U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:13 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,065,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
hahaha......see, there is life after Wynternight! Could be a "Cher" song!!

I'm coming back to visit in the Spring, make sure the city arranges a parade and event.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 07:42 AM

8,321 posts, read 14,137,770 times
I was going to go... until it reached 7k people. A few of my friends went, but not enough to make me want to brave the masses. I stayed home and worked on my husband's costume for Nekocon.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:43 AM

148 posts, read 340,895 times
Honestly, only about 2500 people showed up and there was still plenty of parking.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:29 AM

8,321 posts, read 14,137,770 times
Still, 2500 people is a lot of people. Plus, I'm ridiculously clumsy. And now in the aftermath, turns out an acquaintance of mine was put in the hospital because his kneecap got split in half. D:

Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 AM

31,243 posts, read 37,533,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
They had a game of zombie tag yesterday. It started out as a low key facebook game, but once the city got word of course it became news worthy. I saw some clips on the news this am, and it looked like a lot of fun. They said only about 2500 of the expected 7-10K showed up. You have your own zombie apocalypse to survive soon during your 30 days of night LOL
No, they LIMITED it to the first 1500 people. Basically this chick decided to try setting one up, to see if there was interest. Naturally it went viral. But 7500 people (mostly college age), running around Ghent, is a recipe for disaster. I told my son no way could he go - and then I found out that it was restricted to 18 and up, thank goodness. As soon it became clear that this was bigger than the girl had bargained for, she had to get the city involved, and then proceed with permits and the rest.

My BF and I drove through the area around 10, and I was happy to see that it appeared to have gone well. Definitely a good sign that there may be an annual event. Would rather see it somewhere other than Ghent though - too many ne'er-do-wells hanging around down there.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 AM

31,243 posts, read 37,533,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsilon View Post
Honestly, only about 2500 people showed up and there was still plenty of parking.
There was NO parking around 10. Anywhere.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:53 AM

148 posts, read 340,895 times
Strange, I simply had parked in one of the shopping center lots right across from The Boot and noticed that quite a few spaces were still vacant there and in other spots throughout the night. I guess saying "plenty" was a bit of a stretch but there still were vacant spots about.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:11 PM

5,963 posts, read 9,086,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No, they LIMITED it to the first 1500 people. Basically this chick decided to try setting one up, to see if there was interest. Naturally it went viral. But 7500 people (mostly college age), running around Ghent, is a recipe for disaster. I told my son no way could he go - and then I found out that it was restricted to 18 and up, thank goodness. As soon it became clear that this was bigger than the girl had bargained for, she had to get the city involved, and then proceed with permits and the rest.

My BF and I drove through the area around 10, and I was happy to see that it appeared to have gone well. Definitely a good sign that there may be an annual event. Would rather see it somewhere other than Ghent though - too many ne'er-do-wells hanging around down there.

I know they limited it to the first 1500 people. Actually I was aware of it before the media and city even knew what was going on. I was invited by a friend.I was telling people about it before the media caught hold. That being said the official count was that 2500 people showed up. There were a lot of people down there not officially in the game just enjoying the evening. Plus several people used plastic from construction sites to make their own armbands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area