Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2010, 12:47 PM
 
1,700 posts, read 5,929,952 times
Reputation: 1584

Advertisements

I've seen a few articles the past few days about Amtrak extending to Norfolk, so I thought I'd post one of them here. I'm really excited about this, and will definitely take advantage of being able to board a train in Norfolk without having to get off until I reach Boston.

Train travel to reach Norfolk | InsideNova
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2010, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
135 posts, read 390,469 times
Reputation: 56
Hmm have always wanted to take the train so thats cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2010, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Where ever you're at, that's where you are!
371 posts, read 1,190,724 times
Reputation: 223
Took the Amtrak up to DC a few months back for the first time. LOVED IT! That is the way to go! Big roomy seats. Space to move around. Just get on and let someone else do the driving! Our car had plug ins near the seats so the kids could plug in their Ipod, DVD player, etc. Didn't hear a peep out of them the whole time! The train had a 'cafe car' where you could get drinks or snacks or microwave items, but many people had brought their food on with them so that was cool to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2010, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Huntersville/Charlotte, NC and Washington, DC
26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Reputation: 41376
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
Took the Amtrak up to DC a few months back for the first time. LOVED IT! That is the way to go! Big roomy seats. Space to move around. Just get on and let someone else do the driving! Our car had plug ins near the seats so the kids could plug in their Ipod, DVD player, etc. Didn't hear a peep out of them the whole time! The train had a 'cafe car' where you could get drinks or snacks or microwave items, but many people had brought their food on with them so that was cool to know.
In 09 I took a train from Alexandria to Newport News (got picked up going to Chesapeake) and back. I was very happy with the service. I took the business class seats which were under $100 for the round trip. Very comfortable and I used my laptop (no internet though ) throughout the whole trip. Pretty smooth ride. Took about four hours which is less time than you'll spend in the car doing that trip from Alexandria to Chesapeake with DC traffic factored in.

Extending it to Norfolk is a great idea. If I decide to move back to the area after graduating, I'll use Amtrak as an alternative to driving in all that traffic to go to DC to hang out with some friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2010, 11:25 AM
 
1,790 posts, read 6,515,777 times
Reputation: 1003
I think its great that Amtrak is back on track . Southeastern rail will also link the area with the DC to Raleigh corridor and could open up a lot of possibilities for our cul-de-sac location. Although the map doesn't show it, another leg of the rail will travel from hwy 460 to Harbor Park to link both the Southside and the Peninsula to the rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2010, 12:32 PM
 
6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
Reputation: 7505
I wonder if I'll be able to get to Pittsburgh? I'd rather take the train, and rent a car than drive up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2010, 07:55 AM
 
37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Reputation: 57142
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I've seen a few articles the past few days about Amtrak extending to Norfolk, so I thought I'd post one of them here. I'm really excited about this, and will definitely take advantage of being able to board a train in Norfolk without having to get off until I reach Boston.

Train travel to reach Norfolk | InsideNova
This is great news. I love train travel, and I think it will be very well-received and a great alternative for many!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 01:49 PM
 
8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Reputation: 2535
Anyone know where the station will be?? It would make sense for it to be close to the Light Rail and/or Greyhound. I hate going to Amtrak Stations that are not inside of the downtown area or are in desolate deteriorating railcentric areas. This may be a great opportunity for Norfolk to do a nice intermodal center with connections to VA Beach. I live in MD but would take Amtrak to VA Beach/Norfolk in a heartbeat to avoid the DC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 02:23 PM
 
6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
Reputation: 7505
The light rail HA What a joke!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 03:38 PM
 
1,700 posts, read 5,929,952 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Anyone know where the station will be?? It would make sense for it to be close to the Light Rail and/or Greyhound. I hate going to Amtrak Stations that are not inside of the downtown area or are in desolate deteriorating railcentric areas. This may be a great opportunity for Norfolk to do a nice intermodal center with connections to VA Beach. I live in MD but would take Amtrak to VA Beach/Norfolk in a heartbeat to avoid the DC area.
I saw a plan for a multi-modal station near Harbor Park. Like a terminal for heavy passenger rail, light rail, and bus. I hope they go through with it. Could be pretty cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top