Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 04:53 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,829,403 times

Advertisements

OK, after many years, I decided to go have my hair colored at a salon that I go to for haircuts. This gal came very highly recommended, I had a half hour consultation with her (with 2 test strands), before I made my appt. I was very clear about what I wanted and didn't want, and brought in 3 pictures to show her what my goal was as far as color.

Well, needless to say, my hair came out quite ash and tinged with green, and the back is a completely different (much darker) color than the sides. I knew the minute she washed it out that it was not good but I couldn't really tell when she styled it because it couldn't see it that close up. I asked several people at work, my best friend, my make up consultant at Nordies, and another hair stylist and they all came to the same conclusion...too ash (neutral) and slightly green in some places.

I even told the colorist that my blonde hair (which was very pale yellow) would turn green if you put in any neutral because I have had that problem coloring my own hair.

I finally decided to call her about this, she was gone for the weekend. I want to ask her to fix my hair but now I'm a little hesitate to have her do it. Should I give her another chance, or if she gives me a hard time, ask for my money back. I know she won't want to do that. I don't want this to effect my relationship with the gal that cuts my a hair...

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,243,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
OK, after many years, I decided to go have my hair colored at a salon that I go to for haircuts. This gal came very highly recommended, I had a half hour consultation with her (with 2 test strands), before I made my appt. I was very clear about what I wanted and didn't want, and brought in 3 pictures to show her what my goal was as far as color.

Well, needless to say, my hair came out quite ash and tinged with green, and the back is a completely different (much darker) color than the sides. I knew the minute she washed it out that it was not good but I couldn't really tell when she styled it because it couldn't see it that close up. I asked several people at work, my best friend, my make up consultant at Nordies, and another hair stylist and they all came to the same conclusion...too ash (neutral) and slightly green in some places.

I even told the colorist that my blonde hair (which was very pale yellow) would turn green if you put in any neutral because I have had that problem coloring my own hair.

I finally decided to call her about this, she was gone for the weekend. I want to ask her to fix my hair but now I'm a little hesitate to have her do it. Should I give her another chance, or if she gives me a hard time, ask for my money back. I know she won't want to do that. I don't want this to effect my relationship with the gal that cuts my a hair...

Help!
I just had a very similar problem - my colorist did a poor job this last time and the cut was off. I called her up, voiced my concerns she brought me back in and fixed it right up (at no charge). Any stylist/colorist worth a crap will make amends straight away. In this economy no one can afford to lose clients. Just be nice about it and tell her/him what you think is going on and what you're really looking for. If after the 2nd time it's not fixed then I'd request my money back.

When you're spending that kind of money for a service you should come with the reasonable expectation that your desires are met. A good stylist will tell you if he/she don't think they can achieve your goal due to their skill set, the condition of your hair etc ....

Never be afraid to stand up for yourself - your hair should be your crowning glory

Old 05-25-2010, 07:06 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,539,309 times
When did you have your color job done?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:15 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,973,767 times
If it was me, I would find someone else who really knows what they are doing.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:24 AM

a week ago...

Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,539,309 times
They will offer to fix it before refunding your money. I would have them fix it. When someone goes in for a color correction, it is usually discussed between the hairdresser who did it and other stylists in the salon.
I would discuss it with the manager. Tell him/her your fear of the same stylist fixing the problem...

ETA...you need to make a move though...some salons have a small window (time frame) to fix/refund for a bad hair do...

Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 PM

well, I finally heard back from my colorist. I'm going back in on Saturday at no charge...she did admit she put ash tones in my hair (even though I asked her not to) since I had wanted to get rid of the "pale yellow". She suggested using a clarifying shampoo this week on the ends and then she will put a toner on my hair in a warmer shade. This was also suggested to me by another stylist (like in an 8G range) so maybe this is the way to go. I told her there has to be some middle ground between the "yellow" color and this ash, and she agreed.

She said because my hair is so porous that she doesn't want to put any warmer low lights on right now because she doesn't know how they will turn out. but maybe when she actually sees my hair she will change her mind...or else she really doesn't want to bother with me anymore.

I'm kind of hesitant to go back but what she said did seem conservative and reasonable, and I think she can fix it with better products than what I would do myself at home. I know I would be tempted to do something to it and it might make it even worse.

I just don't know how to get my hair to not be so porous...after not coloring it for 3 months, I would have thought it would be OK. She did comment that my hair was in good condition.

I'll keep you posted next week on how it went. Thanks for all your suggestions and support!

Old 06-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Well, I got my hair fixed...at least the green is out. I used Paul Mitchell clarifying shampoo #3 about 4 times, so by the time I returned to the salon alot of the green was gone but the ash was still there in certain places. But that shampoo did help so we had a better starting off point. Anyway, the conversation went OK with my colorist and she put in more low lights in using two warmer shades. In fact, there was a woman in the salon who had hair color exactly like what I wanted so she has a better idea of what I'm going for. Next time I'm going to have her put more LLs in...but I just have to wait and see if these even stay in. And if we go slowly adding the darker shade, I can decide if I really like it or not.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:49 AM

well, not to obsess about this but my hair is practically back to the color I started with, may a half level darker, and the low lights are hardly visible...I went to the salon to get my hair cut (my regular hair stylist) on Saturday and talked to her about the situation and the colorist was there so we had another discussion too.

I've decided to just part ways with her because she just is not getting what I want and I don't care for her attitude...plus she is very expensive to keep paying for this on the hopes that it might turn out the way I want one of these days. I don't want this to affect my relationship with the gal who cuts my hair, because I really like her and she does a great job.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:08 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,298,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

Help!
If she did this and did not immediately tell you that it didn't look good and ask if you had time for her to fix it, I'd never go to her again.

The girl who does my hair dyed my hair a strawberry blonde (it's naturally light brown) and then a few months later dyed it blue because I was on vacation from work and and going to a 4 day music festival (if I could have unnaturally colored hair all the time, I would). When it came time to dye my hair back to strawberry blonde for going back to work, it didn't turn out. it was a very wierd burnt orange in places and peach. She immediately said this isn't right and fixed it even though it took her almost an extra hour. She didn't just leave it and hope I didn't say anything. Sometimes stuff goes wierd in hair color. As long as your stylist is willing to do what it takes to make a quality end result, she's good. If she just does what she thinks she's supposed to, then sends you on your way whether it's good or not, she's bad.

Basically I think it's really wrong for her to send you out of the salon with something that was obviously green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care