Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 12:36 PM

18 posts, read 52,571 times

Advertisements

So, in my continual quest to find ways to get around this area's traffic problems on my trips out of town, I am wondering if cutting through Ocean View would help bypass some of the traffic. I'd be coming up from downtown Norfolk on Tidewater, would take that to W. Ocean View, and then get on at exit 272 where W. Ocean View ends.

Has anyone ever gone this route before? I'm guessing I'm not the first person with this idea--is the traffic bad on those streets as well? Also, are there any no-turn prohibitions during rush hour like there are at some cut-through streets in Ghent? Any advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 01:54 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
All I can say is a lot of people have the same idea. Also they close the last entrance before the tunnel during heavy traffic, so you'll have to get on before that.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM

18 posts, read 52,571 times
I figured as much. Good to know about the closure--thanks.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:27 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
Yes, alot of others are right there with you. It gets backed up really bad right there at the interstate on ramp, I believe it is 4th street? No one that is on 64 already wants to let anyone merge into traffic. It might take you longer to get on that on ramp than it would to just get on 64 and flow (haha, flow) with the traffic.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:26 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
LOL...I think I am settling in because I say, "Yea! Only a 4-1/2 mile back-up!" versus a 7 mile when going home from VA Beach to Ytown. I try and schedule my days so I am on that side of the water all day just a couple days a week, but it doesn't always work that way.
I will never ever forget though...sitting in traffic and being able to count the number of cigarettes on the ground...seeing a guy in flip-flops, shirt open, walking to the back of his truck, getting a beer out of the cooler and getting back into the driver's seat to enjoy a cold one. I sat there, seriously sat there in PARK and engine off for probably 10 more minutes and wondered if he was drinking and driving...lol. I know the anwer of course...but it puts a whole new meaning to me- drinking and driving or sitting in non-running vehicle but on the interstate.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:47 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,837 times
That was a great short cut years ago before the gate....

Old 01-23-2011, 02:54 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
That was a great short cut years ago before the gate....
I always find it interesting how they close off all the back ways to not only the HRBT, but also the Midtown tunnel, yet traffic hasn't improved, but only got worse after they did that (well, at least at the Midtown)

Old 01-24-2011, 02:02 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
I don't miss HR traffic at all. These days a backup is some toothless eskimo in an old beater and two kids on snow machines, sitting at a stop sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area