U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 PM

8,578 posts, read 6,397,870 times

Advertisements

We're on the western edge of Virginia Beach. We ended up with almost ten inches in the front yard and on the hood of our car and 10-3/4 inches in the back yard and on the deck. Those aren't official measurements, just us using a ruler. Either way, that's a LOT!

The roads into our subdivision are a mess. There are only two ways in and out and they're both filled with slushy snow and now it's turning to ice.

Everybody be careful out there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 PM

1,728 posts, read 5,959,735 times
Were the main thoroughfares cleared today? I remember several times waiting for VB Blvd to be cleared. Seems like it took forever.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:21 PM

492 posts, read 922,529 times
Saw the funniest thing the other day.. (In a sense)

I left out of the house yesterday to go over to 7-11 to re-up on some snacks for the family. I decided to go ahead and gas up my car since I was already out, and while waiting for the pump to finish, there was this guy with Ohio tags on his car who was clearly a little too overconfident with his driving abilities in the snow. He became impatient with a man who was exiting 7-11's parking lot cautiously at the same time he was trying to enter, so he decides to beep his horn repeatedly to hurry the man along. Once the car had passed from in his way, this idiot decides to fly through the parking lot which is basicly nothing but ice at this point. As he tries to turn to park in the parking space, his car loses control and slides through the parking lot until he crashes into a big wall of snow that was created by a plow truck. His car was now stuck despite several attempts to free it by flooring the gas. Everyone just looked at him like "U jack-A**" and no one offered to help him. (two people eventually went over to assist him though)

It was the funniest thing I had saw, but it was also kind of scary because he could have killed someone. What was going on in that head of his? And they say virginians cant drive? ........... Some people from up north need to be a little more cautious. Yes you may be use to snow, but ice is totally different.

On my way to work today, I even saw some idiot lady driving too fast next to me while talking on her cell phone as if she did not see and feel the ice on the roads. As we came to a stop light, she did not decelerate properly causing her car to slide. She ended up crashing over the median into oncoming traffic to avoid hitting the car in front of her. She was such an IDIOT!!! (She had virginia tags too ..... I guess we cant drive)

Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 PM

135 posts, read 347,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Were the main thoroughfares cleared today? I remember several times waiting for VB Blvd to be cleared. Seems like it took forever.
There were still some spots that were rough as you headed north on VB Blvd toward Norfolk.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,602,189 times
Loving the SNOW!!!!! I am so impressed! Last time I saw this much snow was back in 1997 in CO. Two years in a row here and look! And Virginians said they don't get snow. Heck, CO doesn't get snow like Virginia! lol

Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 AM

8,321 posts, read 14,089,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Loving the SNOW!!!!! I am so impressed! Last time I saw this much snow was back in 1997 in CO. Two years in a row here and look! And Virginians said they don't get snow. Heck, CO doesn't get snow like Virginia! lol
According to a news article I read, this has been the most snow for HR since 1981. We broke some records, too.

We played in the snow and made the obligatory snowman and snow angel. Didn't really go anywhere until today.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:18 PM

440 posts, read 1,734,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post

On my way to work today, I even saw some idiot lady driving too fast next to me while talking on her cell phone as if she did not see and feel the ice on the roads. As we came to a stop light, she did not decelerate properly causing her car to slide. She ended up crashing over the median into oncoming traffic to avoid hitting the car in front of her. She was such an IDIOT!!! (She had virginia tags too ..... I guess we cant drive)
Well that explains all the road signs I have seen taken out on medians and street corners. And there are A LOT!

I walked to the store on Sunday, but finally drove out on Monday. And I have to say, people drove like they had sense.

Though one guy was walking down the middle of the lane on Rosemont road. I understand the sidewalks were literally mountains of snow, but walking down the MIDDLE of a travel lane is not wise! I was pissed to say the least as he would not get out of the way and I had to maneuver over the snow that piled between the lanes to avoid hitting him.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 751 times
The snow wasn't the problem for me {being from Michigan}, it was the huge pot holes it created when the snow froze into ice. My front end on my car has never been the same......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area