Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:38 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times

Advertisements

I have naturally curly/fine hair so I always have an issue with this if my hair length is past my neck. Since it is...and I am wanting to have long hair for awhile...Any tips on avoiding "color banding" and "too dark of tips"?

In salon land they away just did the lowlights to blend stuff in..But maybe there is another way?

I use conditioners,leave in conditioners and do not overshampoo.

I am itching to finally break down and just henna it with some LUSH stuff as I want to go organic but I am afraid of it looking too red. Lately reds have just not been working on my skin tone the way I want. My natural lip color has changed and it just looks off without full face make-up to me.

Has anyone had negative experiences with Henna and hard water areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 12:41 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,884,612 times
To really grow your hair long, you'll have to stop coloring your hair. Hairdye really damages the ends every time you color and you have to get a trim. It's hard to grow your hair long when you color your hair. It's best to stop coloring your hair, get your last trim, and just let it grow on it's own.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:53 PM

I know...I have been doing the demi perm thing/glazes which require touch ups more often. (can we say annoying? lol) Which is why I am thinking about henna too as it wraps like a demi but hold more like a perm color. I am not sticking with my natural color just yet. There is not enough whites in it to look right and the brown is this "rat butt brown" that I really do not like. Makes me look pallid and waxy.

Does henna band like regular color?

Old 10-03-2009, 12:56 PM

Yeah, but henna can be very harsh to your hair. You can do it, but make sure to go get a trim after you do it and just let the hair grow.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:57 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
To really grow your hair long, you'll have to stop coloring your hair. Hairdye really damages the ends every time you color and you have to get a trim. It's hard to grow your hair long when you color your hair. It's best to stop coloring your hair, get your last trim, and just let it grow on it's own.
Really? My hair is waist length and I've been coloring it for 20 years. It grows faster than I need to trim. I actually have to cut off healthy hair to keep it from getting longer.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:59 PM

Well, I know for me, I would have to quit coloring for while to get long hair again. Because everytime I color, I have to get a trim. So, it's impossible for me to have long hair again unless I quit coloring for at least 2 years. But I color my hair like 2 times a year, so I leave my hair shoulder length for the last 13 years now.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:01 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
The ends of the hair are porous, they tend to be older damaged
hair, grab and absorb color faster. Stop taking the color thru to the ends
unless your going darker, or don't leave it on the ends as long would be better advise.
If you got banding close to the root area, its bc you've gone up or down
a color level or two and didn't carry the color thru.

Last edited by virgode; 10-03-2009 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: typing

Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,045,388 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how long you're talking about, but I color my hair and my hair is very thick and very long and very healthy. You can color your hair and still grow it long and keep it healthy, shiny, soft and smooth. It's important to drink lots of water, eat healthy, and to use good conditioner on your hair to keep it healthy. I also never bleach or highlight my hair, I only color it using a color that is close to my natural shade, and I never use any styling products like hairspray or mouse or anything. I also rarely every use a hair dryer - I just comb straight and let air-dry. You also need to pat your hair dry gently with a towel - do not rub or roughhouse your hair while it's wet as that is when it is the most vulnerable to damage. Don't use a brush unless your hair is dry - only use a thick-toothed comb while it's damp or wet. I also never use metal or plastic clips or barrettes - only soft scrunchies or wooden hair sticks. The plastic and metal clips and things are really bad for your hair. Also those rubber bands which catch your hair are really bad. If you remove something from your hair and some of your hair comes with it - don't use that anymore, as it's damaging your hair.

Find a good conditioner and use it. I wash and condition my hair every other day, and I use a leave-in conditioner occasionally (about once a week) as well.

Good luck!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,257 times
Quote:
Not true...at all...

your hair grows from the root. You hair could be damaged beyond repair and it will grow at the same rate. Will it look good? no...will it still grow? absolutely.

Where is this 'color banding' happening at? Root area? ends? Nape?

Old 10-05-2009, 12:01 PM

Roots, nape, side napes? LOL...I dont know if that is a term but I have shorter hair around my face that is more blondish than brown naturally. Color really washes out of the side napes even with max exposure time/clarifying shampoo use before color on virgin hair. The hair there is healthy, its just very color resistant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care