Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 PM

28 posts, read 78,082 times

Advertisements

There has been lots of discussion on which cities are subtropical and what that even means for that matter. I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT NEW YORK CITY IS SUB TROPICAL!!! You guys must be crazy, it gets cold there. But lets start with a brief definition for sub-tropical in my opinion. Daily highs are above 50 an every single month, and lows avergae 32 or higher on every day of the year. Summers must get pretty warm, but not hot as defined by Koppen which i believe is around 84(high) for the hottest month or 72 (average), i am not sure. But my defintion for pretty warm summer is 2 months exeeding 80 for highs and average 68(overall) for those 2 months. 9 months of the year must be over 50 on average.
Thats it.
But even if all these requirments are not(IDK), ask yourself; Are the Hamptons sub-tropical or temperate?
Are they in the transition from temperate to sub-tropical?
Is it in the middle between New York and New Orleans in terms of how much people are out throughout the year and how animals and vegetation flourish throughout the year also? <--Climate too.
Let the discussions begin!

Last edited by 187ladiesman; 08-24-2010 at 08:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Well, the Hamptons and Hampton Roads are two totally different worlds!!

Hampton Roads is not in the slightest sub-tropical, from what I learned over the years. Miami is sub-tropical according to the definitions I learned (rarely does it dip to freezing temperatures) and Hampton Roads usually dips into the freezing point every night during the winter.

Tropical would be Key West and in places in HI. They have never experienced freezing temperatures or a frost... ever.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:49 PM

oh ****, i didnt know. Thanks

Old 08-24-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post

Hampton Roads is not in the slightest sub-tropical, from what I learned over the years. Miami is sub-tropical according to the definitions I learned (rarely does it dip to freezing temperatures) and Hampton Roads usually dips into the freezing point every night during the winter.

Tropical would be Key West and in places in HI. They have never experienced freezing temperatures or a frost... ever.
Thanks

Old 08-25-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post

Well, i do think that the hampton roads are somewhat subtropical, or the beggining of a subtropical climate on the east coast. Yes! i do agree that miami is not true tropical but instead very close, but not full tropical. Just like the tidewater(SE Virginia) are the last temperate place before transitining to subtropical, that it is how the florida keys as they become true tropical, but not the everglades-miami area as many climatolgists say.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,824 times
It was my understanding that Virginia Beach (and Hampton Roads) is considered humid subtropical. The closer you are to the coast, the more temperatures are moderated by the influence of the ocean so Virginia Beach will tend to have slightly cooler summers and slightly warmer winters than inland areas like Williamsburg. On average, temperatures in July and August are in the upper 80's and it is not uncommon to see the mid-90's with dewpoints in the 70's. The coldest months, January and February, see daily high's in the upper 40's/low 50's on average with nightime lows somewhere near freezing. I would not say that it dips below freezing every night here during the winter, I would say it is more of a toss up.

The overall climate from year to year can vary greatly depending on larger scale influences like ENSO (El Nino Southern Oscillation) and the NAO which alter the mean position of the jet stream. Last year, for instance, a strong el nino coupled with strongly negative NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation) led to one of the coldest and snowiest winters that this area has seen in a long time.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:34 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
HR is in fact classified as humid sub-tropical (Cfa) according to the Köppen classification

Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
HR is in fact classified as humid sub-tropical (Cfa) according to the Köppen classification
I know that but than agian so is new york, they need to call that climate type something else. I mean subtropical, like when you think of tropical cities but not temperate cities like new york because new york is very temperate. Sub tropic, between temperate and true tropical.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:19 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 187ladiesman View Post
I know that but than agian so is new york, they need to call that climate type something else. I mean subtropical, like when you think of tropical cities but not temperate cities like new york because new york is very temperate. Sub tropic, between temperate and true tropical.
The line runs across Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, and then icludes virginia, delaware, and maryland east of the appalacians. I would tend to agree that florida, georgia, alabama, mississippi, louisiana, and coastal texas are definitely more humid than we are and also warmer in the winter, so I can see your point there. But I have never heard that NY is considered humid subtropical. It is considered humid continental as far as I know.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,356 times
Anything with the word "tropical" and "Virginia" should never be in reference to each other. There is absolutely nothing tropical or sub tropical about Virginia in the least. I have a friend from Jamaica and I brought this up and he laughed me out of the room. His words; "Man, you don't know what tropical is. There ain't nothing tropical about Virginia!"

More appropriately, Virginia has a temperate climate with four distinct seasons with trees that change colors in the fall and lose their leaves in the winter. I don't care what wikipedia or the koppen whatever says.

It would seem to me that only southern GA and maybe coastal SC could be considered a true sub tropical area. And of course all below it, FL.

Don't let the palm trees the city of Va Beach planted fool you either. Not naturally occurring. I've never seen a palm at the OBX either come to think of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area