Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 05:40 AM

54 posts, read 108,656 times

Advertisements

I will be working on Jefferson Ave near Oyster Point.

We are going to rent for a year. Already have that secured. The place we are renting (house) is suitable to rent for a year but I would not buy there under any circumstance. The house is nice but I dont like the neighborhood. Its off Warwick near ft Eustis.

I dont care about the .mil people. I am ex army myself. Just an FYI there.

We will be looking to buy in a year, (that is if our house sells in NC).

The question is, where?

Budget - 175K ish. (Depends on rate, payment, etc)

I am handy so foreclosure is ok. The ONLY area we have found that we like in NN is the Hilton area. We have seen houses 165-180 in there.

Other than that, in NN we have found nothing that we would buy. We have learned our lesson about neighborhood changes and are going to be VERY careful about where we buy.

She doesnt like driving across the JRB but its a possibility I suppose. Maybe up 64 towards williamsburg but theres not much up there it seems (in our range , etc)

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 AM

140 posts, read 539,400 times
Can you provide just a little more info? What is the minimum # of bedrooms needed, minimum square footage, maximum acceptable commute time, would you consider a condo/townhouse or does it have to be a single-family, detached home?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:09 AM

54 posts, read 108,656 times
Single family detached ONLY. Bedrooms /bath? 3/2 or 2/2. Min sq footage maybe 1500? Must have garage or basement suitable for high quality and SECURE shop.

Commute - 30 mins?

We are buying in a year - not now just wondering what areas to look.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:51 AM

37 posts, read 87,560 times
Going up to WmsBurg area will net you some nice areas-but prices will be exponential too-gated communities etc. You might want to check east a little to the southern York County area and north Hampton (Big Bethel) area also nets some nice neighborhoods. If I was working at Oyster Point that is where I would look. HTH

Old 07-19-2010, 08:23 AM

160 posts, read 501,392 times
I would definitely check out lower York County. I think you'll find a good number of neighborhoods that will have houses that fit your reqs. Happy searching!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:25 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,966,713 times
If you want a detached home $175k won't buy much in York County, Williamsburg or James City County. If you could afford a little more that opens up many more possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area