Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Our neighboring cities and regions are doing quite well. Will HR ever be 'the' place to be?
Yes 9 47.37%
NO 5 26.32%
Are you kidding? 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:39 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times

Advertisements

It seems all our neighboring regions are up and coming (Richmond, DC, Raleigh, CLT) each carving a niche for itself. Will HR ever be known for more than a military town or tourist area? If yes, how so? If not, why are we not realizing our full potential?

Last edited by citydweller; 01-14-2011 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: add comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 06:22 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
The only possible hope we have is the continued growth of Norfolk. You must have transit and density to really grow. Transit here is dismal, and density is not high.

Even with The Tide, density is still a problem in Norfolk. Since we missed the RE boom we don't have the inventory downtown to make that density happen, and with slow growth and tough financing, I don't see anything being built for quite some time.

There is plenty holding the area back, but those two are major components to it.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,200 times
I wouldn't call Richmond "up and coming" first of all..

secondly, Norfolk's urbanization efforts are characteristic of an "up and coming" city.. give HR a few years.. I do think it willl be considered "up and coming" eventually..

But it's all up to Norfolk, really...

Old 01-15-2011, 10:43 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
What does being urban have to do with being 'up and coming'? The Raleigh area is very suburban in nature (though it does have a proper downtown) yet folks are flocking there from all parts of the country. I would suggest it goes way beyond this and that the local economic climate - universities, synergies, emphasis on education - are all what help contribute to this. Richmond, though maybe not quite in the league of Raleigh, is doing quite well with its many F500 companies and continues to improve its downtown as well. And transit does help but the Raleigh area doesn't have great transit either yet it continues to grow.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,619 times
One would hope, but as long as we're dependent on the government/military, I think not.

I love this area but its just too stagnant. Same 'ol same 'ol.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:37 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
Why does everyone think that the military hinders this area? I guess I am used to it and like it.
Define "up and coming" please.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:17 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
What does being urban have to do with being 'up and coming'?
In Norfolk's case, urbanizing goes hand-in-hand with "up and coming" since it's almost entirely built up. For Norfolk to grow, it has densify or annex a part of a neighboring city to expand its borders. Much like San Francisco or Manhattan, available land is running out in Norfolk so the only thing to do is build upwards. This is good though, in my opinion. Norfolk's development seems to be shying away from the less-efficient and resource-draining ways of suburban sprawl, and obviously they are taking transit-oriented development seriously. I believe Norfolk is one of many cities that has realized that the development patterns of the post-War era may not be the ideal way to develop a city. That maybe ridding itself of its own central business district in the 40's and 50's was not the brilliant idea it seemed like at the time, and that building cities for the private automobile instead of the pedestrian equals traffic issues, parking issues, road-building issues, and sprawl. Because of this, I say Norfolk is already "up and coming." I just hope they don't screw it up somehow.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:00 AM

129 posts, read 359,314 times
Its trying hard to become "up and coming" by building the light rail and trying to get rid of some of its ghettos, but the economy here in HR just simply dosn't support for it. I see more businesses closing than opening. Many locals move out of the area to find jobs, while the majority of people coming in are only because of Navy or for school.

For an area to really bloom fast like NoVA, there has to be a bloom in a certain industry (such as IT in the 90s). Energy/resources/mining are the lucrative industries currently. HR dosn't have any involvement with it. This area is just like Detroit in that theres pretty much only one industry that keeps it ticking: navy, and navy related businesses.

I think HR will grow eventually, but its def not now. The biggest limiting factor I see is the fact that a HUGE % of its population is in "da hood".

Old 01-16-2011, 08:39 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Why does everyone think that the military hinders this area? I guess I am used to it and like it.
Define "up and coming" please.
I wouldn't say the military hinders the area. However the lack of good jobs in many private sector fields in Hampton Roads does. Until HR can attract private companies with quality jobs, HR will be at the mercy of the federal government and defense.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:43 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I wouldn't say the military hinders the area. However the lack of good jobs in many private sector fields in Hampton Roads does. Until HR can attract private companies with quality jobs, HR will be at the mercy of the federal government and defense.
Private companies like Ford left. It was a good thing there were jobs in the contracting sector that helped many recoup from losing a good paying job. Look at Gateway as well...that didn't last too long for the IT community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area