Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:24 PM

8 posts, read 142,250 times

Advertisements

hello all, I have recently received a job offer in Chesapeake VA and I'm trying to see if the cost of utilitys differ from Arizona for budget reasons. We would be in a 1700 to 2000 SQ house in the great bridge or grassfield area. here in AZ water trash and sewer is one bill and is around $75 a month. my natural gas bill is an average of $25 in summer and $50 in winter and I'm on a program with my power company where I pay $200 a month year round so I don't have to worry about the up and down billing from summer to winter. Any info would be great. This is important to me because we live on a tight budget and any big changes would hurt us and might not be worth the move. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:47 AM

23 posts, read 113,995 times
Hi Fakeshemp.
I live in Norfolk, which is near Chesapeake. My house is bigger, about 3,000sf with a family of 4 - here are my utilities:
100 for water/sewer/trash - I don't have a big yard, so I really don't water the lawn
135 for "budget" electric - which means they averaged it out for the year...before that my highest electric bill in the summer was about 275.
Natural gas - about 25 in the summer and as high as 350 in the winter (my house is also 90 years old, so probably in a smaller, newer house it would be a lot less)
I think groceries are somewhat more expensive here (my mom lives near Phoenix and commented on that when she visited).

Some things to consider - because of the military presence the economy has been a little more stable here. On the downside, other salaries are a little on the low side and housing hasn't been as depressed - including rents compared to AZ. I actually think housing is quite high in the Hampton Roads area when considering the average incomes. It is a nice place to live - especially if you like the beach and history. Also, the summers are hot - not as hot as AZ, but humid.

Good luck!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:56 AM

23 posts, read 113,995 times
A couple other expenses to consider:
Take a look at the state income tax compared to AZ...I believe it's 5.7% in VA - but double check. There is also a "personal property tax" that is a tax on your vehicle and it can be quite steep depending on the blue book value of your car (or RV and boat if you have them). Our two cars were both valued around 15,000 each and last year's bill was $700.00 - YIKES! You can find the rate that Chesapeake uses on their city website to estimate what you would owe.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:34 PM

Hey Ghostcrabs, Thanks for the info. The Gas in the winter looks like it could be a killer but I guess its just something you need to plan for. kinda like the summer bill for electric out here. if I wasnt on a budget program with them it would run 380.00 in the summer. but instead I pay 200 a month year round. Do you know if they have that kind of budget program for the gas company like they do with electric? What is with this "personal property tax" is that on top of the yearly car registration tags? Arizona income tax is 4.24 and Virginia is 5.75 so a little over one percent more. So it defiantly seems more expensive but I'm sure there is give and take to both states. I've heard a lot of goods things and some bad. but the bad all seems to be the same. Jet noise and traffic...LOL

Sorry for all the questions, its a big move for us but it could be a great one. where coming out next week to check it out so hopefully seeing it in person will help ease my mind some.

Thanks again for all the info.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:29 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,030,955 times
An an annual Basis 2,000 sq ft home in Chesapeake
Central Air/Gas Heat & hot water:

1. Gas $990
  2. Electric $2,090 (most of it is A/C)
  3. Sewer $370
  4. Water $350
  5. Lawn water (I use a well)
  6. Garbage $36
  7. Real Estate Taxes $3,600
  8. Personal Property Tax on cars $4 for every $100 assessed (annually).
  9. Jet Noise here is not a big issue, only at Fentress during touch & gos.
  10. Traffic is bad. & when it rains people constantly wreck themselves.

I'm originally from NYC/NJ so to me this suburbia. I on the other hand will be making the reverse relocation to the southwest in a few years once my lid graduates H.S.

You know what they say...the grass is always greener on the other side.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the reply NJR, that helps a lot. With you and ghostcrabs responses I have a good idea of what to expect. If I understand the personal property tax correctly I would be paying $600 dollars a year for my $15,000 car...If that's correct then that is a little crazy . so much for getting that $30,000 truck and $20,000 boat. LOL...And your right about the grass being greener except we dont have any here in AZ

Old 10-13-2010, 08:18 PM

179 posts, read 489,400 times
I don't know what it is like in AZ but personal property tax here in VA is approx what you pay for registration in some other states like CA. Here registration is $25 per car, then you pay a yearly personal property tax on top of that.

Oh and I live in Grassfield area of Chesapeake and really like it!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks Again Marnay for the info, Here in AZ are registration runs 150.00 a year for a 2007 Nissan altima so when I saw the $4.00 for every $100 it seems a little steep but with the registration being so low then I can see how it compares. looking at everything in Chesapeake I seem to like the Grassfield and hickory area the most, at least on the web.I'm looking forward to seeing everything in person. Our Realtor that will be showing us rentals seems to want to push us into virginia beach/cox high school and prince Anne high school area but I'm to sure about that. I really like the Chesapeake area more when looking at it on the web. So I guess will see when we get there.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:05 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,030,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeshemp73 View Post
Thanks Again Marnay for the info, Here in AZ are registration runs 150.00 a year for a 2007 Nissan altima so when I saw the $4.00 for every $100 it seems a little steep but with the registration being so low then I can see how it compares. looking at everything in Chesapeake I seem to like the Grassfield and hickory area the most, at least on the web.I'm looking forward to seeing everything in person. Our Realtor that will be showing us rentals seems to want to push us into virginia beach/cox high school and prince Anne high school area but I'm to sure about that. I really like the Chesapeake area more when looking at it on the web. So I guess will see when we get there.
BTW, If your car is for personal use, there is a state relief of of 66% so you would only be charged 34% of personal property tax, that of which is deductable on your federal income tax.

Grassfield & Hickory are by far the most preferred, especially for the schools.
Walmart is in Grassfield, Target is in Hickory. When I researched I found Hickory gave me what I was looking for, I did look in Kempsville VB for the schools & Virginia Beach has nice areas but for me it's just too congested. Traffic in VB is a PITA.

Good luck with your search. Find yourself a good agent who will work for you. Unfortunately, the person I used left the real estate business due to the economy. He was incredible. BTW don't forget to ask your agent to show you the sex offenders location list for any homes you are considering.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:58 AM

Good info on the personal property tax, that is a big difference in cost. I will defiantly have the agent get me the sex offender list, I forgot all about checking into that. Thanks NJR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area