Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Our neighboring cities and regions are doing quite well. Will HR ever be 'the' place to be?
Yes 9 47.37%
NO 5 26.32%
Are you kidding? 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:27 AM

148 posts, read 370,774 times

Advertisements

Gateway is trash. There's a lot of locally home grown IT companies in the area, the largest that I know of being ESI. Probably one of the best companies I've ever worked with in regards to computer support/IT/sales... just everything.

I'm also surprised at how many people say this place shuts down so early at night, I was out until 2:30am last night and the highways were packed with people coming home from all over the area... Maybe on the weekdays it's not as hot, but the weekends there's a bunch of different things you could attend if you wanted. Probaly more so for younger people than anything else but you never know...

As far as up and coming. I do agree that Norfolk and quite possibly Virginia Beach have this area at bay as far as attracting businesses. I have to admit though that Chesapeake has grown massively over the past 4 years and they keep on building more and more apartments EVERYWHERE...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
I think Chesapeake is doing well. They have an educated populace and an abundance of companies from all over the world really. I'm not one for suburban living persey but they are doing well. I think Norfolk IS trying and light rail is a great start. I think Mayor Fraim is progressively minded has done some great things for Norfolk especially over the last few years. Of course right now the economy is down and a lot of building that would have happened has stalled. Maybe in a few more years things will start to turn around. I can see Norfolk's skyline coming around and the Town Center buildiing out. I think Town Center is a great project and the 50 year plan for the CBD is truly amazing.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:49 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsilon View Post
Gateway is trash. There's a lot of locally home grown IT companies in the area, the largest that I know of being ESI. Probably one of the best companies I've ever worked with in regards to computer support/IT/sales... just everything.

I'm also surprised at how many people say this place shuts down so early at night, I was out until 2:30am last night and the highways were packed with people coming home from all over the area... Maybe on the weekdays it's not as hot, but the weekends there's a bunch of different things you could attend if you wanted. Probaly more so for younger people than anything else but you never know...

As far as up and coming. I do agree that Norfolk and quite possibly Virginia Beach have this area at bay as far as attracting businesses. I have to admit though that Chesapeake has grown massively over the past 4 years and they keep on building more and more apartments EVERYWHERE...
I agree. Normally when I step out (to party), my nights dont wind down until maybe 3 ish which means im probably arriving home at about 4 or sometimes even 5, and even then there are people out and about going to IHop, Waffle House, or some after hours spot. Depends on where you live in the area also. Certain areas may be ghost towns after certain hours.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:58 PM

154 posts, read 388,451 times
It's all been said before but the problem with the area is the lack of jobs for educated, young professionals. Myself and many of my friends would have stayed in the area but there is little to no opportunity there. Many of the people that I know who stayed are unhappy with their job/stuck in bad jobs.

Houses pricing are also a big issue as you pay have to pay a premium to live in HR vs. Richmond (just as an example) and the salaries don't really support this.

If HR can figure out how to keep and attract talented young professionals, it will be up and coming. It's always been a good area to raise children (given sufficient income!)

Old 01-17-2011, 06:24 PM

177 posts, read 654,476 times
Until the 7 cities can at least move in lock step with one another in regards to just above everything that has been discussed (instead of going seven different directions), nothing will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area