Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 01:38 PM

44 posts, read 97,592 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I am a Single Young Professional Woman interested in finding out more information about the Norfolk/VA Beach area.

Questions-
Entertainment (Arts, Nightlife, Malls, Restaurants, Sports, etc.)
Diversity
Dating Scene (25-30)
Overall Atmosphere/Vibe of the City
Job Outlook/Industry

Any information will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 10:15 PM

135 posts, read 390,695 times
Surprised no responses yet so Ill try my best here.

Entertainment:
Arts - Theres the Chrysler Hall/Museum in Norfolk. Museum of Contemporary Arts and Sandler Center in Va Beach.

Nightlife - Goin' to movies or bars.

Malls - MacArthur Center in Norfolk, Lynhaven and Pembroke Mall in Va Beach, Greenbriar Mall in Chesapeake.

Restaurants - Few decent local ones and then the chains.

Sports - Baseball in summer. Hockey in winter.

Diversity: Mix of military, blue and white collar. Black, white, asian and some mexican.

Dating scene: See Nightlife. (Or Online)

Overall Atmosphere/Vibe of the city: Conservative, family, maintaining status quo

Job Outlook/Industry: Tough as elsewhere. Looking worse as some military/government jobs are to be eliminated soon. May be better depending on your line of work.

Hope this helps and Im sure there are others that can give a better idea

Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 AM

44 posts, read 97,592 times
@Boxter01-Thanks for the information! I hope I can get some thoughts/opinions from others that view this thread.
From what I've seen on previous threads- It seems like the Norfolk/VA Beach area was not that inviting for young professionals,
but I see from your post that it is a decent area.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 AM

148 posts, read 370,897 times
If you like clubs, there's plenty and enough that will leave you with a multitude of options depending on your music taste. Most of them usually do Top 40 and such though.

With this forum, take the posts with a grain of salt, some people absolutely hate it and some love it; the best thing you can do is come here and experience it for yourself. A lot of people here do have good information though in regards to where to find good housing and what have you though.

Boxter01 is right about the job market, it can vary and fluctuate. Virginia Beach and Norfolk seem to be the main hub as far as jobs go, especially for young professionals but I can't count out the other cities either, this whole area is pretty much just like one big city/suburb all mixed together.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:20 AM

136 posts, read 443,762 times
Entertainment: for musical entertainment look here:
MUSIC EVENTS OUTDOOR OF NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENT
Plus, during the summer, there is free music every night of the week, mostly on the beach.

Sports: besides the baseball and hockey mentioned before, there is also minor league soccer and basketball, and seven colleges with the full complement of sport teams.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
Personally, I found it difficult to meet nice professional women but maybe I didn't try hard enough? I dunno. I think the area is good for married folks if you can find a good job. The area is not especially geared for young professionals but I'm sure that are some around given the size of the area. I would say come and visit a couple of days if you are able to do so. Good luck on your decision.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
Found this info right here on CD for VA Bch.

For population 15 years and over in Virginia Beach city:

Never married: 25.5%
Now married: 57.1%
Separated: 3.2%
Widowed: 4.7%
Divorced: 9.5%

For Norfolk:
For population 15 years and over in Norfolk city:

Never married: 37.0%
Now married: 40.6%
Separated: 5.3%
Widowed: 6.8%

Old 01-21-2011, 12:45 PM

18 posts, read 52,571 times
I think the area can be good for young professionals in that there is stuff going on, but as another young professional who moved here without knowing anyone, it is pretty hard to meet people. Seems like most of the young professionals who do live here are either from the area, and stick to their friends from home, or are married. Anyone had similar experiences?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:16 PM

148 posts, read 370,897 times
Try joining a Meetup.com group in the area; that's always a good way to get to know some people and most likely, people who are in a similar situation who have come from out of the area. Otherwise; it's just like trying to make friends anywhere else. I think the problem we as humans have; is that as we tend to grow older; we find it harder to maybe intermingle or even have the time to go out as much as we used to be able to. Give it some time and find a hobby to occupy yourself with and you will meet people along the way. I think it's like this everywhere but maybe I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area