Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM

92 posts, read 291,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brooklyn_NYC View Post
Does VB have a boardwalk with rides and games for the kids?
Va Bch is nowhere even Close to Coney Island..if that's what you're thinking..It's a WHOLE other ballgame..and it's 500% BETTER than anything you can imagine..IF, I'm assuming you're from Brooklyn!!

I can't even begin to tell you how much nicer it is..no storefront signs in Russian or Chinese..no urine stench..it's clean and friendly.

Trust me...I'm from the Luna and Marlboro Projects. It's nice here.

(Ok..there's no Cyclone, but there's plenty for the kids to do!!)

TGIF!!

Wendy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 03:24 PM

18 posts, read 56,759 times
I wouldn't leave VAB if you want that atmosphere (for the most part). I find it a different world there. When you drive out, the cities turn into nightmares (not everywhere), but in general the atmosphere is much more laid-back, take it easy, whatever happens happens, type attitude for most people. It's not that it's ALL bad everywhere, but the difference is just palpable.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:21 PM

92 posts, read 291,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrock View Post
I wouldn't leave VAB if you want that atmosphere (for the most part). I find it a different world there. When you drive out, the cities turn into nightmares (not everywhere), but in general the atmosphere is much more laid-back, take it easy, whatever happens happens, type attitude for most people. It's not that it's ALL bad everywhere, but the difference is just palpable.
Not sure if you're referring to my post or not..so I'll clarify..lol.

It's an Entirely different world here than Brooklyn. You couldn't pay me enough $$ to go Back to Brooklyn, even to visit!!

As far as cities turning into 'nightmares' Im not sure what/where you're talking about? To me, 'nightmare' would be Coney Island itself, or Bensonhurst, or ANY area of Brooklyn. Aside from some 'iffy' areas of Norfolk, I can't say too much about bad areas here. Not from personal experience, anyway. I live in SoNo and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Wouldn't be anywhere else. Moving here was the best decision Ive made in a long time!

TGIF everyone!!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 AM

93 posts, read 334,881 times
I just spent the weekend in VA Beach and thought it was pretty laid back. We got lost, stopped in a 7-eleven, and a customer suggested he'll take us to the location. We followed him and thought that was very kind of him to take 15 mins out out his way to do this for us. You don't see that in the DC area.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Glad to hear people are enjoying Virginia Beach. It may not be perfect, but it's got quite a few nice qualities.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 10,007 times
If you've never been to Sandbridge, give it a try. Just make sure you want to get away from it all -- there is NOTHING to do there but relax on the beach, ride your bike and hike/kayak the Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge. This as close to paradise (near DC) as you'll find. Shhh ... keep it a secret!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:27 PM

136 posts, read 515,768 times
I love VB! The oceanfront is clean. Yes it is all hotels (and plenty of restaurants in the hotels) on the concrete boardwalk, there is a Dairy Queen on the boardwalk. But the next street over is where the shops and food places are. It's a good family beach vacation destination. I have been to Ocean City and Myrtle Beach and if I had to pick one out of those I would pick Virginia Beach! It's a good half way point from the north and most southern areas and it's very family oriented. With plenty for the kids to do. Just look up the local activities for kids online. Ocean Breeze water park and the Virginia Aquarium is close by. There are playgrounds right on the beach. It's a great place!

Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 AM

100 posts, read 234,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
It was great!

Everyone was really friendly, including the waitresses at the restaurants, hotel workers and all the people on the beaches.

I don't get it, Why is it like this? Because a lot of people are in the military and they were strict and raised right? I guess I'm use to people in DC not being friendly and not talking to each other.

I stayed at the Cavalier on the Hill. All the reviews online said it was horrible. It was great!!! I was actually impressed by the service we got and for such a cheap price at the last minute! Everything was sparkling clean and every transaction at the hotel was effortless.

Ate at One Fish Two Fish based on the recommendations from here, some of the best seafood I've had in my life. Loved the Taki appetizer and had the Grouper fish special, so good! Had breakfast at the Pocahontas Pancake house, also great! Great service! Great food!

