Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:34 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times

Advertisements

The Dump is owned by Haynes and is closeout, second runs, wrong colored, etc. furniture, mattresses, rugs, etc.

Prices are very good there but just watch the quality on some items. Overall though I wouldn't have too much of a problem buying something from The Dump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:45 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
The Dump is owned by Haynes and is closeout, second runs, wrong colored, etc. furniture, mattresses, rugs, etc.

Prices are very good there but just watch the quality on some items. Overall though I wouldn't have too much of a problem buying something from The Dump.
Take into account, that their furniture has some damage to it. This is why we call it "Haynes Dump."

Old 09-17-2010, 07:04 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,112 times
The Dump is hit or miss. You have to really spend some time looking through everything to find hidden treasures. Sometimes they don't have anything you like, sometimes they do. I bought a bedroom suite and a curio there and they didn't have any damage.
I bought a lot of furniture at Haverty's a few months ago and had a lot of problems with them (service wise), but the furniture is high quality and beautiful and my husband negotiated a great price.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
The Dump is hit or miss. You have to really spend some time looking through everything to find hidden treasures. Sometimes they don't have anything you like, sometimes they do. I bought a bedroom suite and a curio there and they didn't have any damage.
I bought a lot of furniture at Haverty's a few months ago and had a lot of problems with them (service wise), but the furniture is high quality and beautiful and my husband negotiated a great price.
Was it their delivery service? I had the same issue.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:32 AM

60 posts, read 123,566 times
Yeah I have come across a wide difference in delivery. CORT Furniture would deliver around 40 or 50 (I don't remember exact...sorry) for whatever you wanted, and Furniture Mart in the Mall charged around 95 for delivery. I am still looking! I went to Value City but I didn't get a chance to really feel out the stuff there (I need more time). A Lot of couches are kinda stiff. I know that a lot of furniture settles after time (that cozy worn in feeling after a while).

Old 09-21-2010, 07:19 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Was it their delivery service? I had the same issue.
Their delivery guys were on time and super nice (this was from the Richmond store), but one piece of our sectional had a broken foot, so they fed ex'd the feet, but only sent 4 and this "cuddler" has 5 corners, so I called customer service and they said that it only was supposed to have 4 feet, but couldn't tell me which corner didn't have a foot. So... I told them that I wanted a whole new one and we had to wait like another month for it. Surprise!!! It DID have 5 feet, after all... One of the pieces of the sectional had the bracket in the wrong spot, but the delivery people fixed that.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:32 PM

18 posts, read 52,560 times
Aside from the places mentioned above, anyone know of a place where I can find a good wooden bed (as in headboard/footboard/thing tying it together)? I don't mind used/antiques. It's been impossible to find a good-looking affordable bed.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:07 PM

60 posts, read 123,566 times
So far (and to help out others who may wonder)

Bed: Original Mattress
Couch: The Dump (A REALLY good deal on a leather couch that we found)
Coffee Table: Yard Sales
End Tables: Free Cycle/Yard Sales
Chair: (from home sorry)
Shelves: Goodwill
Kitchen Table Set and 4 Chairs: Cort Furniture.

All and All pretty good deals abound. This was after weeks of going to various places and comparing prices and such.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
Their delivery guys were on time and super nice (this was from the Richmond store), but one piece of our sectional had a broken foot, so they fed ex'd the feet, but only sent 4 and this "cuddler" has 5 corners, so I called customer service and they said that it only was supposed to have 4 feet, but couldn't tell me which corner didn't have a foot. So... I told them that I wanted a whole new one and we had to wait like another month for it. Surprise!!! It DID have 5 feet, after all... One of the pieces of the sectional had the bracket in the wrong spot, but the delivery people fixed that.
I bought the mission dining room set. One of the chairs they said that arrived to their store had been damaged, so they ordered a new one. My only disappointment was that it took over 14 days to get the new chair and we had a dinner party planned on day 13. The delivery men we had were very nice and bless their hearts for putting that big hutch together.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 AM

27 posts, read 88,806 times
We bought all new furniture at Haynes and The Dump. We have been looking around a lot of other places (Grand, Value City, and some other stores whose names I cannot remember) but I had a particular idea in mind what I wanted and had a hard time to find it anywhere else. Price wise I think we had good luck, our sales person at Haynes was very good. We bought a futon after we had bought the first set of living room furniture,about a week later, and she got the futon into the same delivery and the furniture warranty without us having to pay extra, that saved us 70 dollars for an extra delivery. And the futon was about 100 dollars cheaper than at Walmart.
The Dump we had small issues with because they canceled our first delivery without reason, but other than that it was okay. If you try to call somebody in their logistic warehouse expect no call backs though - i had called 3 days in a row and could never meet anybody and left a lot of messages which were not returned. I finally got a hold of somebody when I used the "same day delivery" option on their phone choice menue. Not the right choice, but you got to get tricky if customer service avoids you . Furniture quality is fine so far. The futon had one leg go into the wrong direction, but that most likely happened in China when assembling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area