Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 07:12 PM

948 posts, read 3,346,393 times

Advertisements

I've started swimming and it's so awesome. Great stress reducer and it helps a girls body stay in shape! BUT, it's killing my hair. I haven't tried a cap in years, but I do remember they don't really keeep your hair from getting wet. Do you recommend a newer swim cap or heavy conditioner or is there another trick to help colored hair from totally drying out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 01:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,180,016 times
Use baquacil instead of chlorine(if you can). Rinse your hair out with water as soon as you get out. Do deep conditioning nightly(the sun dries it too). It still kills the color but it will help with dryness. I do think baquacil is gentler on color though. You can see the difference really easily in how fast the color can fade out of swim suits even.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,529,519 times
Cap!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:42 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,640,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I've started swimming and it's so awesome. Great stress reducer and it helps a girls body stay in shape! BUT, it's killing my hair. I haven't tried a cap in years, but I do remember they don't really keeep your hair from getting wet. Do you recommend a newer swim cap or heavy conditioner or is there another trick to help colored hair from totally drying out?

Wet your hair thouroughly with plain tap water before you get in the pool-it will not absorb as much chlorine if it is already soaking wet.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,730,812 times
What about rubbing in a bit of oil? Would this just dissolve and gum up the pool? I too have that problem and have no control over the pool chemicals. I think a cap, even if it doesn't keep your hair completely dry, will protect it from being saturated.

I guess rinsing off promptly afterwards would help too.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:40 AM

466 posts, read 577,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Don't know if this will work for you - my daughter has curly, shoulder length hair and swims 5 days and sails 2 days. She found that if she thoroughly wets her hair then adds a few drops of her Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil rubbed into the hair ends upwards, but not the scalp and wrapped her hair under a swim cap it helped protect against the chlorine. After swimming she thoroughly rinses her hair, no shampoo, just water and pops hair under a towel for drive home where she blow dries it.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:56 PM

94 posts, read 159,322 times
First of all rinse your hair in tap water before and after getting in the swimming pool so that your hair is already wet and cannot absorb the chemical. One more thing, you should put conditioner in your hair before putting on your swimming cap and you can enjoy swimming without worried about your hair.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:55 PM

479 posts, read 2,216,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selina_miller View Post
First of all rinse your hair in tap water before and after getting in the swimming pool so that your hair is already wet and cannot absorb the chemical. One more thing, you should put conditioner in your hair before putting on your swimming cap and you can enjoy swimming without worried about your hair.
This is what I've always been told too.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:05 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,894,577 times
If its your own pool, use salt water instead of regular. If it's not your own pool, I bet your natural color hair is better than the color you change it to.

Obviously you want to keep your body in shape and aren't going in for the false advertising thing right? So if you're keeping your body in shape, why mess with the hair color? One the one hand you keep it natural and in condition, then turn around and make your hair color artificial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care