U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:10 PM

55 posts, read 83,095 times

Advertisements

Looking for opinions on whether or not a single, professional woman over 50 from CT should start a new life in VB area. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 04:06 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,543,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemaryt714 View Post
Looking for opinions on whether or not a single, professional woman over 50 from CT should start a new life in VB area. Thanks
Sure! There's is always something going on the the cool 50 + in the area.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:23 PM

Thanks, from what I've been reading on these forums, I was starting to feel like the only people in the area are young college students and families of 30 somethings. That's what I'm trying to get away from.

Can you give me some specifics?

Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,357,800 times
It's too hard to say yes or no based on what we know.

What are your interests? What is your housing budget? Buy or sell? What kind of a job do you have? What are you looking for in life?

What's good to one person can be hell to another.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 AM

1,653 posts, read 5,398,404 times
I agree that it would help to know more about what you're into, but I will say that Hampton Roads is not just college kids or young families. There's lots or retired military people that were stationed here years ago and just stayed when they left the military. I'll also say that Hampton Roads is a big enough area offering a variety of living environments, so one of them should suit you.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:15 PM

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. Of course, I'm looking to "hang out" with people my own age, who are basically in the same boat as me. Working professional (human resources), single, empty-nester. I love the beach so hence my thought to move near one. I like doing outdoor things, festivals, sporting events. But I also consider myself a "home body". I like having people over for dinner, fellowship, etc. I love animals as well.

My goal is to rent for about a year and see how things go. I would like a 2-3 bedroom condo or townhouse that accepts dogs. I am more comfortable working in a large company as opposed to something under 100 employees.

I've lived out of CT for several years in TX and had a lovely life there. Very nice pace, people very warm and welcoming and that's one of the reasons why I'd like to move "southern" but not more than a day's drive from CT as I still have ties here. I am planning a trip sometime in June/July to meet with a relocation agent and tour the area.

I guess what the old cliches say, a place is what you make it, try it and see if it's for you, don't base your decisions on other people's opinions, you get the rest.

Again, thanks to all of you for your thoughts and I hope to hear back from you.

Rosemary

Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,543,641 times
Quote:
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. Of course, I'm looking to "hang out" with people my own age, who are basically in the same boat as me. Working professional (human resources), single, empty-nester. I love the beach so hence my thought to move near one. I like doing outdoor things, festivals, sporting events. But I also consider myself a "home body". I like having people over for dinner, fellowship, etc. I love animals as well.

My goal is to rent for about a year and see how things go. I would like a 2-3 bedroom condo or townhouse that accepts dogs. I am more comfortable working in a large company as opposed to something under 100 employees.

I've lived out of CT for several years in TX and had a lovely life there. Very nice pace, people very warm and welcoming and that's one of the reasons why I'd like to move "southern" but not more than a day's drive from CT as I still have ties here. I am planning a trip sometime in June/July to meet with a relocation agent and tour the area.

I guess what the old cliches say, a place is what you make it, try it and see if it's for you, don't base your decisions on other people's opinions, you get the rest.

Rosemary
There is alot for people our age. The others who find nothing have not looked. We have a great time socializing and for a working professional, you'll fit right in. DM me for more specific information.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 PM

148 posts, read 337,954 times
Quote:

Excellent quote! Just had to put it out there! If you happen to read this forum as well as a ton of others on City Data, there is always someone talking about doom and gloom and misery and desperation to move! Great to see people who retain at least type of positive attitude!

This area will be what you make it.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:29 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,357,800 times
Quote:

Rosemary
You sound as though you'd be fine here.

As for the old cliche, I can't agree at all. A fish is miserable when out of water and humans are very similar. If you move to some place where you're a fish out of water, you simply won't find happiness regardless of what you try and make out of it.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:11 AM

148 posts, read 337,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
You sound as though you'd be fine here.

As for the old cliche, I can't agree at all. A fish is miserable when out of water and humans are very similar. If you move to some place where you're a fish out of water, you simply won't find happiness regardless of what you try and make out of it.
Eh. Unlike fish, humans can adapt and make use of their new environment outside of their waters if they chose to do so. Some people are moving here for a new experience and might have different interests than you. Moving is always a hard experience on the human mind but they can assimilate; I think the hardest part about moving is not really knowing anyone and that can strike fear and regret, no matter where you end up. Once you've got a friend or two, things start to get a lot easier and getting out there and enjoying what the area has to offer becomes a more positive experience then wandering around alone.

"To each his own" is a better statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area