Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 AM

24 posts, read 67,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Also I have seen so many many cars driving super slow in the HOV lane. If you drive in the HOV lane please do not drive in the same speed as the other lanes on the right, I mean come on now. Also when you change lane used signals please and do not get in if you are driving slower than the cars on that lane.
Stands for "High Occupancy Vehicle" not "High On Velocity", just making sure you are aware of that I don't see the logic in comparing the HOV and right lane speeds. If trying to pass someone that's driving too slow use the center lane, not the HOV lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 12:12 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveGhent View Post
Stands for "High Occupancy Vehicle" not "High On Velocity", just making sure you are aware of that I don't see the logic in comparing the HOV and right lane speeds. If trying to pass someone that's driving too slow use the center lane, not the HOV lane.
But that's illegal. You're not supposed to pass on the right.

Technically if you wish to pass somebody you may give an audible (honk) or visual (high beams) message to the driver in front of you, and according to the law, they are required, when safe, to move to the right lane and allow you to pass.

Does that happen? No. If you do that most people here would think you're being a jerk and would try and fight you like an animal.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:23 PM

148 posts, read 370,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
But that's illegal. You're not supposed to pass on the right.

Technically if you wish to pass somebody you may give an audible (honk) or visual (high beams) message to the driver in front of you, and according to the law, they are required, when safe, to move to the right lane and allow you to pass.

Does that happen? No. If you do that most people here would think you're being a jerk and would try and fight you like an animal.
Is it illegal if you pass them on the right going the speed limit? I do admit that the speed limits in this entire state are lower than they should be though.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:37 PM

No, it's illegal if you're behind them and then pull to the right in order to pass.

Yes, the speed traps, I mean limits, are ridiculous.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:36 PM

33 posts, read 100,377 times
Default Hampton Roads Area

I lived in the Hampton Roads area a short time and did what I could to go far away as possible. I had nothing against the area. My goal was to cover geographic area at that age. Thinking back, I like that place. The mild weather was nice, the proximity to D.C. was nice, the history was nice, and I liked the lushness of the landscape. Some of the few people there I met in the short time where nice and lovely. I remember young, attractive women wearing dresses on Sunday. There was a real merry, egalitarian feel amongst some of the locals too. The forests, York river, stone bridges, and historical towns where nice too. I am feeling sentimental right now and it wasn't perfect there or anything.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:59 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveGhent View Post
If I am going fast it is supposed to be the left lanes not right lanes. The people just get on the HOV just for the fun of it. I don't understand. If they are going to go slow get on the right lane and that's it. Sometimes it says all traffic to be in the HOV lane.. and that is what I am talking about. During rush hours they put on the sign that all traffic can go in there. That is what I am saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
No, it's illegal if you're behind them and then pull to the right in order to pass.

Yes, the speed traps, I mean limits, are ridiculous.
Yeah the speed limit is horrendous, and the cops are so strict. They will give you a ticket for everything and anything.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Yeah the speed limit is horrendous, and the cops are so strict. They will give you a ticket for everything and anything.
Nanny state at its finest!

Old 12-18-2010, 04:27 AM

745 posts, read 2,208,461 times
I frequently use the HOV lane just because it doesn't have nearly as many potholes and 'speed bumps' as the other lanes that more trucks use.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:14 AM

148 posts, read 370,694 times
Ah... people and their complaining about other people's driving...

Personally; besides some of the slow people here; I haven't had many bad experiences that are worthy of stressing over or trying to understand the situation.

One thing I have noticed in this area that does not apply in most others is the fact that it seems semis are free to travel on any lane they desire as opposed to most other places where they are restricted from the far left lane.

Keep passing them on the left and continue going if you need too. Nobody is going to follow you home for doing something so insignificant to our daily lives and if they do... they live a miserable life at that.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:35 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsilon View Post
Ah... people and their complaining about other people's driving...

Personally; besides some of the slow people here; I haven't had many bad experiences that are worthy of stressing over or trying to understand the situation.

One thing I have noticed in this area that does not apply in most others is the fact that it seems semis are free to travel on any lane they desire as opposed to most other places where they are restricted from the far left lane.

Keep passing them on the left and continue going if you need too. Nobody is going to follow you home for doing something so insignificant to our daily lives and if they do... they live a miserable life at that.
Contrar..we drove from Tennessee to Arkansas last spring and Semi's (alot of them on the roads) go where they please.
You do have to take into account, that Norfolk International Terminal is a huge depot for semi-trailers picking up imports for transport (NIT also employ thousands of people). I don't mind the semi's, they are on a mission. I really don't mind the slow drivers either, I just change lanes and keep on movin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area