Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:11 PM

80 posts, read 204,115 times

Advertisements

I just moved here and have never had a real winter before, specifically I've never driven in the snow..i need some tips..

first of all, I have a brand new 2010 honda CR-V. Are there any special precautions that I should take to keep my car in good condition through the winter. Also, will I need snow chains here? Are the stock tires that come on new cars suitable to drive with. Any special fluids to be put in?

and...any other advice..thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 12:09 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,909,790 times
Snow is not usually much of an issue in Hampton Roads. Last year's "snowpocalypse" on the East Coast was the most I'd seen in HR in a long time. However, HR can get icy which can be dangerous if you're driving.

I've never done anything special to the vehicles I had. I just drove extra careful if it was snowy/icy, and avoided driving if I didn't really need to. One thing my mom taught me was to pump your brakes when stopping to keep your wheels from locking up which will make you slide. Since your car is new, I'm sure it'll handle the cold a lot better than the cars I had. It sucks having to sit in a freezing car in the morning waiting for it to warm up enough to be put into gear haha. One thing I will definitely recommend though: something to chip off ice/snow/frost from your windows, especially if your defrost doesn't actually defrost anything.

Hope you enjoy your first "real" Winter!

Old 12-05-2010, 07:37 AM

144 posts, read 417,984 times
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to xGrendelx again.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:02 AM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,026,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steflee55 View Post
I just moved here and have never had a real winter before, specifically I've never driven in the snow..i need some tips..

first of all, I have a brand new 2010 honda CR-V. Are there any special precautions that I should take to keep my car in good condition through the winter. Also, will I need snow chains here? Are the stock tires that come on new cars suitable to drive with. Any special fluids to be put in?

and...any other advice..thank you
First let me say, Hampton Roads does not have "Real Winter" but
you are not alone here. It seems 98% of people here can't drive in rain let alone snow ( just turn on the radio on rainy/snowy days). I lived all my life in NY/NJ and learned the hard way how to navigate snow.
The worse enemy you have is speed, so keep it down. Understand this the main problem is not traction but stopping. I have seen the invincibly stupid in their 4x4 flying down Rt 64 only to wind up in a multi car pileup. Pumping the brakes is a good idea for older cars without antilock brakes. If you do have antilock, pumping your brakes is not recommend. Another problem you may encounter is tailgating (it's a state habit). Avoid it. I'll leave it at that.
One thing to remember which people do not recall in a skid situation. If you are sliding while braking, the car WILL NOT turn. If you find yourself in a situation needing to turn while your car is sliding in a braking situation...release the brake your car will then turn in the direction your wheels are pointing.

For the local areas here in Hampton Roads your stock Honda will do fine. Snow is not typically severe here. It may snow today & be gone tomorrow. Chances are most of the time you may not even have to drive in it most of the time.

Just be alert & cautious

Old 12-05-2010, 11:39 AM

thanks everyone

Old 12-05-2010, 01:32 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,406,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steflee55 View Post
thanks everyone
Just take care on the roads. The black ice is more dangerous than the snow.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:09 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,909,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
you are not alone here. It seems 98% of people here can't drive in rain let alone snow ( just turn on the radio on rainy/snowy days). I lived all my life in NY/NJ and learned the hard way how to navigate snow.
The worse enemy you have is speed, so keep it down. Understand this the main problem is not traction but stopping. I have seen the invincibly stupid in their 4x4 flying down Rt 64 only to wind up in a multi car pileup. Pumping the brakes is a good idea for older cars without antilock brakes. If you do have antilock, pumping your brakes is not recommend. Another problem you may encounter is tailgating (it's a state habit). Avoid it. I'll leave it at that.
One thing to remember which people do not recall in a skid situation. If you are sliding while braking, the car WILL NOT turn. If you find yourself in a situation needing to turn while your car is sliding in a braking situation...release the brake your car will then turn in the direction your wheels are pointing.

For the local areas here in Hampton Roads your stock Honda will do fine. Snow is not typically severe here. It may snow today & be gone tomorrow. Chances are most of the time you may not even have to drive in it most of the time.

Just be alert & cautious
Nice post!

@Nikki75, thanks anyway pal.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 PM

371 posts, read 1,185,966 times
Do go out and buy you a nice, LONG, snow scraper with a brush on it. If you can find one that has a covered handle (so your hands dont freeze while your scrapeing) that is even better! Do this NOW, because when we get a good freeze you will not be able to find a snow scraper anywhere! Get you a pair of nice gloves to keep in your car and ONLY for use in your car. You will really want those gloves to be able to drive once your windows get scraped off. Your steering wheel will take a while to warm up and most likely you will already be out on the road driving before it does. An alternative would be to get one of those fabric/furry covers that slip over your steering wheel.

If you suspect that we will get snow, freezing ice, etc. for the following day, be sure to tilt your windshield wipers out into the 'service' position before you go to bed at night. This way your wipers wont be frozen onto the windshield and you wont have to scrape around them. I learned that one from my "northern" neighbors. Had never seen anyone do that in my life before (im a midwest/southern girl).

Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 AM

Hmm, if I park in my garage, it's less likely that my windows will frost, right?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:52 PM

44 posts, read 106,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post

Just be alert & cautious
NJR nailed it - even if you're experienced and can drive in the snow/ice, down here, 99% of the OTHER drivers on the road can't!! When it gets ugly, best to stay in - I can't count the number of wrecked cars/trucks that I've driven by during bad weather asking myself "how in the heck did they do that?"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area