U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 PM

13 posts, read 40,037 times

Advertisements

We are a family of five that relocated to Alexandria VA 7 months ago. We had NEVER moved before so are heads are still spinning as I have a 10th grader, 7th grader, and a 4 year old. My husband's company are offering him a position in the NE corner of Suffolk, VA. We have to decide fast as school is right around the corner. We are going this weekend to check out the area, and do not even know where to begin! My oldest daughter has to attend an IB high school and I do not think there are any in Suffolk. I know of one in Virginia Beach and one in Yorktown, but would love feedback on the areas. Also, we currently live in a highrise that offers everything but the kitchen sink.....does anyone know of a high rise over in those areas are any area nearby as we LOVE our place now...8th floor with a view, pool we do not have to clean, every ammenity you can imagine...no maintance! We feel like we are on permanent vacation! Money should not be an issue within reason. We are paying 2200 now a month, but would like to think we could cut that amount by moving or it just may not be worth it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 07:08 PM

530 posts, read 1,081,742 times
I believe Oscar Smith High School in Chesapeake has an IB program. The school did not score incredibly well overall in the Great Schools listings(greatschools.net), but IB programs are very good, so if you can get your child into that, I suppose all may be well.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 PM

25,716 posts, read 37,578,483 times
well hate to shatter your hopes but not many high-rises. I graduated TC Williams still live in Alexandria but also went to high school in Yorktown. Personally i would choose VA Beach, Yorktown (Tabb HS in particular) was more yuppie than i would have liked and i would imagine that VA Beach has a little more diverse enviroment than York Co depending on which HS. You'll have no problem finding a nice place for 2200 or 1600-1800 for that matter. Va Beach and Yorktown while not "cheap" are much more affordable than Alexandria City.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:11 PM

11 posts, read 43,945 times
Default Yorktown

Since I live in Yorktown and work in Suffolk I probably should comment. Yorktown schools are great, small class sizes, teachers care, no violence, and your kids will love it. I moved to YT from DC and it has been a refreshing change, although I am moving back to DC for job reasons. The commute to Suffolk from Yorktown takes anywhere from 25-40 minutes depending on where in Yorktown you live. The housing is expensive though, not DC expensive but not too far off. You won't find any high rises because YT is rural but there is planned communities in the area where they have those amenities you speak of. VA beach is very nice but to be honest the schools are not as good. That is why when moving to this area people say live in York County because that is where the good schools are ala Fairfax, VA. Hope that helps.

Dan

Old 07-15-2007, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,107 times
I live in York County, and have worked in Virginia Beach. VABCH will give you more of the lifestyle you're looking for, but the local traffic and the long commute to Suffolk will really wear you down. There's also a lot of recent complaining in VABCH about the climbing tax rates.

York County Schools are wonderful. My kids don't go to York HS, the IB school, but another one in the county. I second cnparda's comments: All the amenities you could want for less money than you must be paying now, but we don't have high rises.

Kind of a tough call, I suppose. Good luck.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:31 PM

142 posts, read 539,286 times
I agree with all of the above. My family lived in Yorktown for 14 years and the schools are highly recommended along with a high quality of life. Virginia Beach would offer a more urban setting and diverse population along with more expensive housing and more traffic. The schools are decent in Va Beach. However, I think the commute from Yorktown to NE Suffolk is much easier (through 664) and less stressful than from Va Beach.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:53 AM

14 posts, read 162,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyunpack View Post
We are a family of five that relocated to Alexandria VA 7 months ago. We had NEVER moved before so are heads are still spinning as I have a 10th grader, 7th grader, and a 4 year old. My husband's company are offering him a position in the NE corner of Suffolk, VA. We have to decide fast as school is right around the corner. We are going this weekend to check out the area, and do not even know where to begin! My oldest daughter has to attend an IB high school and I do not think there are any in Suffolk. I know of one in Virginia Beach and one in Yorktown, but would love feedback on the areas. Also, we currently live in a highrise that offers everything but the kitchen sink.....does anyone know of a high rise over in those areas are any area nearby as we LOVE our place now...8th floor with a view, pool we do not have to clean, every ammenity you can imagine...no maintance! We feel like we are on permanent vacation! Money should not be an issue within reason. We are paying 2200 now a month, but would like to think we could cut that amount by moving or it just may not be worth it!
Wow, forget the highrise, you could have your own 2 story house with a pool in the backyard here for that price. Check out Suffolk, near Harbourview area off of Bridge Road. Very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area