U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:36 AM

492 posts, read 922,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
I am one of those that believes if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut. This is me saying nothing. I hope you like it here, not many do. Please be one of the few who do, they need more people who love this area...so many others like myself can't stand it here.
Yeah many on this forum do not like it here, ant they tend to be a little over the top and bitter at times. Not a good representation of the average hampton roads citizen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 12:06 PM

894 posts, read 2,063,169 times
I don't know why everyone expects a metro area of 1.7 million to not have any run down areas. Of course there is going to be. And to make it worse, you have 7 individual cities with their own individual problems instead of one central city surrounded by a county or counties. So it might give an illusion of more prevalent slums. HR does indeed have some nice areas though. Like any city, it does have its problem areas. No where can be a complete oasis of tranquility across the board.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:27 PM

12 posts, read 31,725 times
Thanks everyone, I was starting feel like the HR is just full of jaded angry people!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:51 PM

100 posts, read 216,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701RachelT123 View Post
Thanks everyone, I was starting feel like the HR is just full of jaded angry people!
HR is a highly transient area (it should be, there are 8 separate military bases I can think of right off the top of my head...I'm sure there are more though) and as such, you'll find gobs and gobs (and gobs...and gobs...) of people relocating from other areas and everything they see is through the lens of "the good life" elsewhere.

Sometimes their criticisms are valid, sometimes they aren't.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:43 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,601,839 times
True, I come from Colorado Springs, a city with 5 military installations within the city and two more just outside the city. However, it seems to be a lot more well liked and many love being there. It is still a very transient community with troops rotating through. I remember complaing about the news in COS, seemed to be the same news repeated for weeks. Here, it seems like the news has a number of shootings and things to choose from. And we don't understand the fires here. We had a big fire once a year in COS, here it happens all the time. My husband, a fire fighter gets so annoyed at the fire fighting here- they don't try and save buildings, they save foundations. And the forensic piece of it is missing.
The cost of living is higher too. I transferred here as a teacher and made the same money and my DH actually lost money coming here, yet the housing is more. For example, our 5 bedroom modern home sold last year for $153K. Can't seem to find that here.
And I am surprised at the winter, we got more snow here this winter than we did in Colorado Springs. In Colorado Springs, we would get dustings to a couple inches and it would melt by noon. The going joke was if a 7-11 icee fell in the middle of the street the city would shut down- such a conservative town with so many churches.
And it feels like the military isn't as appreciated here. I can't count the number of times I personally bought lunch, paid for a soldier's gas, discretely paid for a soldier's groceries in COS just to say thank-you for all that they do. This was common practice among my friends, church members, and you would just see it happen at any store/resturant.
Our cons- very conservative, lots of churches, lots of judgemental people, cookie cutter neighborhoods, no beach (which is a pro for me- don't like the beach). Pros, very conservative, lots of churches= lower crime rate, very good schools, little traffic, mountains.
Also, I have found a lot of people do a lot of driving here. It seems like people will drive up and down the coast without even thinking twice. We also learned about toll roads here. We had a toll up in Denver- 75 cents.
And so many people say that the civil war is still being fought here. Wasn't sure what they meant until I got here and now I understand. I have had many students come in and tell me they were harrassed the night before or that weekend by KKK and many co-workers approached me with N comments. I was dumbfounded the first time it happened and all I could utter was, "excuse me? what made you think I would think that way?" and then have to listen to someone try and explain how different THEY were and how we should put THEM in their place. I just walked away and avoided them the rest of the school year.
I can't believe the number of teachers who have come into the staff lounge in tears because they are fighting a losing battle against the district for what's right for students and families. I counted 8 buses just today with kids standing up in the moving bus and 5 of them had students with arm and heads hanging out the windows. I have also never been part of a school system that ever went to due process and here I actually went to court. I had the lawyer wait until I was no longer an employee so I could tesify with the family against the school because FAPE hadn't been followed.
This is why as an outsider I don't care for the area. The people I know who do like it here haven't lived elsewhere to know that it doesn't have to be this way. It is a different type of culture here, simply put. We have learned after living in the midwest and west that we prefer that more than this. We are blessed to have experience this because we now understand why the nation is in such an uproar about education. We now understand traffic, public transportation, a different take on taxes, politics like never before, racism, and what OBX stands for. I have a friend whose license plate says OBXKIDS. I asked her about her obnoxious kids and she explained.
I am entitled to my two cents and I look at this way- we can't all love the east/west coast. We all need to fall in love with somewhere otherwise heaven help the crowding.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 PM

