Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times

Advertisements

Registration don't mean too much down here. I'm not registered with either party yet I tend to sway one way more than the other. We also have open primaries meaning you can vote in whichever primary you want.

You could try the Ghent area of Norfolk... it's about the only "hip" progressive place around... keep in mind it's small though and surround by some bad areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 01:40 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Default Wait, wait!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalarich View Post
....My idea right now is to do a winter rental from Dec 2011 to June 2012 to get an idea of the area, then buy. I'm just trying to narrow it down at this point. But man, I was starting to get excited about this change, but now I'm starting to get depressed that we'll be miserable there. Too bad he's not getting transferred to the other coast...

Koalarich, don't give up on us yet. I'm new here too (little over two years) and I'm still learning what's available.

We do have restaurants that may be considered mainstream but there are some of them with LOTS of vegetarian dishes on the menu. There are some good restaurant threads right here at City-Data that you might be interested in. Before I learned about these forums, I used to go online to the local newspaper to read the restaurant reviews so I could learn what type of restaurants were available. I had to start somewhere, I didn't know anyone here and that was all I could come up with. I don't know if I can post the website address, but the name of the paper is Virginian-Pilot.

I'm in Virginia Beach and we do still have the recycling program. Our recycle containers are picked up every other week. The containers are marked with exactly what is allowed and what will/won't be picked up.

You're not going to be here until Dec 2011? That'll give you plenty of time to do LOTS of looking around, albeit online, at this area. You'll be getting here at a beautiful time of year.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:44 AM

179 posts, read 489,400 times
I live in Chesapeake and my husband works at TC and his commute is around 20-25 min. unless there is some big accident. There are places to go to eat vegetarian and shop organic you just have to look for them. We are not vegetarian but some places we like are Pasha Mezze Local, Organic, Vegetarian & Gluten Free Friendly Mediterranean Restaurant in Norfolk, VA - Pasha Mezze and The Cutting Edge The Cutting Edge Cafe #757-389-5754 for shopping besides the organic sections in the larger chain stores there is also Trader Joes in VaBch and Fresh Market.

Oh and in Chesapeake we also still have a recycling program, our large blue containers are picked up every other week.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:29 AM

148 posts, read 370,694 times
I'm pretty sure all of the cities have recycling programs. Not sure where the information came from that they didn't... I know Chesapeake does for sure. I think some people that post here have since moved out of the area and don't know what's going on anymore.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:03 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Portsmouth and Suffolk both do not have curb side recycling (well, Suffolk does, but it's an extra, optional program you have to pay for now) Both cities have recycling centers where you can bring your recycling material.

Portsmouth hasn't had curbside since the 90's.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:52 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalarich View Post
Thanks for info, everyone. It sounds like we're going to need to branch out a bit from TC to find an area that will fit our needs. My husband's VB colleagues say that traffic isn't bad as long as you're on the same side of all bridges/tunnels as your destination. Does that sound right?

We're used to being surrounded by conservatives; while metro Nashville is 60%D/40%R, the suburb we lived in before was 30%D/70%R. I think we'll be fine in the 50%/50% mix of VB, as long as there are things available for our lifestyle (vegetarian restaurants, farmers markets, recycling centers, organic/vegetarian options at the grocery, outdoor recreation). What about these things?

My idea right now is to do a winter rental from Dec 2011 to June 2012 to get an idea of the area, then buy. I'm just trying to narrow it down at this point. But man, I was starting to get excited about this change, but now I'm starting to get depressed that we'll be miserable there. Too bad he's not getting transferred to the other coast...

VA Beach has a great farmers market at the corner of Princess Anne and Dam Neck. They have a organic market plus usually have stuff going on all the time there too. Plus Trader Joes has organic too. There are also several small mom & pop type organic stores scattered about as well as gluten free stores/markets.

VA Beach has curb side recycling pick up every other week.

Our schools are great, and actually highly rated.

During the warmer moths there are multiple outdoor festivals every weekend.

I admit I'm a "R", but I promise I won't refuse to talk to or hang out with you or even ask you about who you voted for. I can say most others are the same way. I really wouldn't worry much. I'm sure you can find something to do. The most important thing is just to be friendly. I'm sure you'll make friends in no time.

VAB Farmers Market

There are also several vegitarian/vegan friendly resturants around her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area