U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:20 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,386,195 times

Advertisements

VA is one of the worst nanny states of them all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,703 times
Default Reckless driving ticket help

I was driving my friend's car from Herndon to pick him up in Williamsburg. I had two other friends with me in the car. I got pulled over doing 85 in a 70 zone and was charged with reckless driving. I know that I am at fault here. This is my first and I plan to be only traffic ticket. I do have two prior warnings.

I am 18 and just trying to figure out how bad this is, and if there is anything I can do to make it better. After searching online, I read that I should take a driver improvement class before the trial, attempt to plea with the prosecutor to have the charge changed to improper driving, and get a lawyer to do so. Is there anything else that I can do? And if I cannot get the charge changed, does anyone have an idea what the repercussions are going to be?

Thank you all for your time.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:21 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,041,827 times
Do all of the above but definitely get a lawyer. Reckless is a Class One Misdemeanor in Virginia which means you can get jail time, lose your license at your tender age, see your insurance rates skyrocket even more, and have to explain things on job applications and background checks.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:18 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,565,467 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/hampt...ed-advice.html

check out this thread...should have some answers for you

Old 11-18-2010, 02:37 AM

328 posts, read 1,454,899 times
Hopefully you have some +points on your record.. Driver Improvement course won't hurt. Neither would a Criminal Defense lawyer...

Old 11-22-2010, 02:44 PM

10 posts, read 22,099 times
Default Attorney costs/court fees question

Hi everyone,
First off, thanks to everyone who offered insight in my other thread. I've just got a couple of other questions. I hope I am not being redundant, but I tried to search for past threads and came up with nothing.
Can anyone give me a roundabout idea of what it costs to hire a traffic attorney in this area? I know that fees obviously vary, and my case is not one that will require much effort from the attorney. I just want a general idea of what is considered good and not-so-good to pay.
Also, in addition to hiring a lawyer, will I be charged court fees? I don't mean any potential fines that the judge may require, but court processing fees and what not.. Hope that's clear enough.
Once again, thanks in advance for any input! I appreciate it.

edit: Thanks to whoever merged them.. kinda felt like they were separate topics and thus warranted two threads.

Last edited by yonsu; 11-22-2010 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-25-2010, 11:12 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,700,064 times
Default hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonsu View Post
Hi everyone,
I've just received my first reckless driving ticket, and online research has led me to this board numerous times. I was just hoping for some advice on the best (and most practical) course of action for my situation.
I was pulled over on 64 for going 82 in a 65 by a Williamsburg/James County official. My record is otherwise clean (one ticket for following too closely that was dropped). I understand that the outcome depends greatly on the individual judge on my court date. I feel confident that my speedometer is likely a bit off, and plan to get it calibrated soon. Additionally, I've been advised to take a driver improvement course voluntarily prior to my trial. I guess my question is, will it be worth it for me to get an attorney? Initially I had no plans too, but reading up on some of Virginia's newer laws has scared me some. Ideally, I'm hoping that this will not affect my auto insurance. Thanks in advance for any insight!
1. An observation. Speed limits are really not suggestions. 55 means 55. Not 75 or more unless there's a cop around.

2. Get an attorney.

3. Get an attorney.

4. Drive the speed limit.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:00 PM

I would do the driver improvement class to prove to the court you are serious. As far as an attorney...State Patrol never loses in court.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:08 PM

10 posts, read 22,099 times
Thanks. I've already completed my driver improvement class.. I've consulted with an attorney, and he says that given the person that I am (after asking about my academics and career), there is a "1% chance" that I will get convicted. I was just hoping to see what a reasonable price for a traffic attorney is, for comparison purposes. Thanks.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonsu View Post
Thanks. I've already completed my driver improvement class.. I've consulted with an attorney, and he says that given the person that I am (after asking about my academics and career), there is a "1% chance" that I will get convicted. I was just hoping to see what a reasonable price for a traffic attorney is, for comparison purposes. Thanks.
Let us know how thngs go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area