Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:02 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
We just got back from our second VB trip- we love it. Its a small world, slightly Southern-twinged version of San Diego, where we are from. Our favorite East Coast area. My DH wants to move there and commute up to DC Metro weekly.

I am guessing you are East Coast only, never been to other boardwalks on the West/South USA and Mediterranean Coasts. VB is definitely a Boardwalk, with hotels, motels, Playgrounds, and a tiny-old timer amusement park. It does not look like a NY Boardwalk but has many activities/food options in common with NJ-style Boardwalks.

Wiki claims that Hampton Roads should plan on a 2 million population increase in the area for 2010 alone. Plus the funding for the new tunnel bridge is coming in, and Obama style gov't hiring expansion will mean more jobs, like DC Metro.

I agree and would live there in a minute except; the burgeoning pop growth of people moving in from the North and SoCal will bubble real estate and I won't be able afford housing where I prefer and;
Health care services in Hampton Roads is pretty bad, esp., for those of us with chronic conditions and require specialized doctors. I've researched the docs I need and there are 2- not a good sign. especially for an area pushing 1.7 million today.

Housing prices are dropping. I don't see a bubble anytime soon.

I can't believe about the doctor situation. Not that I doubt you. It's just between EVMS and Sentara I've never had any trouble getting seen for anything, and I've never heard of anyone else having that issue either. I hope they have plenty of docs to care for you where ever you may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 AM

144 posts, read 419,651 times
Default We visited VB Oct 22-24

Hi,

I didn't want to duplicate a thread about our trip to VB and hope it's ok that I add in here.

My sons (ages 12 and 16 years) and I just returned from a mini-vaca weekend. This was my second visit to VB Oceanfront and their first. We stayed at the Sandcastle Oceanfront on Atlantic and I thought it was a good choice for us. I have no complaints about any of our accommodations, check-in/out was easy peasy, they had everything they said they offered and more but better than the photos I saw. I would gladly stay there again.

The boys of course were not pleased at the lack of youth in our hotel. However, I explained to them that this was the off-season and that most families don't vacation here in October. Fortunately, they were able to meet a few teens Friday and Saturday at the different attractions along the strip and on the boardwalk and are going to be FB friends with them.

We came in from Maryland and checked in around 5:30pm on Friday evening. We hit traffic in Hampton but I must admit that it was not as bad as I had expected. I think it helped that I am use to bad rush-hour traffic in the DC area so this was just regular city traffic to me. However, I wouldn't want to be in that M-F.

I met a few nice people while there and I think it needs to be pointed out because usually there are more visitor complaints about the locals than praises. The lady who works at the 7-Eleven on 17th and Pacific is a super nice person. There was a nice lady customer on the premises who let me know that my tire was going flat and gave me helpful tips. I ended up at Beach Tires on 17th (?) where the gentleman, also nice, got us all set. The staff at Old Time Photos 21st Street were also super nice. On the way down, we went to WaWa in Gloucester and the gentleman there was nice to help me with my first ATM issue. We then stopped at a Wal-mart, I believe it was in Newport News (across from a Sonic), it was definitely before the tunnel and everyone seemed really friendly there.

I did not get to do the kind of dining that I thought I would. My children were not looking forward to sitting down in a restaurant continuously throughout the day. I think they would have been happy eating ice cream for dinner if there were girls there. We ended up eating lunch Saturday at 7-Eleven because I went there to get cash because NONE of the ATM's in Oceanfront were trying to give me money from my Walmart Prepaid Visa card (an otherwise good choice for me re: financial transactions on travel) but thank goodness for Citibank. So we got a redbox movie and slushies and spicy dogs and went back to the hotel where shortly the boys abandoned me to go rent another family bike. I used this time to catch up on homework.

All in all, good experience for all. The weather was good, no rain, no high winds, no overcast skies. We had a great time and my youngest wants to move down there (ASAP). We hope to be back during spring break in April though.

Last edited by Nikki75; 10-25-2010 at 08:08 AM..

Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 PM

40 posts, read 118,013 times
This is all so good to read since I am headed to VB this Thursday from DC to check it out. Had not planned a place to stay but I will check out the hotel in the post. I am now quite excited. Thinking of relocating there myself. Grew up in California been East about year and half, but miss the water. With work only have to be in DC a couple days a week, so would not mind the commute. One thing I REALLY DO LIKE ABOUT DC are all of the cultural events I participate in and the fact that the city is so walkable; meaning in Los Angeles I drove everywhere, here my car sits for weeks cause I jump on the Metro head to DC and do everything from go to the movies, visit museums eat at nice restaurants and take in a show, and all walking to each location. Whats the cultural scene like in VB?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 AM

144 posts, read 419,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatNEWTHOUGHTguy View Post
This is all so good to read since I am headed to VB this Thursday from DC to check it out. Had not planned a place to stay but I will check out the hotel in the post. I am now quite excited. Thinking of relocating there myself. Grew up in California been East about year and half, but miss the water. With work only have to be in DC a couple days a week, so would not mind the commute. One thing I REALLY DO LIKE ABOUT DC are all of the cultural events I participate in and the fact that the city is so walkable; meaning in Los Angeles I drove everywhere, here my car sits for weeks cause I jump on the Metro head to DC and do everything from go to the movies, visit museums eat at nice restaurants and take in a show, and all walking to each location. Whats the cultural scene like in VB?
Well, one thing you will certainly appreciate about VB's water is the ocean beaches. The DMV has river beaches with no real waves and a ridiculous amount of rocks/shells in the sand. So imo this will definitely feel like CA to you.

I don't live there and can't speak on the culture but as for the Oceanfront... Friday night was pretty desolate. The bar/clubs were open but, the action is nothing like in-season. Be forewarned that a Thursday could be worse than a Friday during off-season making an otherwise hot spot just a place to pass time. My recommendations are Cancun Fiesta and Deja Blu. Enjoy!

Old 10-30-2010, 07:12 PM

135 posts, read 390,695 times
Well, we knew your were coming

Old 10-30-2010, 07:49 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
I haven't met anyone yet who hasn't had a great time when visiting. When I came out for a visit before I moved out here, it was wonderful. I had so many welcomes and met so many friendly people. Tourists are always welcome! Glad you had a great time and those of you coming, its a great place to visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area