Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,977 times

Advertisements

I moved here before I had Knowledge of this site. Biggest regret of my life. Parkway elementary school is a great place to study shanking and "GANGSTA101" This kind of behavior seems to be encouraged by the principal & Vice principal. I pay $1000 a month to live in a three bedroom prison cell. But, on the bright side there seems to be racial motivation against caucasians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 02:29 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
As people have noted there are alot of good neighborhoods in Va Bch, but also a number of bad neighborhoods. If you could list the price range for housing you have in mind that would help us help you in obtaining a list of neighborhoods we feel are safe in that price range

Old 10-04-2007, 01:34 PM

74 posts, read 379,171 times
Default Little Neck/Kingston/Kings Grant

I grew up in Kingston. I can't speak for property values these days but I can tell you that Kingston/Lynnhaven/FC are great schools.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:31 PM

132 posts, read 661,055 times
I grew up in VB in Kempville and can say it is a great area. Any neighborhood in the Kempsville district would be fine. As with about every neighborhood in the country that isnt gated, VB has seen an increase in crime. Thats just the world we live in.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 37,170 times
I dont mind paying up to 1100 for a two bedroom , as long as I live in a safe area.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:36 AM

8 posts, read 45,245 times
I've lived in Virginia Beach for over 25 years. I grew up in the Kempsville Area (Brigadoon, Brigadoon Pines). It was a great neighborhood back in the 80s, but the traffic in that area has gotten way out of control. (Everywhere in VB really, but especially Kemspville.)
Little Neck is a great neighborhood. Within Little Neck you have Kings Grant (this neighborhood is middle to upper class, maybe 40+ years old. Good size lots, houses are not on top of each other. Great schools- half of Kings Grant goes to Kingston, always among the top 1 or 2 rated elementary schools in the city, and the other half goes to Kings Grant elementary, also a top rated school. (VB has 55 elementary schools, so to be in the top is a great accomplishment) At the front of Kings Grant, near Virginia Beach Boulevard, is a much less expensive neighborhood (I don't know the subdivision name, but the streets are Ingram, Sharp, and lots of planet names). Its not much to look at, but I know many people who live there, and they say it is safe and they like their neighbors. Also in Little Neck, you have Middle Plantation, an upscale neighborhood (houses would be 400K- 1mil). Large lots. This neighborhood goes to Kingston Elementary. Further down Little Neck, by the water, is Seabreeze and other subdivisions with a mixture of small and bigger houses, but the closer to the water you get, the bigger the houses will be. (Little neck is a dead end road, maybe two miles long, that ends at the water- unlike great neck, it does not connect to shore drive.)

The Thalia neighborhood backs up to Kings Grant, and is a nice, sought after development as well. Thalia is a nice school, recently remodeled.

Kings Grant, Middle Plantation, and Seabreeze will go to Lynnhaven Middle and First Colonial High School (even though the neighborhood is actually much closer to Princess Anne High School.)

As someone said before, Virginia Beach is a big city- and really spread out. There are nice neighborhoods all over. The Courthouse section is currently being built up and is very nice. Pungo is WAY out there, but has lots of space (a precious commodity in this city that seems to be waging a war against undeveloped land!)

Old 12-26-2007, 06:29 PM

17 posts, read 106,879 times
Default neighborhoods in VB

I graduated from Princess Anne High School in 94, and it was and is a very good school. We live in the Great Neck area, where my kids attend Trantwood Elementary and Lynnhaven Middle. The neighborhoods that were listed to avoid are acurate. You will pay more to live in a better school district, and there are exceptions, but even an honest teacher would tell you that there are levels of education in this area (as with most areas)... I would say middle of the road would be Kempsville and PA, with a great amount of diversity and balanced education, but the majority of the money is in Cox and First Colonial.
Look for Thalia, Point of Woods, Little Neck....

Old 12-26-2007, 07:54 PM

87 posts, read 334,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster View Post
Does anyone have an opinion about Providence Elementary or Larkspur Elementary? Thanks!
My kids attended Providence Elementary, and it is excellent. The school is small (~500 kids, k-5) with a great after care program and no real problems. There is no such thing as Larkspur Elementary, but Larkspur Middle is one of the largest middle schools in Virginia and has a really bad reputation.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,817 times
There are some nice places in the Salem Crossing area, for rent -- or purchase.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,212 times
I live in Pungo, and work in Norfolk. I think the joy of living in Pungo far outweighs the 45 minute commute. The schools are great, especially Creeds Elementary. With Red Mill Commons booming, there is all the "uptown" shopping you can stand just 15 minutes away.
I will be retiring from the Navy soon, and moving out of state. If anyone is looking for a nice house in the area send me a message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area