hair was quite as long as mine. He called and said it had come but he sounded funny. When I got home and opened the bottle, I really did cry with disappointment. He thought maybe it was just him but this Philippine knock off is not remotely the same scent! You could smell the old version all over the house from the shower. NOT the same product at all.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 22,234 times
The GYHST shampoo sold on ebay from the Philipines is the original thing. The stuff sold by The Vermont Country Store is not. It is a cheap cast off that can't keep a scent more than the time it takes for your hair to dry. The original formula by Jergens was sold to Vibelle; therefore, the Vermont Country Store had to imitate it.

When I used it in the 70s, I was a lot younger and my hair was virgin, so it worked great for me. I did notice it dries my hair out if I use it often, but after some 40 years of perms and coloring, what do you expect?? Besides, after paying for shipping from the Philipines, it's not using it daily is an option anyway.

I threw out the stuff from VCStore because it's a pale imitation, and I use the real stuff now rarely, and occasionally as a body wash, instead of shampoo, just because of the memories and it smells so good. I suppose you could hand wash a shirt in it now and then, as well.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 22,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie may View Post
Please do NOT order Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific from Vermont Country Store. ... this Philippine knock off is not remotely the same scent! NOT the same product at all.
You're right about one thing, but wrong about the source.

The Vermont Country Store does NOT sell the stuff from the Philipines. You're talking about two DIFFERENT products. The expensive stuff I got from the Philipines a couple of years ago was the real deal.

I used it back in the 70s, and I still have an original bottle of it from way back when. (I'd gone into the military, and all my stuff was boxed up and placed in my folk's basement. I never moved back home, so I didn't reopen the boxes for over 30 years). When I got the bottle from the Philipines, I did a comparison of smell and usage with my original bottle, and aside from being a tiny bit thinner (It's possible my original bottle thickened up over the years, although I seem to recall it was thicker) the scent was exactly the same.

However, when I got my bottle from the Vermont Country Store, it was NOT the same at ALL. I threw it out. It was a waste of money. It is an imitation.

However, I also bought the Lemon Up shampoo from them, and I thought that was MUCH closer to the original. I do like the VCStore, even though their items are incredibly overpriced, but this time they were waaaaaay off. As I stated in my previous post, they don't have the rights to the original formula, but where they screwed up was copying the bottle and pretending it was the same.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times
I remember Gee your hair smells terrific and I still remember the commercial so nostalgic

Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
I don't really think about how my hair smells; that is unless I've been to a salon and they used product that contained so many chemicals that it took days to get the stench out!

I've used expensive shampoos and have also used shampoos that cost $1.00. The lower cost shampoo does just as good as the expensive products, with no icky after-smell, no drying out of my hair, no hair breakage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care