Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,470 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm hoping someone could help me. My hair has been colored professionally (several shades of blonde) it was gorgeous - the first week. Now it's starting to turn sort of an orangey color. I've been reading up on the internet and I think my well water may be the culprit.

What I want to know:
1. What shampoo is good for stripping out the stains from the well water?
2. What is a good daily shampoo for keeping out the rust/iron but not too harsh - my hair is dry from the well water?
3. Should I start using distilled water to wash my hair?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 02:04 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,231 times
I would recommend the clarifying shampoo but I wouldn't use it every day. It would be very harsh on your hair. Once or twice a week is good. Alternate that with a conditioning shampoo that you like.

Do you have a water softener? If not, you should get one. If you do, when you get salt for it, get the "red out" kind. It's specifically formulated for well water & will remove the red stains.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
I would recommend the clarifying shampoo but I wouldn't use it every day. It would be very harsh on your hair. Once or twice a week is good. Alternate that with a conditioning shampoo that you like.

Do you have a water softener? If not, you should get one. If you do, when you get salt for it, get the "red out" kind. It's specifically formulated for well water & will remove the red stains.
I've heard about water softeners but I'm in a rental and don't really want to invest in that kind of money. Do you think using a filtering shower head would work?

Old 02-05-2010, 02:25 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
I've heard about water softeners but I'm in a rental and don't really want to invest in that kind of money. Do you think using a filtering shower head would work?
Got it... I certainly wouldn't buy a water softener for a rental. If the owners don't want one then you pretty much have to go with an alternative solution. I do think using a faucet/shower head filter would help. I'd try one coupled with a clarifying shampoo & see how it works.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:34 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,011 times
There is a shampoo called Malibu 2000 that is specially made for use with well water. You would probably have to buy it at a beauty supply store or from a beautician. It also has a conditioner.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
There is a shampoo called Malibu 2000 that is specially made for use with well water. You would probably have to buy it at a beauty supply store or from a beautician. It also has a conditioner.
I saw that product when scouring the internet for advice. Have you used it before yourself? If I get it I may have to order off the internet which isn't a big deal, but I'm anxious to use it now. LOL.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:58 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,472 times
My husband is a licensed well driller and I am a licensed hairdresser. dh said the first thing you should do is to call the board of health and find out where you can get your water tested, take a sample to see what is in your water. At the very least get the PH tested in your water it should be around 7. Depending on what your water tests for he said the landlord would be responsible to put a conditioner on your well.

As far as shampoo Paul Mitchell #3 shampoo is excellent in getting out the impurities, but can only be used a couple of times a month as not to dry out your hair. An excellent daily shampoo/conditioner I have found is Back to Basics.

If you have any other questions just ask. kelsie

Old 02-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Kelsie, that's some great advice there. Thank you. I may want to do that. My water may be getting pretty bad right now due to all the snow/rain we've had this year. I noticed that I cleaned my toilet bowl last Saturday and by Wednesday it had this really awful, nasty brown film all over it. It's disgusting. That's what made me start putting together the pieces of what was happening to my hair.

We also filled a bathtub last night, since we were afraid of a bad ice storm we had knocking out power and ultimately us being unable to flush the toilet. When we drained the tub there was dirt left in the bottom of the tub. YUCK!

No wonder my pretty blonde hair now looks like crap - and I just had it done 2 weeks ago

Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
I saw that product when scouring the internet for advice. Have you used it before yourself? If I get it I may have to order off the internet which isn't a big deal, but I'm anxious to use it now. LOL.
I've used it, and it seemed to do a good job, although I didn't color my hair. But, when I used to get my hair permed, they would always wash my hair with Malibu 2000 before they permed it. I don't use it anymore, since we have a water softener.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 AM

16 posts, read 130,803 times
I am a hairstylist, also blonde, & have had well water for over 20 yrs. It can make a huge difference in your haircolor. I also recommend Malibu 2000 Well Water Action. Paul Mitchell also makes a shampoo called Alternate action which would probably be easier to get in a local salon. If you buy anything from the store , make sure it says it removes mineral deposit, which is what is usually in well water. As another poster said - use only about twice a month as these can be drying & can strip natural oils. When you shampoo, leave on for 5-8 min, you can also put a shower cap on to help it do it's job. Rinse well & use a moisturizing or hydrating conditioner. Also , I always use a clarifying shampoo the day BEFORE i color my hair. If your hair is coated with minerals it can cause your color to come out with an orange or yellow tint -not pretty ! hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care