U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 12:18 PM

15 posts, read 61,847 times

Advertisements

I stopped by at a friend's house last week and was a bit shocked to see her 6 yr brother sitting at the kitchen table with his hair in hot rollers. I hadn't seen him for a while but knew his hair was getting longer and wavier but had no idea the waves could have been due to artificial methods. He seemed pretty sheepish at me seeing him like that, but according to my friend his mom's been curling it regularly now for a few months and he seems to like it/be okay with it.

I work at a beauty salon p/t so I mentioned this to some of the stylist and asked what they thought. 4 out of the 6 I spoke with had curled boys hair at some point, mostly like for fancy dress or some special event, but one stylist said she had worked at one placed before where she had two mom's who brought their boys in more regular.

They told me that this sort of thing seems to cycle with longer hair for boys being in and out of fashion and with it back in fashion it would probably grow again too.

We also got onto hair straightening and this was an even more common for boys right now. Most of the stylist again said that they had straightened a boys hair at the salon with a straightening iron in the past few months at least and that boys seemed more willing to give that a go.

What do you think?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 12:41 PM

15,607 posts, read 38,740,487 times
I straighten my 15 year old son's hair. Of course, he'd be mortified if any of his friends knew mom straightens his hair with an iron. His hair is naturally curly/wavy when it's long, so I've never had to curl it for him. He just recently got it all cut off though. It's now in a flat top style. He wanted to try a new look. So I won't be straightening his hair for a few months. I don't think it's all that unusual for boys to have things done to their hair such as curling or straightening, but most boys probably don't go telling their friends about it.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:42 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,390,603 times
It used to be a common thing, long ago. But I'd not heard of anyone going to these measures as of late. Interesting.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:46 PM

87 posts, read 256,122 times
It is very common. I would tell my friends, lol.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I straighten my 15 year old son's hair. Of course, he'd be mortified if any of his friends knew mom straightens his hair with an iron. His hair is naturally curly/wavy when it's long, so I've never had to curl it for him. He just recently got it all cut off though. It's now in a flat top style. He wanted to try a new look. So I won't be straightening his hair for a few months. I don't think it's all that unusual for boys to have things done to their hair such as curling or straightening, but most boys probably don't go telling their friends about it.
That's interesting! A stylist said the same thing to me about mom's doing much more than people think. I am going to check with some of my girl friends and see if they will tell me any secrets

Old 09-26-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watgirljl View Post
That's interesting! A stylist said the same thing to me about mom's doing much more than people think. I am going to check with some of my girl friends and see if they will tell me any secrets
It's a lot more common than you think. My son (before the flat top) had gorgeous hair. I thought it was absolutely beautiful when it was naturally wavy, but it was so shiny and pretty when it was straight. (He hates it when I say his hair is "pretty" ). I tried to show him how to use the flat iron himself, but he looked so uncomfortable with it that I thought he was going to burn himself. When he grows the hair out, maybe we'll try this again - paying particular attention to the fact that there are ears - and they stick out, so try not to get them caught in the iron!

Old 09-26-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
It's a lot more common than you think. My son (before the flat top) had gorgeous hair. I thought it was absolutely beautiful when it was naturally wavy, but it was so shiny and pretty when it was straight. (He hates it when I say his hair is "pretty" ). I tried to show him how to use the flat iron himself, but he looked so uncomfortable with it that I thought he was going to burn himself. When he grows the hair out, maybe we'll try this again - paying particular attention to the fact that there are ears - and they stick out, so try not to get them caught in the iron!
LOL! Maybe they should teach these things in school

Maybe there will be a new line of MEN's hair straighteners coming out with more macho names and packaging.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watgirljl View Post
LOL! Maybe they should teach these things in school

Maybe there will be a new line of MEN's hair straighteners coming out with more macho names and packaging.
Great idea!

Old 09-27-2009, 03:41 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,445,378 times
My husband has long, thick hair that he typically wears in a ponytail. When we lived in Florida with super high humidity he'd use my flat iron to "tame" it a bit.

...and I'd like to add that he's probably the farthest from "stylish" or "fashion conscious" as one could get (which I like about him! hehe). His straightening was merely for practical purposes.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:53 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,498,045 times
My twelve year old son always kept his hair very short because he has super thick curly hair that was very unruly. Last year he decided to grow it out. At first it was awful, but he was determined to still let it grow.

It is still by no means long, but he grew it through the "wild turn every which way" stage, and now it is curly but has enough lenght to settle it down. I think I like it!

Anyways, my whole reason for posting was that over this weekend he decided to see if he could straighten it with my straightening iron. He came out and said he had something funny to show me - - - OMG he looked hilarious!! His hair tends to be wiry, so it stuck straight out everywhere!! Him, his sister and I all had a good laugh! He decided to just let it do it's thing from now on!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care