Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 05:16 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,101 times

Advertisements

Depending on your price and area resale down the road should be fairly equal on the southside and the peninsula. You should really think this thru if you will only be here three years. Could be difficult to break even in that short a span.

On another note a commute from VB to the peninsula can be a major PITA at times dealing with backups on the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. Why not explore options on the Peninsula ? What price range are you considering ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 05:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
Just my two cents, but I would live close to work. Long commutes can severely affect your quality of life, especially if you're commuting via bridges and tunnels that can back up.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:23 PM

71 posts, read 157,568 times
As mentioned in the previous posts, Newport News doesn't (any longer) have a specific "affluent" areas. When growing up the Gold Coast was strictly Riverside and Hidenwood. My parents were one of the "first" in Hidenwood. Also, as previously posted, anything on the James River is pretty well to do in Newport News. Actually, anything on the water on the Peninsula is pretty well to do. James Landing is still a middle to upper middle class neighborhood as is Merry Point Estates, Beverly Hills, Warwick on the James, Brandon Heights and Hilton just to name a few.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:11 PM

794 posts, read 1,408,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosenav View Post
We will be there for 3-5 yrs.... We fall on higher tax bracket n to save on tax we thought buying is our best option.
If you're in the 35% tax bracket you'll get a 35% discou t on the interest on your mortgage, not on closing costs, realtors fees, principal payments, insurance or property tax. And since in the area of the peninsula I know you'll pay roughly $500 more toown instead of rent the same property it will still cost you quite a lot to buy.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 21,705 times
Thank you for you response , we were more clear on our decision now thanks fr your inputs, we decided to rent as of now fr 6mnts n know more abt the Plc, my husband Is a doctor n recently got news that the river shore hospital decided to Move the hospital to another city sumthing like that.....so we will have to live on peninsula fr sumtime I guess.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 PM

It's interesting that I don't hear much about the Governor's Land community. You almost forget that it's there. I guess it's so wealthy that it doesn't make it onto a lot of lists of places to consider. At any rate, the OP might find it interesting. It's definitely one of the most affluent areas.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,101 times
Typically Gov Land starts in the high 400's, the mandatory country club membership turns many away. Its the only private club in the area and a beautiful community. The club has got to be the best spot in the area to watch the sunset over the river. Nice trails, along the riverfront, great marina area, boat storage for kayaks, trailer boats, golf, two pools fitness center, tennis,etc. I showed the OP homes there when they looking. They ended up moving back to NOVA

Old 06-09-2012, 02:04 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,137 times
Yes, I am back in NoVA. Although I did not end up buying in Williamsburg, I recommend "Mr Williamsburg" highly as a realtor -- to say he was very knowledgeable about the area would be an understatement!

Old 06-10-2012, 05:24 AM

ILD--nice to hear from you. Even though you didn't end up moving to the area, the threads you wrote back then have been helpful long after you moved on. There are lots of people following a similar path who have similar questions. This is why I value forums like this. In my 20s and 30s when I moved to a new town I had to do it almost blindly. Having a forum like this makes moving (or thinking about moving) so much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area