Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 11:14 AM

12 posts, read 29,480 times

Advertisements

This is my 1st Halloween in Hampton with my two boys. We want to go trick-or-treating but I have NO idea of the best neighborhoods to do so. neighborhoods that are safe and you can park and walk down a street or two with many ppl participating. can someone PLEASE help me on this?!

Last edited by jenbn; 10-31-2010 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: TYPO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 06:24 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
I know its too late for this- but the amount of candy my boys recieved this year is insane! We are up in Wburg and trick-or-treated in our townhome complex ONLY and they each came back with half a pillow case full. That is absurdly insane for being out for only an hour. I am curious, does everyone give out handfuls or do they do the normal 1-2 piece per door? And what's with the sodas and full size candy bars? Is this normal?
P.S. My daughter just came home with her friends and they went trick-or-treating in what they called the rich neighborhoods- houses worth 400K on up and came home with less candy then the boys. So, I am assuming what my boys experienced was unusual.

Last edited by froggin4colorado; 10-31-2010 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: daughter came home...

Old 10-31-2010, 11:08 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
What your boys experienced is pretty much normal in my neighborhood in lower York County. Full size candy bars at a lot of the homes, just about everyone would give a handfull to each kid or tell them to reach in and grab a handfull themselves. I kept thinking "What in the world are we going to do with all of this candy?!?". And I only have one child trick or treating! We only went a short distance, just down our street and partially around the block. My son had filled one of those cinch sacks that are like backpacks and that was more than enough.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:53 AM

I don't remember getting that much candy when I was younger, do you? Is this because we are older and we actually did get that much but didn't think it was much? I wonder....

Old 11-01-2010, 05:50 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
No, I am positive that I never got this much candy trick or treating when I was a kid. In fact, I don't think my 3 sisters and I together got as much as my son has been getting the past few years all by himself. It probably has to do with Halloween being so commercialized now. More candy treats out there on the shelves now.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:17 PM

So I dip my hand into the huge basket that we keep it in every morning and give it to people I work with or see. I am hoping to make a dent after 2 weeks...

Old 11-03-2010, 08:06 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
I know its too late for this- but the amount of candy my boys recieved this year is insane! We are up in Wburg and trick-or-treated in our townhome complex ONLY and they each came back with half a pillow case full. That is absurdly insane for being out for only an hour. I am curious, does everyone give out handfuls or do they do the normal 1-2 piece per door? And what's with the sodas and full size candy bars? Is this normal?
P.S. My daughter just came home with her friends and they went trick-or-treating in what they called the rich neighborhoods- houses worth 400K on up and came home with less candy then the boys. So, I am assuming what my boys experienced was unusual.
Generally I let the kids pick from the bowl, and only a few are greedy little grabbers, so it probably averages 1 or 2 pieces per child.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:07 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbn View Post
This is my 1st Halloween in Hampton with my two boys. We want to go trick-or-treating but I have NO idea of the best neighborhoods to do so. neighborhoods that are safe and you can park and walk down a street or two with many ppl participating. can someone PLEASE help me on this?!
Just curious....why would you not go in your own neighborhood? We never went to other neighborhoods to trick or treat...not when I was a kid, or for my own son. Do you live out in the boonies?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:50 AM

46 posts, read 101,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Just curious....why would you not go in your own neighborhood? We never went to other neighborhoods to trick or treat...not when I was a kid, or for my own son. Do you live out in the boonies?
I never went to other neighborhoods as a kid and the one we are in now was literally crawling with kids on Halloween. It was great!!

With that said, and though this question wasn't posed to me, I can think of alot of reasons why one might look for other neighborhoods for Halloween. For example, we lived in an apartment complex a few years back and went to a neighborhood to give our kids a more 'traditional' trick or treating experience. As another example, my parents have lived in their house for almost 30 years. It's a neighborhood in which people move in and have stayed. All the kids that were there when I was a kid have grown up and moved on. My parents literally get maybe five trick or treaters a year. It's just not a neighborhood that would be great for kids to trick or treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area