Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:04 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times

Advertisements

There are many ways to put in dreads and you can add to a dread's length.
But you HAVE to take your time. If you just rip them out it is going to need a real hair cut after that. I know tons of people that have taken them out. I have even taken them out myself of my own head.

If you put in fake dreads, you braid them in with thread or your own hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I would even waste money on that kit (not to say it doesn't or won't work). I'm currently in the process of combing out my 16 months old locs. I'm just using some cheap VO5 conditioner, oils, and various detanglers . I wash and deep condition my hair regularly to loosen up the dreds then soak each individual loc in a cup of condition+oil+detangler. takes about 15 minutes to pick it out w/ a small paper clip. I try to take down about 4/night and started out with about 100-120 locs in my head. I decided to take them down b/c I wanted smaller locs (200-250. I doubt I could ever deal w/ 400+ sisterlocs!) and I wanted to try out henna in my hair, which i figured would be easier to start out with on loose naps

I've read blogs from women who've taken down 2+ year old locs w/ this method while still keeping a head full of hair. it takes forever though. I'd assume sisterlocs and other microlocs would take even longer, just b/c of their tiny size and the fact that some have upwards of 400-700 microlocs on their head! your hands would fall off after the first 200!

Last edited by eevee; 10-19-2009 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 10-19-2009, 09:23 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
True dreads are permanent. They need to be cut out. Dreads that are put in with an adhesive of some kind,,,*usually* can be removed with minimal damage.
again, no true. check out the blog below. I believe her locs were a bit over 2 years old. I read one blog (which I can track it down now) where the lady had her locs in for about 3-4 years and combed them out. she had to snip the last 1/2"-1" of hair at the ends to get the unraveling started I think, but she still have about shoulder length hair in the end

http://locsdiary.piczo.com/loctake-d...linkvar=000044

I think the most irreversible thing you can do to your hair is chemically curl or straighten it. that's just chemically altering your hair. I don't know why some women think you can "wash out" a relaxer in the rain. the hair has been chemically altered; plain water isn't going to do anything to it but just wash out all the product the salon used and make it a bit frizzy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care