U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 07:58 PM

24 posts, read 62,501 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know if anything is organized in the city of Norfolk as far as driving around to find those in need of help?

Was going to drive in my neighborhood with an extra blanket we have and fleece hats I just got today, but hubby reminded me that people could be paranoid, seeing an unknown individual handing out stuff.

Having lived in larger cities, I recall organized missions to go and find those who might not have the mental abilities or physical strength to find shelter/help.

Otherwise, I guess I'll offer my blanket and hats tomorrow, in the daytime.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 10:59 AM

1,653 posts, read 5,411,848 times
Check with the Union Mission building downtown. If anyone knows about anything going for the homeless, it would probably be them. And I know they take donations too. I donated clothes last Fall.

Also, my experience with the homeless has been that they're usually receptive of gifts from strangers. If I was sleeping on a snow covered sidewalk, and someone wanted to give me an extra blanket or coat, I'd definitely take it.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:36 AM

24 posts, read 62,501 times
Default Not paranoid

You're right xGrendelx. Went and got a bowl of hot soup and a bunch Heatmax hand warmers this morning and handed them to this poor fellow who'd slept outside (lows in the teens and very windy yesterday). We chatted a bit and I can understand him not wanting to seek shelter when he's been harassed in some of those places in the past. The man does not drink, went to college, did 9 years in the Navy, reads a lot, is incredibly well-spoken. He's been homeless in the city of Norfolk since 1990. I encourage those of you who are hesitant but have good intentions to reach out, sooner than later, not to try and change a person's life, but to make it a little less unbearable even if for one day. Heatmax hand warmers are a buck a pair at the Dollar store (or whatever the name of the place is). For obvious reasons, care should be taken in the approach: I know this person by sight, I see him every day in my neighborhood, would not have approached him otherwise. I went in broad daylight, said hello with a smile, asked if he wanted my help. There, not a very complicated formula. Listened to him and conversed, had to end the conversation, he had a lot to say, or he was trying to be courteous and let me end it first The man has had an incredibly hard life but his eyes and smile were so honest and refreshing, dare I say. Went on with my errands this morning and could not understand the number of people with nice clothes on, jobs, meaning in their lives that had such dry or rude manners. Puts things back in perspective.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:16 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,411,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveGhent View Post
You're right xGrendelx. Went and got a bowl of hot soup and a bunch Heatmax hand warmers this morning and handed them to this poor fellow who'd slept outside (lows in the teens and very windy yesterday). We chatted a bit and I can understand him not wanting to seek shelter when he's been harassed in some of those places in the past. The man does not drink, went to college, did 9 years in the Navy, reads a lot, is incredibly well-spoken. He's been homeless in the city of Norfolk since 1990. I encourage those of you who are hesitant but have good intentions to reach out, sooner than later, not to try and change a person's life, but to make it a little less unbearable even if for one day. Heatmax hand warmers are a buck a pair at the Dollar store (or whatever the name of the place is). For obvious reasons, care should be taken in the approach: I know this person by sight, I see him every day in my neighborhood, would not have approached him otherwise. I went in broad daylight, said hello with a smile, asked if he wanted my help. There, not a very complicated formula. Listened to him and conversed, had to end the conversation, he had a lot to say, or he was trying to be courteous and let me end it first The man has had an incredibly hard life but his eyes and smile were so honest and refreshing, dare I say. Went on with my errands this morning and could not understand the number of people with nice clothes on, jobs, meaning in their lives that had such dry or rude manners. Puts things back in perspective.
Great story! You should be proud of yourself. You and I are on the same page today, actually. I just got back from donating 6 trash bags full of clothes and shoes to a place here in San Francisco. I hope they go to similar use as your handwarmers. I think more cities need more people like you. Instead of seeing a homeless person as disgusting, or an "undesirable", I believe it's more important to offer help in someway other than a few coins from time-to-time. My grandmother always said, "That's someone's child." And your experience today proves that not every homeless person is some whack job or dangerous. Good for you!

Also, your comment about the man's eyes made me think of the photography movement (you may have heard of it) called "$2 Portraits." Many photographers in San Francisco take part in it. Here's a link to one of them if you're interested:

Small Talk on Commercial Street | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/travisjensensf/4016174204/in/faves-xgrendelx/ - broken link)

Old 12-14-2010, 03:36 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,561,900 times
I donate blankets to the churches as they take in the Homeless, feed and offer showers to them during the holidays (Wal-Mart has them for 6-10 dollars). Last year I went to Sam's and bought lunch meat, tomatoes, lettuce and rolls. Dropped them off to help them, help the less fortunate.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:21 PM

359 posts, read 689,908 times
Bless you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: