U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 AM

23 posts, read 108,325 times

Advertisements

We've been here almost 10 months and I still feel like such a newcomer to the area. Our lease will be up in a few months and we are looking to find a more permament location to rent and then possibly buy. Money is tight right now since we have not been able to sell our home in Texas - we currently rent it out at a large loss and will probably have to so so for a few more years. The two areas that seem most affordable to us are Western Branch and Kempsville. I'm open to other areas as well, but so many are either way too expensive or has potential safety issues. I'm trying to get a sense of these two areas in terms of community attitude and schools. I have two children approaching middle school age, one with special needs. He has aspergers, which is a type of high functioning autism...think "really odd nerdy kid". He receives both special ed services and gifted services. He is actually very smart, but prone to being bullied, poor social skills, poor athletic ability and being overwhelmed with a lot of stimulation. Because he has such a hard time making/keeping friends he also sometimes finds himself in the "wrong" crowd because he is gullable/desperate and easily manipulated. Would either of these areas be a good fit for him? Supportive, tolerant of differences, not dangerous or too snobby? I really feel at a loss as to where we should focus our search. The only feedback I hear is to try to go to either Cox in VB or Great Bridge, but nothing else. First I think it is difficult to afford those areas and second with the best of the best also comes a lot of pressure and some snobbery that could make things even more stressful. Any thought on these areas and these schools (or others that might fit)?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:14 AM

3,558 posts, read 4,069,599 times
I am from Kempsville. If your children go to Kempsville Middle and High school I think you'll be overall happy. I went to both and I would feel more confident with sending my kids there than most schools in the area.

I don't know too much about Western Branch except that it's close to Portsmouth which is probably something I wouldn't be to crazy about when it comes to my kids. But of course I'm biased from growing up in Kempsville.

I want to say that overall Kempsville is a little bit more expensive to live in. Although I think they have built some expensive houses out in WB area in the last 10-15 years that has brought the value up.

One thing about Western Branch is that they are really building up around Suffolk area so expect the population to increase a lot there in the next decade.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:51 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,776,103 times
I am providing ABA services to a little girl in the Kempsville area and the family likes the area. Lots of kids on their street too, in a cul-de-sac. I don't know much about the other area though, sorry.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 PM

6,295 posts, read 9,708,127 times
I love Kempsville. There area is generally family friendly. Everything you could need is close by, and the schools are great.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 AM

179 posts, read 462,308 times
I like both Kempsville and Western Branch, Kempsville is in VaBch so a bit more congested. The other Chesapeake area you should look into is Grassfield, it is the new high school and it straddles the area between Great Bridge and Deep Creek. There are some nice family neighborhoods in there and the schools are good. I have one child in elementary and one in middle and am happy with both.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:10 PM

359 posts, read 717,721 times
Kempsville seems a little bit more in touch with Americana than W. Branch. Nice rec center too. But - and alas - a bit on the boring side.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:13 PM

6,295 posts, read 9,708,127 times
AH yes the rec centers in VAB are a great deal especially if you have kids. Their after school programs are great, and they have teacher work day programs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>