Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
We now understand traffic, public transportation, a different take on taxes, politics like never before, racism, and what OBX stands for. I have a friend whose license plate says OBXKIDS. I asked her about her obnoxious kids and she explained.
No. OBX stands for Outer Banks. Just one more reason I enjoy it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
The area has the potential, but a population against progress. It really does upset me to see such potential go to waste by people simply not intelligent enough to see past today.
This is exactly what frustrated me about living in HR. It seems to have all the components to potentially become a thriving location.

I was in Austin last week and thought there were a few similarities in regards to the Ghent area and downtown Norfolk. Austin definitely has more personality and culture though. Awesome city and was really impressed. I know I am probably comparing apples to oranges but just saying....

Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 AM

100 posts, read 234,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Emrak,
Everything I wrote is factual.
There is only one truism on the internet and that is: online, people exaggerate in the same frequency that, in real life, people exceed the speed limit.

This post---along with others by you---exceeds the limits of credibility and is riddled with unsupported anecdotal evidence. For example, I could regale you with tales of Somali residents who lovingly talk about Gorbachev and give you names of politicians who send him gifts of flowers every year on his birthday. It does not make it so. Nor are you (or anyone else on here) going to talk to the politicians to find out if they do as I say they do.

All we have are real facts. HR is a cosmopolitan community featuring very conservative and traditional religious groups (headquarters of the Christian Broadcasting Network is in Va Beach) and far left, liberal groups (PETA is headquartered in Norfolk). There is a wide diversity of cultures and races from all parts of the world (The Philipine Cultural Center of VA is headquartered in Va Beach) and both the region of HR and the state is racially progressive (the 2nd black Governor ever was elected in VA in the early 90s). We know that most residents of HR were NOT born in the area. HR has esteemed bodies of learning (Ivy League College of William and Mary) and more...eclectic institutes (Edgar Cayce's Association for Research & Enlightenment in Va Beach...founded there because the infamous psychic had a vision that when society collapsed, the Va Beach area would be a haven). We know that HR has more colleges and universities than per capita than most metro areas, as we know that it has far more military installations than most metro areas.

That is some of the things we know, as facts. Everything else found here are just unsupported opinions.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:25 AM

100 posts, read 234,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No. OBX stands for Outer Banks. Just one more reason I enjoy it here.
Yeah....this was just one of the many silly things written I did not think it was necessary to point out. hahahaha Kind of speaks volumes about ones knowledge of the area, all by itself.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:28 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,235 times
Hold on.... are we really comparing Colorado Springs to Hampton Roads?

But what I think alot of people dont understand about HR is that the experience you get living in Williamsburg, is totally different than that of living in suffolk which is totally different than that of living in Norfolk, which is totally different than that of living in chesapeake.... and so on. Even the experience of living in Landstown or Green Run in Va Beach will be different than living over by Wesleyan Drive section or Birdneck section of Va. Beach. You can get different experiences within the same city. Hampton Roads is huge. So I hate when people try to make blanket statements about all of Hampton Roads.

Last edited by VA7cities; 10-26-2010 at 09:45 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
This is exactly what frustrated me about living in HR. It seems to have all the components to potentially become a thriving location.

I was in Austin last week and thought there were a few similarities in regards to the Ghent area and downtown Norfolk. Austin definitely has more personality and culture though. Awesome city and was really impressed. I know I am probably comparing apples to oranges but just saying....
This frustrates EVERYONE! But no changes are going to happen until we get new, fresh, forward thinking outside of the box leadership. Many people are thirsty for a change. Many are ready to live up to that potential.

But what I realized this past weekend, is that HR is really special and vibrant when it wants to be. There were so many people in town over the past weekend for various events like homecomings and other special events. Also the Zombie/Survive Norfolk event. I love to hear peoples opinions on the area so I had a chance to talk to a few people and everyone seemed to love it here. There is a lot of culture here. We have a unique culture and setup here. We just have to learn to capitalize off of our uniqueness and stop letting it hold us back.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:31 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,124,581 times
Yes I learned what OBX stood for the first week I moved here. I was pointing out something I learned as an outsider and how funny it was that I was clueless. I thought it was a comical license plate and she said she gets that a lot. Thought it was a cute story to share online.
Do you question how many people have shared KKK experiences with me this year then? If you want to DM your email I will have a few people email you with their own experience- not mine.
I never said the area wasn't culturally diverse- it is very diverse. I am just stating that I have had several students and teachers/adults tell me about the harrassment they have encountered.
I am elated that you defend your community- it shows pride in where you live. This community (every community) needs it. I am not here to change your opinion about where you live, only to give my own 2 cents about my own experience. I did qualify that I am currently up in Wburg, which is different that other HR communities. Could have sworn I had stated that and wasn't speaking for all of HR, but did comment how VA Beach schools are better than WJCC. But that would be a blanket statement for all of VA Beach schools then huh?
You can not change my opinion online nor can I change yours, nor do I care to.
I have also lived in the midwest. Again, its just different out here on the east coast, which is okay. Someone has to love living out here otherwise no one would.

Last edited by froggin4colorado; 10-26-2010 at 02:41 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 02:56 PM

12 posts, read 34,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Anyone that spent even just FIVE minutes researching the history of the area. That's who. Why would you assume that being on the water would mean the area was...well anything? There are plenty of run-down areas...all over the U.S., that are located on the water. Due diligence before traveling will tell you what you need to know.
Haha I guess coming from ND I did not know that just because it's ocean front doesn't mean its classy. I didn't think the area was scary just in need of some TLC

Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,124,581 times
Emtrak, for debate reasons, please point out which of my statements are opinions and not factual before I go through and document and verify everything I wrote.
Being a ABA Behavior Analyst, I work on data and everything must be documented and data based. I love data, take it all day long- its what I get paid to do. So, this type of debate is great- it forces facts and does not allow opinions because opinions are based off of personal experiences. So, lets discuss facts. Please point out which of my statements you believe are opinion based and not factual and I would like to continue this discussion. Thanks, looking foward to your reply. And remember the forum rules of no belittling or degrading. Again, glad you love it here, but I would like the opportunity to point my own facts out too. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:20 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Since when did W&M become Ivy League??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area