U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:42 PM

894 posts, read 2,064,024 times

Advertisements

Avoid everyone else!!! People who can't drive should stay home. Period. If you must drive, try going to a big empty parking lot when/if it snows and practice! Snow is easy. Ice is nearly impossible, and I don't care if you grew up in Alaska. Once gravity takes over, all is lost. One trick is not to stand on your brakes. And steer where you want to go. Braking will do nothing but break your car's grip and inertia will cause it to go in a straight line regardless of where you're steering. And SLOW DOWN!!! You probably only need all season tires in HR at most. Like others have said, it's the most temperate region in the state and ice is the most you will see if any.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 12:56 PM

4,486 posts, read 8,847,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
First let me say, Hampton Roads does not have "Real Winter" but
you are not alone here. It seems 98% of people here can't drive in rain let alone snow ( just turn on the radio on rainy/snowy days). I lived all my life in NY/NJ and learned the hard way how to navigate snow.
The worse enemy you have is speed, so keep it down. Understand this the main problem is not traction but stopping. I have seen the invincibly stupid in their 4x4 flying down Rt 64 only to wind up in a multi car pileup. Pumping the brakes is a good idea for older cars without antilock brakes. If you do have antilock, pumping your brakes is not recommend. Another problem you may encounter is tailgating (it's a state habit). Avoid it. I'll leave it at that.
One thing to remember which people do not recall in a skid situation. If you are sliding while braking, the car WILL NOT turn. If you find yourself in a situation needing to turn while your car is sliding in a braking situation...release the brake your car will then turn in the direction your wheels are pointing.

For the local areas here in Hampton Roads your stock Honda will do fine. Snow is not typically severe here. It may snow today & be gone tomorrow. Chances are most of the time you may not even have to drive in it most of the time.

Just be alert & cautious
As I read your post, I am smiling because I understand where you are coming from. People in VA cannot drive for anything. It is insane. I lived in VA Beach for 2 years, and I saw people crashing just for ridiculous actions. I was even honked when driving fast at a highway while it was snowing. See, I'm from NY so I know what I am doing. Moreover, VA as a whole is ridiculous. Just for a little snow they will closed the schools and stores. People say that in NY, people do not know how to drive, but I have clearly saw more car accidents in VA than I have seen in NY.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:32 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,574,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
As I read your post, I am smiling because I understand where you are coming from. People in VA cannot drive for anything. It is insane. I lived in VA Beach for 2 years, and I saw people crashing just for ridiculous actions. I was even honked when driving fast at a highway while it was snowing. See, I'm from NY so I know what I am doing. Moreover, VA as a whole is ridiculous. Just for a little snow they will closed the schools and stores. People say that in NY, people do not know how to drive, but I have clearly saw more car accidents in VA than I have seen in NY.
There are many personalities here, just like any other military area, it's pretty much a given. Some lady gave me the finger just the other day. I smiled and said "Merry Christmas to you too."

Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 PM

4,486 posts, read 8,847,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
There are many personalities here, just like any other military area, it's pretty much a given. Some lady gave me the finger just the other day. I smiled and said "Merry Christmas to you too."
Wow why did she do that?

Old 12-19-2010, 02:03 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,706,006 times
Driving in the snow is very simple. Give yourself 3 times the room, and drive ¼ - ½ the speed. Nice and slow and steady.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,574,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Wow why did she do that?
Beats me, I was in a left turn lane and she was on a far right lane. She should have taken that phone away from her ear while she had her children in the car. Maybe people are in so much of a hurry that even the holiday season makes them inconsiderate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area