Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 PM

69 posts, read 149,187 times

Advertisements

I'm a VB local, but am considering moving elsewhere and it always seems so peaceful when I drive through Williamsburg. However, aside from school field trips as a kid and Busch Gardens, I am not all that familiar with it.

I'm looking for a family friendly community with low crime, bike paths, a good sense of community, playgrounds, parks, houses that aren't smack up against your neighbor, activities for kids (like Little Gym etc.).

Do you get jet noise there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 AM

61 posts, read 175,014 times
I've lived in both places, and both places have their pros and cons.
Williamsburg is very peaceful - nice neighborhoods. I'm not sure the neighborhoods here are much different than the ones in VB in terms of space of your lot.
It is definitely family friendly, there is not much crime here. There are a few good parks here for kids. We have a Y and a rec center. There is no Little Gym in Williamsburg, but we do have the WISC and they have a great gymnastics program for little kids. We also have a 2 bounce houses. A few great music programs for kids (Music Together and Kindermusik). Of course, Busch Gardens and Water Country are close - we do that a lot in the evening, as well as go to the huge Yankee Candle store here. There is also Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown. We do have to travel down to Newport News for things like the Living Museum and petting zoo.
There is really no jet noise to speak of here. That is one thing I don't miss with small kids and a dog

Old 08-13-2010, 04:59 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,520 times
I grew up in VA Beach and now live in Williamsburg. Where to start, remember the Andy Griffith show, well Williamsburg is a little like Mayberry. Our population density is 446 people per square mile. VA Beach has 1746 people per square mile. Almost 4 x the density. Traffic around town is mild in comparison to VB and southside. I can't remember the last time I heard a jet, trains maybe..
As myjulylily noted we have lots of activities for kids..No shopping malls but we do have the outlets.
Sports programs are huge considering our community size. Check out our parks here Parks & Recreation Home Page . Sure we miss the ocean and as a result we visit VA Beach and OBX often. But we are only 2+ hours to the mountains, Washington DC and many other points of interest.

I can't think of a better place to raise our kids.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:15 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Williamsburg hands down beats Virginia Beach.

VA Beach is trashy, filled with vinyl McMansions, awful roads, ugly scenery. Just a gross place.

Williamsburg is historic, peaceful, green, and offers a better quality of life, IMO.

I don't know your budget, but if you were to live in the historic area I think you would like it a lot.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 PM

100 posts, read 234,437 times
This is not even a debate. Williamsburg, all the way!

Old 08-21-2010, 08:05 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times
Don't come to Wburg for the schools though. I can't believe the number of teachers who hate working for the school district and the number of upset parents. Now that I have been here for a year, I have several ex-WJCC teachers who are so glad they left and many more who want out.
The community itself is a pretty community and I like it. In fact, so many people say they really like the community itself but want to leave for other reasons- cost of living, jobs, schools, nothing for kids to do (don't understand that one), etc.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 AM

100 posts, read 234,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Don't come to Wburg for the schools though. I can't believe the number of teachers who hate working for the school district and the number of upset parents. Now that I have been here for a year, I have several ex-WJCC teachers who are so glad they left and many more who want out.
The community itself is a pretty community and I like it. In fact, so many people say they really like the community itself but want to leave for other reasons- cost of living, jobs, schools, nothing for kids to do (don't understand that one), etc.
This sounds like a perception issue. I.e., people who just don't want to be in the area period, or are having financial difficulties and redirecting their stress.

If you don't like Williamsburg, you probably wont like anywhere in HR.

About teachers, I think this has more to do with the quotas/stress caused by budget cuts due to recession. It'll get worse. Next year all districts that I know of are projecting double-digit cuts because stimulus money is running out.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 AM

275 posts, read 870,368 times
When I was in school at HU, my part-time job occasionally took me to Williamsburg/JCC. Very nice area. I think the only reason I'd choose VB is because my current job is in Norfolk, and I grumble enough about my 20 min. commute from Greenbrier! :-)

Old 08-22-2010, 08:29 PM

9 posts, read 29,161 times
I've lived in VB and Newport News for 2 years and have been commuting to my job in Williamsburg.. I can tell you hands down Williamsburg is infinitely better. I would buy a house in Williamsburg myself if it weren't so expensive; but it is beautiful and peaceful. If you want more land I would suggest the Toano, New Kent area though; I find that a lot of Williamsburg is new development areas with rather small lot sizes, although I suppose that is subjective

Old 09-01-2010, 03:33 PM

20 posts, read 50,922 times
good thread, read alot of what i was looking for too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area