Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 AM

226 posts, read 787,645 times

Advertisements

and they say its complimentary, do you still tip them? I think they spend about 15 min on the consultation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 03:30 PM

320 posts, read 1,069,591 times
Interesting question......

If I liked what they said and made a "real" appointment on the spot, I don't think that I would tip (the "promise" of a real appointment and income for them is essentially the "tip"). But if I either didn't like what they said, or didn't feel a connection and knew that I would not be returning, I would probably tip about $5 for their time.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM

892 posts, read 3,160,147 times
I have never heard of a stylist consultation however I would not tip for the time. Complimentary means just that not to mention, stylists here rent their stations rather than work for an hourly wage.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 PM

320 posts, read 1,069,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
stylists here rent their stations rather than work for an hourly wage.
A lot of salons in this are are booth rental, but not all of them. You are right....complementary is complementary, so what you do (tip or not) is totally acceptable not to, but probably a welcome bonus if you do.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
they have given you their time and their professional opinion. I think a "tip" would be in order. But I've never heard of a consultation either.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 PM

27 posts, read 146,617 times
I just thought I'd put my two cents in... I'm a hairstylist and I have never been tipped for a consultation. Nor have I ever expected a tip for spending time with a potential client. (Not that I expect a tip in general...) I'm sure that if you did offer something to your stylist they would appreciate it, but in my opinion it's definitely not necessary. A good stylist will spend time with you communicating and try to make you comfortable and happy. If a stylist succeeds in that within a 15 minute consultation, they will make up for whatever time was spent with you.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 AM

239 posts, read 1,092,117 times
Just out of curiosity, what do most people tip for cut/highlights etc? Do you give a percentage%? Or do you base it on how much time etc. the stylist spends? Some times I have sat for 3-4 hours with someone working on my hair and others whick through in an hour and a half.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
they have given you their time and their professional opinion. I think a "tip" would be in order. But I've never heard of a consultation either.
So when you go to Burger King and ask the cashier "is the new angry whopper good?" you should tip them because they have given you their time and professional opinion? I know this is an exaggeration but you can see we will be headed down this road very soon. Tipping is getting almost as out of control as "fees" are.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:39 AM

553 posts, read 1,271,601 times
If a stylist does something costly and time consuming or if you have concerns about your hair like damage, a consult is a good idea. For example, if you have a thermal straightening, a good stylist will have a consultation to make sure that your hair is not damaged, explain the process etc.. This is especially helpful if you are shopping around for the right stylist.

I have used consults for thermal straightening. My previous stylist actually showed me pictures of some of clients to determine which treatment would be best.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:45 AM

226 posts, read 787,645 times
Snarky....that is what I had the consult for. If I may ask, which treatment did you end up going with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care