Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,444,984 times

Advertisements

My wife & I will be visiting the Hampton Roads area & staying in Virginia Beach. She's a vegetarian, and that generally doesn't pose any big problems for us when traveling, except when we stay near the ocean. The two types of restaurants that are generally not vegetarian-friendly are steakhouses and seafood restaurants. And Va. Beach has a lot of seafood restaurants.

Usually our best options are Italian or Chinese - they both usually have multiple vegetarian options, but also have meat & fish options for me. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for either Italian or Chinese restaurants with multiple vegetarian options? And casual (i.e., jeans) and reasonably priced? Also, while it would be more convenient to eat close to where we're staying, I'm more than willing to go to Norfolk, etc. for a good meal.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 09:28 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,318,831 times
Most Mexican places also have vegetarian options as well... no recommendations from me though. I can't say I've ever had an outstanding meal in the HR area.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:30 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,448,259 times
Mongolian has the best vegetarian options IMHO and the veggies are fresh.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:00 PM

486 posts, read 1,948,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Most Mexican places also have vegetarian options as well... no recommendations from me though. I can't say I've ever had an outstanding meal in the HR area.
You've never had an outstanding meal or just an outstanding mexican meal?? The best Mexican I've had is at Jessy's in Ocean View.
There are tons of outstanding restaurants in the area in general... I have never had a meal at One Fish-Two Fish that wasn't outstanding. You should try it if you haven't... my guests from out of town always want to go back there every trip.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:22 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,591,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
You've never had an outstanding meal or just an outstanding mexican meal?? The best Mexican I've had is at Jessy's in Ocean View.
There are tons of outstanding restaurants in the area in general... I have never had a meal at One Fish-Two Fish that wasn't outstanding. You should try it if you haven't... my guests from out of town always want to go back there every trip.
I can say the same about Waterman's. Not sure if they have a vegetarian option though.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 AM

6 posts, read 16,697 times
Best restaurant with lots of vegetarian options....Pasha Mezze in Ghent. It's Mediterranean and it is fabulous!

Local, Organic, Vegetarian & Gluten Free Friendly Mediterranean Restaurant in Norfolk, VA - Pasha Mezze

Old 10-18-2010, 02:47 PM

23 posts, read 113,981 times
Empire in Norfolk has some vegetarian dishes (Tapas) - Empire is by far my favorite restaurant in Hampton Roads. 21 Siam (Thai) in Norfolk is pretty good, they have vegetarian dishes...I definately second Pasha Mezze as an excellent choice. Yum!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 PM

117 posts, read 255,351 times
Bankok Garden in Va Beach, great dishes for meat eater and vegetarian

Tell your wife to try the Pad Thai w Tofu and extra veggies (broccoli!)
Also the red curry dishes are great too! Good food, great decor/atmosphere!!!
The menu on the website is not all-inclusive, there are many options for the vegetarian.
http://www.bangkokgardenva.com
4 different locations, but i frequent the one on Va Beach Blvd or Ghent in Norfolk.

Im up that way next week and writing this reminds me how much I miss that place.

Ok, so now Im hungry! lol Enjoy your trip!!!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 PM

117 posts, read 255,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOfParadise View Post
Bankok Garden in Va Beach, great dishes for meat eater and vegetarian

Tell your wife to try the Pad Thai w Tofu and extra veggies (broccoli!)
Also the red curry dishes are great too! Good food, great decor/atmosphere!!!
The menu on the website is not all-inclusive, there are many options for the vegetarian.
http://www.bangkokgardenva.com
4 different locations, but i frequent the one on Va Beach Blvd or Ghent in Norfolk.

Im up that way next week and writing this reminds me how much I miss that place.

Ok, so now Im hungry! lol Enjoy your trip!!!

OH AND THE PORTION SIZES ARE GREAT!!!

Old 10-20-2010, 05:13 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,444,984 times
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. I am reassured that my wife won't starve on our visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area