And then there are very...interesting...opinions such as "froggin4Colorado". Most of that post should be taken with several dozen truckfuls of salt.

I would discuss some of the more outrageous claims, but really, it would just boil down to "he said, she said" silliness. Visit the area, drive around. There's much to love.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,394,536 times
I wouldn't be such a Debbie Downer on the area if everyone simply pulled their heads from their rears and realized their potential.

We're an hours flight from NYC, a 3-4 hour drive from DC and have the northernmost ice free natural harbor on the coast.

Yet, even with those geographic advantages working in our favor nobody can seem to make things work here.

Our mass transit system is dismal as are the roads, the cities all bicker about this or that and never work together, our population thinks just building further and further out of the city is the way to go and our screwy leaders think ideas like privatizing roads are grand ideas.

Like the report that came out a few months ago stated, Hampton Roads is simply put, "old, slow and not too bright." We have such little major business here because of that.

The area has the potential, but a population against progress. It really does upset me to see such potential go to waste by people simply not intelligent enough to see past today.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 PM

Things can always be better, that is true coconut. I agree that there is definite room for improvement in HR. To be fair though, in any given metro area there are always people who believe things could be administered better.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,601,839 times
Emrak,
Everything I wrote is factual. I am currently up in Wburg and have had many black students tell me what they went through the night before/that weekend. I can not post names due to them being minors however I can put you into touch with parents and other people who have dealt with them- to include an art teacher.
I have consoled several crying teachers but have met some happy teachers in VA Beach. I can also refer you to the court case that I just finished, the familie's attorney is Rich Riszk (sp) and I know this family would be more than happy to share their story- they feel the more the better.
I did sell my house for that price. It is El Paso County records in CO if you would like to double check. I can provide you an old address but the zip code is 80817. The Pikes Peak region MLS website is Colorado Springs Real Estate - Official MLS Listings - PPAR.com if you would like to look at other homes in the area for sale and for rent.
Check the COS forum and see the difference in attitude. You can also read account of military friendliness/appreciation on that forum. You will also see some other VA who have moved to COS- Mike from Back East along with others who will tell you similar stories.
Check CO for toll roads online.

There is a culture difference here, a different mentality. Some like it, some don't. I can support what I wrote. No need for salt when you can support it with evidence which gives it credibility.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 AM

30,752 posts, read 37,071,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
To be fair, who would think an area, directly on the Chesapeake Bay would be run down?

Those are exactly the things that make no sense about the HR area. A home in Asheville Park in VA Beach is listed at $1.5M. Your neighbor is right behind you, the entire neighborhood was clear cut and the only thing separating you both is a little wrought iron fence.

Yet I can go over to Ocean View and get a home, pay $500K for it, put in $100K worth of upgrades to bring it up to par with the new home, and have my own private beach on deep water for practically a million dollars less.

People here don't think. They believe buying a piece of old farm land and throwing crap up on it is good design. It's all about how much bang for the buck they'll get back on their project, not about the quality of life of future residents.

East Beach is at least doing better in terms of location... it doesn't make any sense to let such valuable property go to waste simply because it's run down. Redevelopment is key. I suppose throwing up vinyl McMansions is easier, though.
Anyone that spent even just FIVE minutes researching the history of the area. That's who. Why would you assume that being on the water would mean the area was...well anything? There are plenty of run-down areas...all over the U.S., that are located on the water. Due diligence before traveling will tell you what you need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area