Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm just venting, but if anyone has any constructive suggestions I'd be grateful, too! I got my hair done yesterday and, quite simply, wanted exactly the same cut as my hairstylist had done 3 months ago. 2-3 inches trimmed off (my hair grows fast), angled in the front, with long layers (basically, layers around my face cleaned up, but no new ones added). She got this just right last time around, and I wanted it to be just right again! So, having explained this sufficiently, I thought, I took off my glasses and let her work her magic.

Well, the trim off the length was fine, and she did the angles around my face, but she kept pulling up strands and letting them fall, saying, "Look, the layers have grown out," as if that was what I was after. With some more explaining, she seemed to 'get it' and cut a few layers in, but apparently not; today, having washed and styled my hair, I just can't get it to look right and I've come to the conclusion that the cut yesterday is what is wrong, not me. There is no movement, it just kind of hangs there. I'm going back for a touch-up since I'm not satisfied. How can I get her to make it look like it did last time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
I guess I'm just venting, but if anyone has any constructive suggestions I'd be grateful, too! I got my hair done yesterday and, quite simply, wanted exactly the same cut as my hairstylist had done 3 months ago. 2-3 inches trimmed off (my hair grows fast), angled in the front, with long layers (basically, layers around my face cleaned up, but no new ones added). She got this just right last time around, and I wanted it to be just right again! So, having explained this sufficiently, I thought, I took off my glasses and let her work her magic.

Well, the trim off the length was fine, and she did the angles around my face, but she kept pulling up strands and letting them fall, saying, "Look, the layers have grown out," as if that was what I was after. With some more explaining, she seemed to 'get it' and cut a few layers in, but apparently not; today, having washed and styled my hair, I just can't get it to look right and I've come to the conclusion that the cut yesterday is what is wrong, not me. There is no movement, it just kind of hangs there. I'm going back for a touch-up since I'm not satisfied. How can I get her to make it look like it did last time?
It seems like you and I have the same hair...although mine is way too short...that's my fault, I said it was ok to cut that much and wound up hating it.

Anyway, my hair doesn't just hang there which is nice. My stylist "texturized" it- was how he worded it. Maybe try that. It'll have less of a "bob"-ish feel to it.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:50 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Take a picture of it. Front, back and sides.

The condition of your hair can change how it hangs too. No matter what my hair does not hang the same in the summer as it does in the winter. I do cut my own and winter requires more layers in my hair. (naturally curl thats usually blown out/styled wavy to strait-ish)

Ask her if it looks like you need to switch up shampoo and conditioner too. Maybe its time for that too?

Old 02-03-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Take a picture of it. Front, back and sides.

The condition of your hair can change how it hangs too. No matter what my hair does not hang the same in the summer as it does in the winter. I do cut my own and winter requires more layers in my hair. (naturally curl thats usually blown out/styled wavy to strait-ish)

Ask her if it looks like you need to switch up shampoo and conditioner too. Maybe its time for that too?
I could kick myself now for not taking a photo!

It is in good condition (she actually said so, not me), and I don't think the weather has changed drastically since the last time. More layers seem to be what I need, too.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:54 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Maybe...It could be that its just in much better condition/thicker if you upgraded your hair care/diet. I am amazed at how many layers I have to put into hair that you can barely see the scalp through compared to normal or thin. Thinner hair is just like chop chop yer done. Thick hair...Its just keep needing a new layer..and then another...and then there it puffs up a bump and needs a few more..LOL

Maybe if you think there is a random holiday photo of you somewhere?

Good luck on the touch up!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 PM

Thanks. Good idea about the holiday photos, by Christmas it was already a bit grown out, but I'll have to ask around if anyone has a good Thanksgiving shot, that just might work! BTW, hair is thicker (maybe because of prenatal vitamins) but it would have been then, too.

Jdawg8181~ I'll have to ask about "texturizing." That's exactly what it feels like now- just a bob! While last time it felt like it had more style... if that makes any sense.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 AM

457 posts, read 889,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It seems like you and I have the same hair...although mine is way too short...that's my fault, I said it was ok to cut that much and wound up hating it.

Anyway, my hair doesn't just hang there which is nice. My stylist "texturized" it- was how he worded it. Maybe try that. It'll have less of a "bob"-ish feel to it.

The same thing just happened to me! My hair texture apparently changed, so when I went to have her cut it, the layers just kept blending in with the rest of my hair, so (we both agreed) she kept taking length from them. At first I HATED it...it was WAAYYYY too short on the top layers...now...almost 2 weeks later, it's kind of growing on me (literally, lol). I actually almost like it...I think maybe it was just such a drastic change that I went into shock! lol

Old 02-10-2010, 11:44 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care