Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 01:41 PM

9 posts, read 25,606 times

Advertisements

Hi! We have decided to move to Chesapeake/VaB from South Africa! Both my husband and I were headhunted by 2 respective companies, our H1-B visas are in the process of being granted which hopefully will result in us moving in January 2011. My husband will work in Chesapeake and I in Vabeach. We did some research and have decided to try to get a house in the Great Bridge area, as we have 3 schoolgoing kids (13,9,9).
A few questions:
As we will probably arrive in January, how will the kids adapt to starting school in the middle of the schoolyear. (Our schoolyear is from January till December)?
My 13 year old loves cricket --- any luck that there might be a cricket club in the area?
All three boys do JKA karate --- any club in the area?
Our homelanguage is German (although in SA we can all speak at least 2 other languages as well - English, and Afrikaans). Any germanspeaking people around?
My husband was promised a salary of 100K. Will be be able to make ends meet, if I stay at home a while to see us settling in first? What pricerange could we look at regarding rental housing for the first year?
Your recommendations regarding an area to stay?

This is a huge step in our lives and we want it to WORK!! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
Early welcome! Great Bridge is a nice area to live in. $100,000 a year is a very nice salary and should do very well for you as you get settled. Expect to pay anywhere from 1200-1600 a month for a rental for you and your children. More if you go for something more opulent, of course.

I can't speak for the school year difference, not having school age children (or any, actually).

I'm not sure about Cricket in this area but there is no shortage of various karate dojos to be found in Hampton Roads.

I personally know a handful of German speakers as well as one or two who speak Afrikaans so I don't think you'll have much trouble finding people with whom to sprech the deutch. (I am not one of them as you can easily see from my poor attempt at German).

I recently left Hampton Roads but lived there for 35 years so if I can help with anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:10 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Mid-Atlantic Cricket Conference

Here's a link I found with a google search. It says there are teams in VAB. When contacting them use the ones with the 757 area codes. I'm not sure about where to live in Chesapeake as I live in VAB, but good luck to you with your move. Once you're sure what city you'll be living in I would call the school district APSP due to the difference in the school calender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area