U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 PM

80 posts, read 190,230 times

Advertisements

I have been living here for about a year now and I gotta say, I don't really care for it too much. I am in the Navy, and I think the main reason I dont really like it here is because EVERYONE is military and I cant get away from them. The traffic here is absolutely horrendous, and some of the drivers are the slowest on the planet. I've also met several people who have grown up here that hate this place. I dont want to completely bash Hampton Roads because there is a lot of things to do here, I just want to know how everyone else feels. Oh the court system sucks as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 05:22 AM

148 posts, read 352,320 times
I grew up here and love it and the only tie I have to the military is that my father was in the Navy. I have a ton of friends who are not a part of the military as well. I have traveled the country but found myself returning here due to being laid off and recieving numerous job invitations back here. I believe if anything, the military futher stimulates the local economy(as opposed to most other cities) due to the numerous civilian/government contractors that spring up around here as well as regional influence from Washington. This area has much potential but I see a lot of negative influence being brought about by numerous parties to limit Norfolk's growth.

Depending upon your age and interest, you simply need to burst out of your current social bubble and find others whom you can relate to and hang out with. Check out Granby Street if you haven't yet. Also, know that it is impossible to judge an entire region of people even if you have perceived it already in a certain light. Know that most people on this website are looking to move away or try and convince people not to move here out of their own selfish hatred due to their experiences here. It is pretty much just like any other region in the United States as it has its Ups and Downs. The traffic here is nothing compared to larger cities, try driving around D.C during rush hour for example and then come back down here and compare the traffic situation.

Even if I am the only one on this forum that likes this area; I have no desire to change my opinion of this place. It may not be heaven for everyone, but I love it here and I love Virginia. Each and every one of us must find our own place in this world for it is only healthy to do so. If you do not like it here, I must ask; What is it that you desire in terms of living conditions? Or so to say; what is your ideal location and why?

I have to get ready for work at the moment so I can't finish this... but I will be back.

Last edited by Upsilon; 12-16-2010 at 06:17 AM..

Old 12-16-2010, 06:47 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,473,540 times
Yes... but we are out having fun with our friends and family instead of bitching about the place on a relocation forum so you may not hear from us that often.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 AM

3,848 posts, read 8,802,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopi5 View Post
I have been living here for about a year now and I gotta say, I don't really care for it too much. I am in the Navy, and I think the main reason I dont really like it here is because EVERYONE is military and I cant get away from them. The traffic here is absolutely horrendous, and some of the drivers are the slowest on the planet. I've also met several people who have grown up here that hate this place. I dont want to completely bash Hampton Roads because there is a lot of things to do here, I just want to know how everyone else feels. Oh the court system sucks as well.
HR is like the Little Engine That Can't. Nobody does anything and when they do it's usually poorly done.

Look at the history of the area. You can see one thread on the first page right now about the bulldozing of practically all of Norfolk.

The urban sprawl, the road congestion, the reaction to slightly higher taxes to improve the area, the fear of public transportation, I could go on and on.

I've said it before and will say it again, HR has the potential to be a very important place, but unfortunately the people here keep the area down. People here are happy with status quo and are very much all about "me." How will it affect me, why do I have to pay more, I'm not here to support this or that.

If they're happy in their own little bubble it's to hell with everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Yes... but we are out having fun with our friends and family instead of bitching about the place on a relocation forum so you may not hear from us that often.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,129,388 times
I love Hampton Roads.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:05 AM

492 posts, read 966,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
HR is like the Little Engine That Can't. Nobody does anything and when they do it's usually poorly done.

Look at the history of the area. You can see one thread on the first page right now about the bulldozing of practically all of Norfolk.

The urban sprawl, the road congestion, the reaction to slightly higher taxes to improve the area, the fear of public transportation, I could go on and on.

I've said it before and will say it again, HR has the potential to be a very important place, but unfortunately the people here keep the area down. People here are happy with status quo and are very much all about "me." How will it affect me, why do I have to pay more, I'm not here to support this or that.

