U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 07:50 PM

12,229 posts, read 17,372,423 times

Advertisements

I posted on the Virginia forum and several people suggested I check out the Hampton Roads area because of the things I said were important to me. However, they've made suggestions such as "check out Williamsburg and Yorktown" and I can't really find any information on these via the web. I checked out the apartment listings and they both seem reasonable compared to what I pay here so I just wanted some info on those areas in general. These were my criteria for a place to live if this helps:

Good public schools - I'll be teaching and my son will eventually attend one.
Affordable rental - $850 is the maximum
Within reasonable distance of Wal-Mart, shopping malls, movie theater and restaurants.
Friendly neighborhood with nearby parks and places where my family can walk, bike, play outside.
Lots of community involvement and activities.
Reliable Public transportation.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated; even if you can just direct me to a website. Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 08:09 PM

15 posts, read 50,750 times
what district are you going to be teaching in? i am in the same boat as you! just got a teaching job out there and have a young child, and confused about where to live....keep checking on here, i'm getting some pretty good advice!

Old 07-08-2007, 08:09 PM

25,856 posts, read 38,008,146 times
You may want to check out apts along rt 134 in York County, even the Hampton side of 134 aint bad. in 02 i lived in dominion yorkshire downs and lived in a 2 bed/ 2 bath apt for around $850 it may be a little more expensive now. the schools; York County is probably the best all around school system in HR, Hampton isn't the best school system but the schools you're zoned in along rt 134 arent bad at all, espically when compared with Orlando, Fl (i saw your other posts). You'll have everything you'll need in South York County or North Hampton, close to a big shopping center with a wal-mart, parks, and movies in NN's Kiln Creek Neighborhood (also not a bad place to live). Forget about public transportation though. There is none to speak about unless you want to talk about HRT buses when compared to the Transit of my location (outside DC). Do yourself a favor and buy any car b4 you get here. All in all i think you will enjoy HR.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:18 PM

12,229 posts, read 17,372,423 times
Thanks for the suggestions...

to answer your question mastersm9 I haven't even applied to teach anywhere yet, but I'm assuming once I'm there that is what I'll be doing since it was what I went to school for. I think Hampton High would be a great place to teach. I just was browsing online because even though we don't plan to move until May of next year I realized that moving to a state you know nothing about is going to take months of preparation. We're planning a look-see trip in October so Hampton Roads will be an area I check out.

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by nat_at772; 07-08-2007 at 08:37 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 07:34 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,440,315 times
Natalay, Hampton Roads is the name for the area, it encompasses are huge area including Hampton, Newport News (on one side of the river), and virginia beach, norfolk, chesapeake, suffolk on the other side. You may want to check into these distinct cities and see if one starts to feel more like you.

Shelly

Old 07-15-2007, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,104 times
Default Hi Natalay

I tell all my clients to check out GreatSchools.net for the most accurate and detailed information on schools. You can go to the Official City Websites
Official Government Site for the City of Williamsburg, Virginia and VisitWilliamsburg.com :: Welcome for Williamsburg and Welcome to Historic Yorktown, Virginia and Official City of Yorktown VA Virginia, Chamber, Main Street - City Guide
You can also check out Craigs List for Apartment Rentals.

I hope this helps Natalay. Take care, Rebecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I posted on the Virginia forum and several people suggested I check out the Hampton Roads area because of the things I said were important to me. However, they've made suggestions such as "check out Williamsburg and Yorktown" and I can't really find any information on these via the web. I checked out the apartment listings and they both seem reasonable compared to what I pay here so I just wanted some info on those areas in general. These were my criteria for a place to live if this helps:

Good public schools - I'll be teaching and my son will eventually attend one.
Affordable rental - $850 is the maximum
Within reasonable distance of Wal-Mart, shopping malls, movie theater and restaurants.
Friendly neighborhood with nearby parks and places where my family can walk, bike, play outside.
Lots of community involvement and activities.
Reliable Public transportation.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated; even if you can just direct me to a website. Thanks so much!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:36 AM

563 posts, read 2,653,956 times
As a former York County teacher, I highly recommend looking into teaching in York County.
Welcome to the York County School Division

They have relatively few discipline problems in my opinion, and the district is somewhat diverse.

As far as apartments...look into Criston Apartments in Newport News. It's really off the beaten path and has a family atmosphere to it. It's also in your price range. The only downside is they have a long waiting list, so you may want to call them and inquire about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area