I haven't been to Va Beach in years, It seems like it has gotten a lot better. Now they just need to build a high speed train to get in and out so I don't have to go bald trying to drive home on a Sunday afternoon!

Va Beach rocks!
Yeah, I've found that most people only go to the effort of posting reviews when they had poor experiences, hence the litany of bad reviews on sites like this (no matter the region).

Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
It was great!

Everyone was really friendly, including the waitresses at the restaurants, hotel workers and all the people on the beaches.

I don't get it, Why is it like this? Because a lot of people are in the military and they were strict and raised right? I guess I'm use to people in DC not being friendly and not talking to each other.

I stayed at the Cavalier on the Hill. All the reviews online said it was horrible. It was great!!! I was actually impressed by the service we got and for such a cheap price at the last minute! Everything was sparkling clean and every transaction at the hotel was effortless.

Ate at One Fish Two Fish based on the recommendations from here, some of the best seafood I've had in my life. Loved the Taki appetizer and had the Grouper fish special, so good! Had breakfast at the Pocahontas Pancake house, also great! Great service! Great food!

I haven't been to Va Beach in years, It seems like it has gotten a lot better. Now they just need to build a high speed train to get in and out so I don't have to go bald trying to drive home on a Sunday afternoon!

Va Beach rocks!

We just got back from our second VB trip- we love it. Its a small world, slightly Southern-twinged version of San Diego, where we are from. Our favorite East Coast area. My DH wants to move there and commute up to DC Metro weekly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
VA Beach has no "boardwalk" in the traditional sense. It's a big cement sidewalk along the beach.

The one thing I do give them credit for is the lovely bike path along it.

As for the rides/amusements, it's very small. This is not Coney Island or the Wildwoods. There are not shops and food stands along the boardwalk, it's all hotels with large lawns between the "boardwalk" and the hotel entrances.

Here's a picture of it:
[url]http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/31779694.jpg[/url]
I am guessing you are East Coast only, never been to other boardwalks on the West/South USA and Mediterranean Coasts. VB is definitely a Boardwalk, with hotels, motels, Playgrounds, and a tiny-old timer amusement park. It does not look like a NY Boardwalk but has many activities/food options in common with NJ-style Boardwalks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
VB has gotten better for the tourists, but worse for the locals. Just check how quickly the population growth has slowed.
Wiki claims that Hampton Roads should plan on a 2 million population increase in the area for 2010 alone. Plus the funding for the new tunnel bridge is coming in, and Obama style gov't hiring expansion will mean more jobs, like DC Metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
VAB is a great place for a family.
I agree and would live there in a minute except; the burgeoning pop growth of people moving in from the North and SoCal will bubble real estate and I won't be able afford housing where I prefer and;
Health care services in Hampton Roads is pretty bad, esp., for those of us with chronic conditions and require specialized doctors. I've researched the docs I need and there are 2- not a good sign. especially for an area pushing 1.7 million today.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:21 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I am guessing you are East Coast only, never been to other boardwalks on the West/South USA and Mediterranean Coasts. VB is definitely a Boardwalk, with hotels, motels, Playgrounds, and a tiny-old timer amusement park. It does not look like a NY Boardwalk but has many activities/food options in common with NJ-style Boardwalks.

Wiki claims that Hampton Roads should plan on a 2 million population increase in the area for 2010 alone. Plus the funding for the new tunnel bridge is coming in, and Obama style gov't hiring expansion will mean more jobs, like DC Metro.
Only in CA a bit, but for the east coast, yes, very much so, and no, VA Beach is nothing like major NJ boardwalks. Not even close.

Where do we have a new tunnel coming in? The privately funded Midtown which could be as high as $17 to get through if Richmond doesn't cough up some money?

That project has disaster written all over it. Roads need to be publicly owned and publicly funded with taxpayer dollars. They are a necessity, not a luxury.

Private industry does not have the best interest of the American people at hand, they have their best interest at hand. There are certain goods that need to remain a common good and roads are one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area