Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:28 PM

12 posts, read 34,566 times

Advertisements

I saw a whole thread devoted to the negative people so why not one for those who are not bitter. So what do u love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 06:31 AM

148 posts, read 370,842 times
I don't have much time at the moment, but a topic like this could become quite the list, here's a few of mine:

* The beach ( lots to choose from, even extending as far south as the far reaches of the outer banks).
* The people (for the most part; of course there's gong to be some crappy people mixed in but overall, I've made a lot of friends)
* The job market ( I actually get responses from online postings here as opposed to a bigger metro area where there's so much more competition and/or people in general applying that it is probably overwhelming hiring managers).
* The weather (during fall, winter and spring at least. Not a big fan of the humidity here during the summer but that's what going to the beach is for, to cool off in the water and bounce around in some waves for a bit. I'm also a huge fan of swimming so who knows. After living in Sacramento for awhile, I also missed the occasional bad a** thunder storm).
* Having a different feel for every city you go to in the area and different things to do in each one.
* The girls, because they're smokin.

-Upsilon

Old 10-27-2010, 07:51 AM

18 posts, read 56,079 times
To add to Upsilon's list

- Parks. A lot of neighborhoods in VA Beach have their own park(s), which was great growing up. There are also great City/State/National Parks: Trashmore, Seashore, Back Bay, Northwest River, and False Cape for the more adventurous type.

- Golf. If you like golf, there are plenty of opportunities to play it here. I also like that there are many different price points to choose from. Do you want majestic sand traps with well-manicured greens? We got those. Do you want a cow pasture with a hole in the ground? We got those too.

- Sport Leagues. I'm not talking about watching sports, but playing them. If there is a sport out there, then we have a league for it; most of which are at an affordable price.

- Particular to VA Beach: Cheap Public Recs. It's been 8 years for me, but I think a VA Beach Rec Card cost $50/yr and could take you to any of the recs.

- Cheap Sports Entertainment: The prices for minor league games are really reasonable and family friendly. It also doesn't ruin your weekend if they lose; you're just enjoying the game for what it is. The addition of ODU football has really reinvigorated a lot of the locals as well. I know people complain about not having a major sports team, but has anyone been to a major sports game recently? It's expensive. You're cramped entering and leaving the arena. If it's not next to mass transit you pay an arm-and-a-leg for parking, then walk 2 clicks before getting to the stadium. If it IS next to mass transit then you're packed into the trains like sardines. Basically, it's easier if you tailgate on your back porch and watch it in HD.

I know my list is sport-themed, but it's what I know and what I enjoy.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,504 times
I love the laid back, nonchalant attitude of the people

Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times
variety of mom and pop resturants!

Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
- Military feel
- Specific to Hampton a small-town feel not found in most mid-sized cities
- Downtown Norfolk
- Western Branch in Chesapeake
- pro players from Hampton Roads
- Hampton U
- Yorktown's history
- Mom and Pop seafood resturants

Old 10-27-2010, 04:24 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,453,449 times
There is always something to do
I'm with the Mom & Pop restaurants
Love the military folks
I believe our servicing companies give us more choices due to many self employed talented people.
weather..you can't beat it.
Wide variety/locations of universities and technical colleges

Old 10-28-2010, 04:46 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,846 times
Variety of types of space. One can go from urban to rural in minutes.
Good seafood. I guess because I grew up on Atlantic seafood, that's what I prefer. This stuff in CA is okay, but I miss the stuff from the Chesapeake Bay.
Seasons. I know a lot of people in HR think there's not a true Winter or Spring, but having spent a year in SF, I can say there most definitely is. I love seeing the foliage change colors in the Fall, which is something else this city doesn't experience.
Summer t-storms. Actually, any thunderstorm (doesn't have to be Summer ones, but they are the most intense usually). I miss those downpours.
History. I think HR has such an interesting history, and Virginia in general is so significant in terms of American history.
Connectivity to other areas. Just a short drive to Richmond, DC, or Baltimore (depending on traffic, of course). And an even shorter (and usually cheap!) flight to Philadelphia, New York City, or Chicago.
The people. When I lived in HR, I worked in Norfolk and most of the people I met were decent, hardworking, and honest people. The types that gave it to you straight, and didn't focus on flashy or unimportant things. Those are the people I identify with the most.
The smaller, more local beaches. Places like the North End, Chick's Beach, and Sandbridge in VB. I also like Ocean View Beach in Norfolk.

I know there's more, but I'll leave it at this for now.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:05 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,120 times
The FESTIVALS!!!!!

There is almost always something to go to here! Many times you can go from one festival to the next to the next on the same day!

There are seafood festivals, music festivals, oyster festivals, daffodil festivals, childrens festivals, fall festivals, Bay Days, Harbor Fest, Cajun fest, Peanut festivals, County Fairs, Indian Pow Wows, the list goes on and on!

There are EVENTS galore! I love the Air Shows that go on at the various Military bases around Hampton Roads.

The MUSIC Scene! Va Beach amphitheater, Portsmouths Venue, The Norva, The Hampton Coliseum. The Va Beach Oceanfront! Not to mention all of the small live music venues throughout Hampton Roads.

The many family/kid friendly places to go and things to do!
The Beaches, the parks, Busch Gardens, Water Country, Va beachs water park (sorry, the name escapes me right now), the childrens museum, museum of art, Chrysler Hall, all the other museums, Colonial WIlliamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown battlefield, the indoor bounce house/inflatable play areas, Bluebird Gap Farm, Peninsula fine arts center, Va Living Museum, Va Aquarium, Etc, Etc. Etc.

We have gone back and forth about moving the past few years, but it scares the heck out of me that we will not find a place that offers as much as the Hampton Roads area does.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:05 AM

136 posts, read 443,723 times
The festivals. There is something to do almost every weekend year round. And it's usually cheap or free.

Free music. Every night from Memorial Day to Labor Day you can watch bands outdoors, especially at Virginia Beach. Most cities have a night or two for free music every week during the summer.

The colleges. Seven good 4 year schools in HR, plus a great community college system. Lots of education choices. That also means no shortage of college sports. Six colleges have football teams. There's never a shortage of sports during the school year.

Our newspapers. While some major cities are struggling to keep one daily newspaper afloat, Hampton Roads has THREE competing daily newspapers. Plus, a good number of weeklies and local mags.

The water. It makes commuting a pain, but it's always nice to have a beach or river or bay just a few minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area