If they're happy in their own little bubble it's to hell with everyone else.

I think its the military which keeps the area down. Its like a gift and a curse. The military provides us with a lot of jobs and is an economic benefit for the area, but in the reverse, the military drives the COL up while keeping the wages down since there is a large labor supply in the area due to those who get out of the military and decide to stick around.

Then you have the older generation who wants to keep the area as it was in the 60's and 70's. Those who are against progress and are scared of change.

You also have the city governments who refuse to work together, not realizing that more can be accomplished as a whole unit/metro. As far as the southside, Norfolk is the core city for the region, but now its like Norfolk and VA Beach are competing for the title with Chesapeake not too far behind. If the cities could come to some decision to work together while treating Norfolk as the Hub, while VA Beach and Chesapeake operate as anchor cities/suburbs, I think it would be beneficial. (And operating as an anchor city or suburb would not mean that the beach or chesapeake were any less significant than norfolk, but it provide a plan for future growth)

Then theres also the good 'Ol boy mentality of the area.. and the corrupt government officials.

But with all of that, I still love the area, and there are many others who do too. Its just something about this area thats hard to explain. Its like a big town. City-ish, yet small townish. A mix of southern, north eastern, and midatlantic, with people from all over.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:12 AM

8,578 posts, read 6,698,768 times
Default Try this..

koopi5, I learned a long time ago that no matter where I lived I would really try hard to find just ONE positive thing about the area. Sometimes it would take me a whole year to find one thing, but then once I did, it wasn't so hard to find another - and another. It's usually not easy but it DOES work. Eventually.

I don't mean to sound so naive but your post sounds so down... this isn't such a bad place. Keep in mind that every town/city/area has it's down side. I understand about it not being like 'home', but remember, it's only as good as you want it to be.

Okay, sorry...I'll climb down off the soapbox now. Didn't mean to preach.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 AM

3,841 posts, read 4,234,049 times
Hated it. Lived there for 36 years and loathed every day. The heat, humidity, traffic, crappy roads, and low pay just added up to daily misery. I moved to Alaska and am much happier now.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:40 AM

27 posts, read 83,759 times
We are military and we like the place, especially looking at what other possibilities we could ended up with! Its what you make out of it - you can enjoy your time here or always ***** about what is not here and what is better in other places, but it won't make your stay here any better when all you bring to the table is negativity .
But, we are also beyond the age where we go out each weekend to a club or bar.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:19 PM

148 posts, read 352,320 times
You will find that no matter which forum you click on in this website, there will always be someone bashing the area you're looking into. It's simply unavoidable for everyone to be happy in any place in this world. But that is also what makes it a beautiful world in that we are all different and seek different types of comfort. Living in an area you like is one piece of the pie on your road to true happiness.

Maybe all that sounds lame, but whatever, lol. I love it here as all of my friends and family are here. I grew up here and went to Oscar Smith High, went out to California for college and came back after I got laid off there and I have to say that this is a beautiful country through and through and you will find your place of harmony one day.

I'd probably say my personal favorite area is Nevada and I plan to probably retire there if I can; but Hampton Roads will always be home. I do agree with VA7cities in the regard that the region could cooperate with each other a lot better. If they were to market it better and establish better relations, this area could easily be something of a Dallas-Fort Worth type region where there is a ping pong type shift in economic prowess between both downtowns. For the Southside, this would be referring to the Norfolk-Virginia Beach connection of course. At the same time though, this region is unique because there are so many big cities right up on each other, each with it's own feel and distinction and despite the premise of them being suburbs to Norfolk, a lot of people work all over the area.

Cooperation is key for growth; I was somewhat disappointed that some residents didn't want the metro train to be built well into Virginia Beach simply because of the fear of transients. What a bunch of **** honestly. Let's kick out Pat Robertson from the area too. Tell him to go live in the middle of nowhere and let's get off of this conservative set-back that seems to influence the area. With so many people coming from all over, this area has a promising potential to be an international/national destination with the right optimism implanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area