U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:00 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,614,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABEACHSAFETYMAP View Post
yea those should be safe. nowhere that youre gonna get shot or mugged

She didn't even say what area of VA Beach they were in. How can you possibly tell her they're safe?! VA Beach is not Mayberry by any stretch of the imagination and she could seriously get into a very bad area with advice like that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 AM

78 posts, read 136,739 times
Could you please tell me about jobs, (bookkeeping is what I will be looking at) cost of living, (I will be looking to rent a room with someone) gas prices, (right now I am paying 3.11) I was looking at Williamsburg due to the college of William and Mary. How far away from the ocean would I be traveling? How much does it snow? I live in Vermont and am looking to get away from the long winters. Are there things to do? Where I live there really is nothing here which makes me so depressed it's not funny. I really want to be around "life".

Thanks so much
Merrie

Old 01-03-2011, 01:48 PM

520 posts, read 1,523,403 times
From the Virginia Beach oceanfront to William and Mary is probably at least 1 hour, assuming no traffic. 60 miles, says google maps. And you cross the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, which often has backups. So it could run your 1.5 hours+ during rush hour I presume.

Snow is rare.

There is more life than Vermont I presume, but it's nothing like a large city such as DC or NYC. The locals looking to sell real estate think it is, but it's not. There is stuff to do in any city. You could probably hit everything interesting in a month if you venture out every day.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:02 PM

78 posts, read 136,739 times
Can you please tell me about the safety and job market in the area. I was reading about Oyster point I think it was called last night.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:54 PM

Safety depends on where you're at. There are good areas and bad areas. Any particular location you're looking at right now?

Jobs are relatively stable around here.

As for long winters, we do get snow here, usually at least once or twice a winter. It's not much, usually, but people freak out and everything closes. The panic is the worst part of the snow here.

Unless it's the summer there's not much to do around the beach. It's very seasonal there.

There is some "life" here, but most of it closes around 9 at night. If you're looking to ease out of podunk nowhere this area wouldn't be horrible for you. If you really want to go from cold to hot where things are always happening, I suggest either New York, DC, or an outlying area of the cities.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:06 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,704,753 times
Snow is rare...lol. I know, unusual two winters now, but considering this is my second winter here, I am loving the snow! Yea, I have said it before, but I am really loving all this snow!
It did take me a good 1.5 hr in the summer to drive from Wburg to VABeach. So I concur with that.

LOVE THE SNOW!!! Hoping to get more this weekend!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:47 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,245,885 times
About the $800 rent thing; place I stay at is $850 a month and while I would not necessarily say that it is unsafe I would say that it is sketchy, at best. I never had any issues, other than noise, plumbing, usual inconveniences, etc. I will say this though; the police camp over there in an "unmarked" car, lol, so if something were to happen, you could get a response in a matter of minutes, literally. I think the heavy police presence in VB contributes to it being safe, not that things are necessarily any different there than Norfolk.

And it is not an efficiency either, a 2 bedroom. $800 for an efficiency sounds like the Oceanfront, no way you can get into "downtown" or any other area for that rate that an efficiency would demand that type of rent.

Last edited by goofy328; 01-05-2011 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: additional information

Old 01-22-2011, 08:03 PM

12 posts, read 28,094 times
I'm new to the area and am looking to buy a used car from a dealer that will finance someone with bad credit. I posted a thread on this and so far only got 1 reply directing me to a third party lender which I want to avoid if possible. Do you know of any such auto dealerships? or with the third party lending, which would be the best? thanks

Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM

How much are you looking to spend?

If your credit is so bad, and you can't afford to pay cash, I would suggest you not spend too much. $5000 tops.

You might also try P2P lending sites like Prosper, but there's no guarantee you'll be funded.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:11 AM

12 posts, read 28,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
How much are you looking to spend?

If your credit is so bad, and you can't afford to pay cash, I would suggest you not spend too much. $5000 tops.

You might also try P2P lending sites like Prosper, but there's no guarantee you'll be funded.
I have $2000 to put down and am looking to spend $6000 and under so I'll need $4000 tops, financed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area