U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,030 times

Advertisements

I am looking to open a Pizza Franchise in the Virginia Beach Area. Anybody hear of Jets Pizza. Its huge in Michigan, They killed there competition here. Papa johns and Dominos are pretty much gone from the area (Its Funny cause Dominos started in Michigan)! Jets are known for there Michigan style square deep dish pizza and everything is homemade, cheese is shredded every morning. Please advice and info?[
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 01:55 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,581,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shkort View Post
I am looking to open a Pizza Franchise in the Virginia Beach Area. Anybody hear of Jets Pizza. Its huge in Michigan, They killed there competition here. Papa johns and Dominos are pretty much gone from the area (Its Funny cause Dominos started in Michigan)! Jets are known for there Michigan style square deep dish pizza and everything is homemade, cheese is shredded every morning. Please advice and info?[
Thanks
There are tons of pizza rests in Hampton Roads area. I've never heard of Jets Pizza and I'm sure most people are unaware of that name here. That's not saying it can't make it however because of the economy and other rests in this area the odds are against you.

Is this mostly a delivery pizza place or rest and delivery? I think your key is to find the right area.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,030 times
Delivery. Whats the most popular pizza places?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:37 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,357,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shkort View Post
Delivery. Whats the most popular pizza places?
Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Channellos, Dominos, I think that's about it.

Being unfamiliar with the Jets chain, people here would probably look at it like an independent place... translation: don't do it.

People here look for chains and the same old, same old. They don't like change and want things they're familiar with. Everyone wants their cookie cutter vinyl box house, in their clear cut neighborhood with a Wal-Mart on the corner and Applebees in the parking lot of the strip mall.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:32 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,581,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post

Being unfamiliar with the Jets chain, people here would probably look at it like an independent place... translation: don't do it.

People here look for chains and the same old, same old. They don't like change and want things they're familiar with. Everyone wants their cookie cutter vinyl box house, in their clear cut neighborhood with a Wal-Mart on the corner and Applebees in the parking lot of the strip mall.
Unfortunately I agree.

You might have a chance starting one down at the beach during the summer. Maybe make a name for youself and once summer is over open one up else where.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 PM

5,951 posts, read 8,941,095 times
We don't go for the chains. We like Bella, Lag o mar and Geno's. All of the big chains suck. Maybe Jet's is better?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 PM

I HATE chains... all pre packaged, over salted junk for the most part.

But, that's what the crowd around here demands. I don't want to be a Negative Nancy and a dream crusher because I'm always a small business fan, I'm just trying to be a realist in this sense so the OP doesn't sink money into something that probably won't work in this area.

I also hate how the state is so liberal in doling out liquor licenses.

If you go up to NY and NJ you can find tons of independent restaurants where you BYOB. Nothing's better than having a good meal, bringing a couple nice bottles with you and not being gouged by the bill and bloated from the food when you're done.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 PM

57 posts, read 207,121 times
I don't think chains are a bad thing in and of themselves. For instance, Ruth's Chris and Five Guys are great.

I don't think time will be kind to the chains like Applebee's and IHOP, unless they change with the times and start offering more of a quality product.

If the Jets chain offers pizza where everything is homemade (I'm assuming the meats aren't, though) and it tastes great, you'll get business. Planet Pizza didn't just open a second location by offering a crappy product.

I think Papa John's actually slices up all their vegetables in house each day which really helps the taste of their product, but if Jets actually shreds their cheese each day, it means they don't have to add silicates which negatively affects the flavor of the cheese. They miight be a chain, but they could end up being the best tasting chain in the area. What have you got to lose?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 AM

30,168 posts, read 36,671,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post

Generalize much? Give me a break.

Personally I would LOVE to have a true "New York style" Pizza shop. But those shops are generally pricier than the chains, and anywhere that is family oriented, will tend to prefer the lower prices. I think LagoMar Pizza is one of the faves around here, and you'd have to really invest in a huge marketing blitz to get the attention away from those that already have the market share. (Domino's and Chanellos SUCK by the way - I don't know how they stay in business.)

Old 09-30-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
(Domino's and Chanellos SUCK by the way - I don't know how they stay in business.)
Familiarity.

See previous:

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area